Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Monthly ,Man hours in xcl format

4 replies [Last post]
Shazia khan
User offline. Last seen 12 years 9 weeks ago. Offline
Hi-Experts.

Could any one advise how distribute total manhours in to months in xcl.

for example 20000 Manhours, distrbute in 5 months ,

how to calculate first months Mh and 2nd Months Mh so,on,

i am sure it is not equally distribute, 20000/5 4000 Mh.

i want know what is basic logic ,

Best Regards

Replies

Lalit Sisodia
User offline. Last seen 5 years 6 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
S-W-K Shazia,

It is very much possible in excel. You might be getting the straight line s-curve due to the fact that you have 10 similar activities with similar resources.

Please provide more details.

Rodel Marasigan
User offline. Last seen 1 day 11 hours ago. Offline
Shazia,
You can assign a resource curve (i.e. front load, bell, back load..etc) to each resource assigned and it will change the S-Curve distribution.
Shazia khan
User offline. Last seen 12 years 9 weeks ago. Offline
Dear Sir.

Thanks for your reply.

I know well being planner i have to use CPM,

i made a schedule in P6, wheereas 10 activities starting at the same time, with SS rel. with diffrent crew but same type work.

while i loaded resource , the S-curve like a staright line.
even i change activity S-curve and Bucket as well.

then i put this question accross the Expert like you,

i want to see it is possible in XCL.

Best Regards

Andrew Dick
User offline. Last seen 8 years 13 weeks ago. Offline
Shazia,
AAhhhh, the cheap way out.

Why, Why, Why would you even try to do this and use it as a reference for anything?

Come on, let’s get real, were all supposed to be planners, so create a CPM schedule with all activities and resources assigned, then assign the resources required, balance the budgets and then dump the resource spread out into excel by a html report or the SDK.

If we want to have any professionalism and credibility in what we do then we should strive to do the best and most accurate job we can.
Doing this is so wrong, it will come back and bite you later, trust me, every project I’ve seen this method used on runs into trouble as soon as the PM realises how many resources are actually needed in each month.

IT MUST BE DONE WITH A TIME PHASED ALLOCATION OF RESOURCES IN A CPM TOOL. HECK!! EVEN USE MSP OVER EXCEL.

Andy