Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Man hours query

5 replies [Last post]
shafeek abdulla
User offline. Last seen 9 years 4 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Dear all,

Please help me out in couple of queries

1) I have budgeted labour, budgeted non labour (equipment hrs) units for each activity in project. when i calculate progress based on budgeted units alone do i have to consider only labour units as this is direct or consider both and total them and then compare progress.(duration type is fixed units since it is units driven)

2) my activity duration is say 10 days original, budgeted units say 1000 man hrs, the activity is already started and it is 60 percent complete, ie remaining units would be 400 units, and remaining duration 4 days. but the activity still requires another 5 more days making it duration at complete as 15. ie remaining duration is now 9 days(4d+5d). will that change my units at complete from 1000 to 1500? In case it changes to 1500 wat does it actually imply. is it a profit or loss for that activity. 

3) when initially considering the budgeted units, if an activity has 1000 man hrs. wat if in an activity the manpower has more OT and in other words it would go beyond 1000 man hrs right practically. is it the right way. 

Replies

Zoltan Palffy
User offline. Last seen 4 weeks 3 days ago. Offline

duration types 

These Options will be obeyed for duration types with YES

Fixed Duration and UnitsFixed Duration and UPTFixed UnitsFixed UPT
Recalculate Actual Units and Costs when duration % complete changesYESYESNONO
"Update units when costs change on resource assignments" is true and Rate Type is something other then NoneYESYESNONO
When updating Actual Units or Cost, Add Actual to Remaining or Subtract Actual from At CompletionYESNOYESYES
Resource Curves can be assigned to resource assignmentsYESYESNO 

different percent complete types

see my post in another forum look for my post near the botom with the attachment dated 3-18-2013

http://pmsite.com/forums/viewthread/2771/

Kannan CP
User offline. Last seen 4 weeks 2 days ago. Offline

Hi Shafeeq,

Try with % Complete Type as Physical.

Regards

Kannan

shafeek abdulla

Thanks Mr. Zoltan. That was helpful . 

Can you help me out with the Duration type and Percentage type combination and when to use each combination. 

If you can give an example for each combination and the apt combination for each instance that would be helpful.

For eg: Fixed duration & Time and Duration percentage. etc. 

which combination is more apt for a lumpsum project.

I dont find duration percentage handy in shutdown phase only with fixed duration and units. coz in other instances it wouldnt give work fine. for eg: if my activity is 50% duration complete, it indicates 10 day duration to 5days, but in real 50 % work has not been achieved only 30 % has been achieved ie only 300 units completed instead of 500 units out of 1000 units. Here if i put 50 % physical complete and duration type (i dont know), i can manually update units to 300 units in actual, and remaining duration to 5 days as such. when i click schedule again the units go back to 500 units coz of remaining duration as 5 days. 

I have this trouble sometimes. what s the best solution . 

please share your views on this.

shafeek abdulla

Thanks Mr. Zoltan. That was helpful . 

Can you help me out with the Duration type and Percentage type combination and when to use each combination. 

If you can give an example for each combination and the apt combination for each instance that would be helpful.

For eg: Fixed duration & Time and Duration percentage. etc. 

which combination is more apt for a lumpsum project.

I dont find duration percentage handy in shutdown phase only with fixed duration and units. coz in other instances it wouldnt give work fine. for eg: if my activity is 50% duration complete, it indicates 10 day duration to 5days, but in real 50 % work has not been achieved only 30 % has been achieved ie only 300 units completed instead of 500 units out of 1000 units. Here if i put 50 % physical complete and duration type (i dont know), i can manually update units to 300 units in actual, and remaining duration to 5 days as such. when i click schedule again the units go back to 500 units coz of remaining duration as 5 days. 

I have this trouble sometimes. what s the best solution . 

please share your views on this.

Zoltan Palffy
User offline. Last seen 4 weeks 3 days ago. Offline

1) I have budgeted labour, budgeted non labour (equipment hrs) units for each activity in project. when i calculate progress based on budgeted units alone do i have to consider only labour units as this is direct or consider both and total them and then compare progress.(duration type is fixed units since it is units driven)

You need to consider budgeted labor becasue you need to have non labor (equipment in order to do labor) so one is sort of the by -product of the other.

2) my activity duration is say 10 days original, budgeted units say 1000 man hrs, the activity is already started and it is 60 percent complete, ie remaining units would be 400 units, and remaining duration 4 days. but the activity still requires another 5 more days making it duration at complete as 15. ie remaining duration is now 9 days(4d+5d). will that change my units at complete from 1000 to 1500? In case it changes to 1500 wat does it actually imply. is it a profit or loss for that activity. 

If it is unit driven yes it wil change your duration. It implys that you will be over on your labor hours for that activity. It imply that you will overun the budgeted labor hours for this activity so therefore in an individual activity basis this activity is operating at a loss.

3) when initially considering the budgeted units, if an activity has 1000 man hrs. wat if in an activity the manpower has more OT and in other words it would go beyond 1000 man hrs right practically. is it the right way. 

OT does not necessarilty mean that you will go beyond 1000 manhours. Maybe you have to ge the activity done sooner so you work overtime. It still ONLY takes 1000 manhours whast different here is the rate of eqpenditure.