Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

BOQ Loading in P6

9 replies [Last post]
D Artagnan
User offline. Last seen 2 years 9 weeks ago. Offline

Not that I haven't done it before but I wanna have some discussion on how planners load quantities / cost from BOQ. I am currently studying on how to optimize the use of P6 in terms of valuation / claims / time extension cost impact etc...

I would really appreciate all your replies.

Replies

Suresh S
User offline. Last seen 10 years 39 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Hi, any bodies help on this,

1. I hve to load BOQ cost each activiey in the same way i hve to incorpoate labour,Material, Plant and machenaries and OH cost.

Then diff between Monthly Invoice Vs Cost Expentiture.

Cash flows and man power projection.

Regards

Suresh.S

Jowell Cando
User offline. Last seen 10 years 50 weeks ago. Offline

Hi Rafael,

It will help a lot, thanks for the time and knowledge you spend for my queries. I will try to do some exercise that incorporates your comments.

Thanks,

Jowell

Rafael Davila
User offline. Last seen 3 days 23 hours ago. Offline

Jowell,

Can be because non critical activities are ahead of schedule while critical path is delayed.

Take a look at the following figure, it shows the Baseline and Current [Actualization left of DD with revised Projection at right of DD]. Vertical red line represents DD.

Because of the slow progress of activity A the remaining Duration increased to account for delayed remaining work. Activity 9 and 10 RD was revised to be 1/2 initial estimate due to actual progress of other similar activities. Schedules are Dynamic and actualization shall reflect true actual projections. Could have left their RD equal as per Baseline OD but wanted to take the opportunity to take this point as very frequently client reject changes in plans as if plans are static.

photo PROGRESS_zps010ee01a.jpg

If you are measuring progress based on BOQ it might be that actual BOQ progress is ahead but projected end of job is late it can also be that actual BOQ progress is behind but end of job is projected to be early. Progress S Curves even if shown the complete set; Baseline Early, Baseline Late, Actual Progress up to DD, Projected Early Progress after DD and Projected Late Progress after DD tells you where you are and what are the projections at a given time but cannot tell you exactly why.

Best Regards,

Rafael

Jowell Cando
User offline. Last seen 10 years 50 weeks ago. Offline

Hi Rafael,

Just want to ask the cause why a programme for example PLAN 1%, while ACTUAL 2.5% and it

is -18 days delay? is it because backloaded resource or there is something else?

Thanks,

Jowell

Rafael Davila

I do not know what scheduling software was used to manage the Big Dig, but it was a disaster. I bet a lot of significant amount of information was produced. A lot of information, too much as to distract and prevent the users to keep perspective.

In contrast the Empire State building was done in record time and on budget, most probably because managers concentrated not on quantity of cost data but on keeping perspective. It was done prior to CPM becoming into existence.

At home many of us keep perspective by using best fit software for different functions. We do not insist on keeping all under the same database. We prefer to plan our jobs using our software of choice and prefer to control costs via our accounting software job costing module.

Unfortunately some clients with the help of some developers have hijacked the ultimate purpose of the CPM tool, to produce good schedule models and to manage resources efficiently.

We are frequently forced to use tools that speak a foreign language to the construction contractor, that are very poor at managing resources, so bad are some of these tools that the response has been to plan without efficient resource leveling. Just ask any rookie scheduler what is the ultimate purpose of the resource leveling tool and the majority will say "to produce feasible schedules". But feasible schedules are not necessarily good schedules, you got to account for idle resources and by changing resource availability below real availability you can produce better schedules, much better if the resource algorithms are more efficient. Also some of these tools lack for variable assignments forcing the Project Managers to manually assign idle resources, but manual is usually inefficient and time consuming.

There is no such thing in management as one size fits all, forcing the contractor to use tools that are poor at resource management under the excuse of monstrous database on a single tool that is a "Jack of all Trades - master on none"  does not make any good to the industry.

BR,

Rafael

rizwan khan
User offline. Last seen 16 weeks 6 days ago. Offline

i haad look at above blog its quite use full

Rafael Davila

Just keep in mind that;

From: http://www.nflaace.org/index_files/john_orr_cost_loaded_schedule_updatin...

During the course of construction, resource or cost drivers can make CPM schedule calculations invalid. Unpaid remnants of activities in progress (paid to 97% and holding) can distort the schedule by increasing “out-ofsequence” reporting. Schedule updates must provide valid projections of completion in order to support the management team.

Another negative result of payments withheld below 100% is the affect on the record-keeping purpose of the schedule, particularly important in a time impact delay evaluation or dispute resolution. A schedule activity cannot have an actual finish date assigned until it has been statused as 100% complete (schedule, not necessarily cost.) An as-built schedule file with large numbers of activities that were progressed to 97% with then no further progress for several update cycles before reaching 100%, indicates that work was continuing throughout and that comparison between original durations and actual durations will be invalid.

Another approach is to:

• Cost load your schedule to get early and late BOQ payment projections.
  • Progress the job as suggested, treat an activity as complete, 100% schedule completion and an accurate Actual Finish date, when it has reached the point where all its successors can begin. This without making cost adjustments.
  • Submit Payment Requests from a separate worksheet and ignore minor differences.

In this way we get accurate application for payment and an accurate schedule progress with the exception of BOQ progress as shown on the CPM which will be a little bit above actual (as shown on the worksheet).  The difference is usually so small that for practical purposes it is negligible. Because BOQ projections have an early and late curve and at times it happen that progress falls outside the two limits we therefore are not that picky. Anyway it is not uncommon for owners to look for any excuse to delay payments adding to the inaccuracy of the projections. Such granularity we consider useless, even the previously proposed method on the reference we consider a waste of time. We consider such stupid requirement as a dirty trick to delay payments, not a lack of understanding on their part that such granularity adds no real value.

Keep the reference for the case where the contract and owner are so picky as to require this waste of time.

At home even when Spanish speaking KISS stands for Keep It Simple STUPID.

Good Luck.

D Artagnan
User offline. Last seen 2 years 9 weeks ago. Offline

I was thinking of using the Resources as the BOQ Data. It can work as a perfect database for BOQ given the elements such as Description breakdown, unit price, total cost, unit of measurement. Can be used as a backup in valuation easily.

Has anyone done this before?

mimoune djouallah
User offline. Last seen 4 years 42 weeks ago. Offline

Hi

you may have a look at this blog post.

http://www.plannertuts.com/primavera-p6-tutorials/link-the-schedule-to-t...

regards

mimoune