Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Man days

47 replies [Last post]
Arun Vasanth
User offline. Last seen 5 years 7 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: GPC Qatar
Dear Friends

Could u breif me about mandays ?
What is a manday ?/
Hw it is calculating??
In my site it is a 10 + 10 two shift for the structural team and 10 hrs 1 shift for the finishing team ??

How I can calculate the mandays ??????

Please
Expecting a good reply from Mike ....

With regards
Arun.V

Replies

Jay S
User offline. Last seen 9 years 40 weeks ago. Offline
What is the Difference

Mandays = Man per day
Manhours = Man per Hour
Manweek = man per week
Tonnes per Month = Tonnes permonth
Crew Months = Crew Per Month
Diameter Inches
Cable Meters
Terminations

Nothing

As long as you understand what you have inputted what is your physical relevant constraint for that unit etc.

Example if you have one crane that errect 100 tonnes of steel per day. You can put a thousand people to do the task it will not go faster because your constraint is the crane.

Anoon Iimos
User offline. Last seen 2 years 14 weeks ago. Offline
Arun,

Be patient, the discussions has not even started yet, it is just a warm-up.

Mike has an interesting point and I just want to add a situation that maybe hasn’t happened yet but there maybe some possibilities, like for example:

If you are going to enter into a bidding for a contract that would not be measured against prices, but in terms of time, like which Contractor can deliver in the earliest possible time (regardless of the price)?
Rafael Davila
User offline. Last seen 3 hours 16 min ago. Offline
Arun,

Upon your request I will not post under this topic anyomore, I understand you and hope some day PP will include some functionality that allow you to stop e-mails from specific topics and even subscribe to other topics you are interested even when not contributing into the discussion.

Sorry for any inconvenience.

Best regards,
Rafael
Arun Vasanth
My dear friends

Please stop this topic its enough for me ..

With regards
Arun.V
Mike Testro
User offline. Last seen 5 weeks 2 days ago. Offline
Hi Rafael

I once put together a contract package for contractor’s tender where the BOQ had an item for LAD’s per week that the contractor had to put in himself.

Since the number of weeks was a negative the higher the LAD’s the lower the bid.

It certainly sharpened their attention.

Best regards

Mike Testro.
Rafael Davila
Anoon

I would say a contract time is reasonable when it can be achieved under the contract terms without unusual effort, with smooth resource usage.

Usually initial contract durations are given by the designer based on prior experience on similar works. Because every job is unique this is not a universal number.

Through experience you learn a few ways of estimating job durations, for example for a ten stories condo you might estimate 10 weeks for earthwork and foundations, 2 weeks concrete-work/floor or 20 weeks (can be faster depending on particular design), 2 weeks to include roof parapets and machine room concretes and 16 weeks to finish after concrete-work is finished as architectural finishes overlaps concrete-works, plus 6 weeks for final punch list and delivery. As you can see this is a conceptual way of estimating duration. It can also be using a conceptual CPM, a CPM not as detailed but good enough to give you an idea.

For complex industrial jobs a detailed CPM from a consultant would be in order.

About liquidated damages it should be close to the cost per day the Owner loses for not having available the facility on time. This represents loss of business, construction financing and any other cost. If for some reason this is not enough the Owner still have the right to claim for extra cost, although the idea is that this settles the issue. I have never been involved in a case where the Owner claim for extra cost but understanf in legal theory it might happen.

My experience has been that liquidated damages tend to be reasonable; the issue is more with the reasonability on duration. It is not uncommon for conceptual duration estimates to miss particular difficulties that limit the sequence of works.

Best regards,
Rafael
Anoon Iimos
Rafael,

When can you say that a "Contract Time" is reasonable?

Or maybe you can give a clue on how Contract Durations were usually derived?

Or are there methodical or standard basis in deriving contract time or durations so that the implementation of LDs or liquidated damages becomes reasonable and justified?

Best regards
Rafael Davila
Anoon,

If the contract time is reasonable you should be able to schedule your job using standard crews that will yield efficient use of resources and therefore lower cost.

On the other hand if allowed time is not enough you will have to deal with the issue by comparing your options, one is use of larger but less efficient crews, use more formwork at the cost of less re-use, more crews, use of shifts and so. At home at times when the duration is kind of impossible or the use of other methods is more expensive than liquidated damages, we estimate an allowance for liquidated damages and oops! finish 20 to 30 days late, blame the Owner for delays and most of the time end up not paying liquidated damages at all.

About recommending software, it got to be your choice, but if you are serious about resource loading your job, and better be as no job is done without resources, select one that gives you true float under resource leveling otherwise your Project Manager when looks at the available float will be misled and most probably make the wrong schedule adjustments.

It is unbelievable how many software, over 90% of the options, misled the contractor under resource leveling and they, the client, don’t even know it, or don’t complain or even sue the software vendor or CPM consultant for damages by knowingly misleding the client about float. Remember software companies have no professional liability as a designer or doctors have, they are not bound by the same standards, a disclaimer note is enough to allow them for any low performance without resposibility, for most it is just about making money, looks and marketing takes precedence over substance.

If you want to talk about my software of choice capable of providing true float we will have to do so under “Lets Challenge Spider” that has become kind of a monstrous thread where topics are at random and there is no way you can go back without reading such monstrous thread every time you are interested in a particular topic. Yes kind of useless but these are the rules we are bound to obey as per moderator’s instructions.

Best regards,
Rafael
Anoon Iimos
Hi Rafael,

Before asking you on which software do you recommend, please allow me to revert to the question.

From man-hours to man-days, you said that it has a relation that needs to be defined.

Now, from man-hours to man-days into the given or specified duration. For example: A given Contract Duration of 100 Days. or say a 10,000 Man-hours Contract,

How do you relate your crew to the given Contract Duration?

As it may happen that when you assign crew, it does not necessarily mean that it will take you 100 days to complete the job.

Best regards
Rafael Davila
Anoon,

Man-days are related to hours per day, you got to define your relationship. It is kind of a standard relationship to mean one man-day = 8 man-hours, of course you can re-define it, you are correct. It might be that work on an offshore rig is based on longer hour shifts as to optimize living headquarters capacity.

If you have different duration shifts or might this happen you will be better off by using man-hour as your unit of labor work.

About letting your software drive activity duration based on availability of resources you got to be careful.

Work requiring 2 men for 5 days does not means 1 man will take 10 days, probable no work can be performed if working alone; it will take forever for a single man.

I prefer to use crews for our type of work, the production of the crew defined as a group as adding more men to the crew does not necessarily will increase production. Even tools and equipments are tied to crew production for most construction work activities. Because there are economies of scale as well as diseconomies of scale, a crew usually has an optimal size, this is the one you target under normal conditions.

On the other hand there are activities that do not require work to be performed by a crew working together; this can be the case of design work and software development.

Because this is not necessarily true for all industries or for all activities within a single industry the software provides you with the tools that allow you to select the option that best models your needs.

Best regards,
Rafael
Anoon Iimos
Hi Rafael,

From Man-hours to Man-days, I may ask about resource allocation.

I supposed when you say Man-day, it means one (1) individual assigned in one day (regardless of the number of hours with a maximum of 23 hours, 59 minutes, and 59 seconds).Is this right?

If you have defined one day as 8 working hours, then your Man-day would mean 8 Man-hours?

Now, if you are given a task with a specified Duration of 10 days (with 8 hours per day), can you call this task a 10 Man-day task or an 80 Man-hour task, without considering a crew or a practical resource allocation?

Regards
Rafael Davila
Mike,

Arun in his initial posting made reference to the issue on shifts, quote "In my site it is a 10 + 10 two shift for the structural team and 10 hrs 1 shift for the finishing team ??"

His question about man-hours and shifts go to the bare bone of scheduling. He made it clear he understand what man-hours is, he made it clear he was looking for other point of views regarding the scheduling of man-hours and modeling of shifts.

If we are interested on the issue of modeling shifts as it relates to man-hours shall we also move to "Lets challenge Spider"? Then, why not moving all threads into "Lets Challenge Spider".

His question on “How it is calculating?? I understood it as how the scheduling software distributes man-hours allocation and calculates cost from it. Because like you, at home we are required to keep our schedule balanced with the assigned budget some question came from my part as how to model my need to assign “extra” personnel with the knowledge they will not be available all time, that I need to model the assignment of 13 men as on average I will get 12 men every day at the jobsite, on average one will always be absent or be assigned temporarily to other activities.

This is a scheduling and planning forum; in these days no serious job is done without the use of computer software, there is no way you can discuss these themes without getting into the functionalities of available software.

A few days ago I received an e-mail from PP regarding the possibility of organizing the forum by industry. What if someone else is discussing functionality under an industry different from mine, in such case will I be able to move the thread into my industry specific area or shall I create a parallel thread under my industry? No matter how you organize the forum some overlapping will always occur.

What about the inability of most software to show correct float under resource leveling, incapable of showing true float even under a 2 activities resource leveled schedule. Most software for decades have been misleading people into believing available float as shown in their output is always correct. It is such an abominable error it should be reminded constantly; otherwise we would be promoting lies. Is this also to be required to be kept under a single topic? Probably a permanent listing of all possible topics must follow so we keep our discussion on a single specific topic as defined by PP admin.

Maybe your insistence on banning lag should be kept under a single permanent forum thread, say under "Let’s Challenge Mike". I don’t really believe you should be silenced, although I do not agree with you in this issue you are not alone and your insistence on the traps on this issue is valid, it is good someone remind us of this.

Best regards,
Rafael
Mike,
we discussed calculating man-days. I am sorry that complex cases (like separate calculation of work and idle hours) led to Spider functionality.
Shall we restrict all discussions by innocent simple cases that MS Project can support?

Best Regards,
Vladimir
Mike Testro
Hi Rafael Hi Vladimir

This inocent thread has been hijacked and turned into another "Lets challenge Spider".

Please stop it.

I have asked admin to set up a dedicated forum for you two to chat to each other undisturbed by moderators and anyone else for that matter.

Best regards

Mike Testro

PS - you could always ask to be moderators.
Rafael Davila
Vladimir,

This ride is better than the rides at Six Flags theme parks.

Batman the ride

I will copy paste this posting of yours for future reference.

Thanks,
Rafael
Rafael,
you can create hammock activity Idle Hours and assign there your resources whose idle hours will be paid using special rates. This activity shall start from the moment when resources start to be used and to the end of their usage.

These assignments shall be with Variable Quantity and Workload. Minimals shall be set Zero. Set this in the assignment Properties.

If resources are paid for work hours and their rates were defined in resource table then add assignment cost per hour at this assignment that may be negative.

Resources will be assigned to this hammock activity when they are idle.

If machines are paid for hours (not for work) their costs shall be assigned to hammocks that last from the first to the last use of the machine.

You will like variable assignments. For an example you can define that some activity can start if 6 workers are available (minimal quantity) and others may join when become available until the total number of assigned workers will become 12 (maximal quantity).

And vice versa - if 12 workers perform the work and other activity with higher priority require workers, 6 of them may be moved there and return after the job will be finished.

Very useful in practical scheduling.

Best Regards,
Vladimir
Rafael Davila
Vladimir,

Got it, they will be paid for hours of work, I did not know I had an option for selecting to pay for the calendar hours, but it makes sense when you schedule equipment to work a percentage of time and pay rent per hour, the same when you absorb traveling time, you pay unproductive hours.

With this functionality I can justify the allocation of 14 persons to an activity with the knowledge they will not be always there, this is good, keeps transparent your planning.

It seems like this functionality can accommodate all my needs and more I ever thought.

Best regards,
Rafael
13 workers will do the work faster that 12 and you will pay for less hours. With 92% workload they will do the work for the same time but everybody will work 92% of activity duration and again will be paid less if they will be paid for hours of work.
You can select to pay for the calendar hours if it is the rule.
Best Regards,
Vladimir
Rafael Davila
Vladimir,

Maybe it is a matter of your definition of what a PM is. This term has been prostituted here, what many years ago was a Project Engineer is today labeled as Project Manager and what was named Project Manager gets a VP of Operations or other title to satisfy his ego.

The PM, previously the Project Engineer, is not allowed to change plans he must follows plans from upper management and even the VP of operations must justify changes in planning and follow the estimate budget in his planning. Of course not on every minor detail.

Formal Plan and what actually happens at the jobsite is another thing, if the Project Engineer does not react in appropriate way, he will get into trouble. He is always being monitored.

About my issue with showing a demand for 13 workers but at the same time complying with the assigned budget for 12 workers it occurs to me that maybe 92% assignment can do it. Remember this is also new functionality available in Spider but not in Primavera SureTrak.

Best regards,
Rafael
Rafael,
here the pre-contract estimates are usually based on the common construction norms. I think that Means database can be considered as the analogue.

But each company has its own specifics that may differ from what was considered in these common norms (specific equipment, machines, personnel with certain qualification, etc.). The crew that is used on the certain work can be different if to compare with Means proposals, sometimes the technology may be different too.

The schedule based on the common databases may be established as the contract schedule (and cost). Doing the work construction manager may want to accelerate some works, to assign additional or different resources (excavator that is not quite the same as the example). And managing the construction the Contractor wants to get some profit - it means to perform the work cheaper than in the baseline.

In any case it is not obvious that the Contractor at any moment will have all resources that are necessary by estimates available, and if, vice versa, there are more workers than necessary by estimates some of them will go home instead of doing some useful job joining the crews.

Here resources are assigned by site managers basing on the schedule and availability. It would be considered as nonsense if the work with estimated amount of workers 12 will not start if we have only 10 workers available, and if we will sent 2 workers home if there are 14 of them. And it is usual to pay for the amount of work (volumes), not for the hours. Idle hours are paid for the special rate.

Best Regards,
Vladimir
Rafael Davila
Mike and Vladimir,

I doubt my clients would let me schedule resources without following the estimate, there is much thought about it and production rates are adjusted for the particular job if need be. For example formwork reuse might vary from job to job, might depend on allowable construction joints, estimated production might depend on the height of vertical shoring and so many other variables considered to the minute detail by the estimator and before bidding reviewed at a meeting.

I am talking about the contractor’s bid estimate he warrants with a Bid Bond, not an insurance but a bond that will require the principals of the construction company for personal warranties, will require the approval of his wife, will require an indemnity agreement and finally will require his sons and dog as additional warranty. This is not like the conceptual estimate an architect does, because of competition the profit margin is very low. They are very serious about it and if you change it they will kick your butt.

The issue I always wondered on how best to deal with is the fact that although theoretically you might be required a crew of 12 for certain activity you will not get the crew during all the activity work days, because of vacations leave, because of sickness, absenteeism or because an unexpected issue required you to temporarily move the personnel. If I assign 13 men to the activity it will satisfy our needs but will not follow the budget. Any suggestion will be welcomed.

Best regards,
Rafael
Mike Testro
Hi Vladimir

I am looking at it from the Contractor’s veiwpoint where the estimator set out the production rates before the job starts.

The project manager should use these estimated production rates in his resource modelling as this is the only way to establish the inegrity of the "Time - Cost - Scope" triangle during construction.

Best regards

Mike Testro.
Hi Mike,
I have thought that resource assignments are made by project manager.
I think that we discuss the problems from the different points of view. The Client relies on the estimations, the Contractor does the real job. Do you mean the Client view?
Best Regards,
Vladimir
Mike Testro
Hi Anoon Hi Vladimir

The person who assessed the productivity of all aspects of the project is the estimator who won the job.

There is no point in trying to establish different production rates in the programme.

The estimate should be broken down into Labour - plant - materials - O’heads etc.

It is the labour and plant sections that should be used to drive task durations.

If the estimator has got it wrong then the problem will soon be disclosed and he will benfit from the feed back.

Best regards

Mike Testro
Anoon Iimos
Hi Vladimir,

"Different projects usually consist of different sets of activities, but resource assignment productivities on the same activity types are the same."

For me, this is quite right (Mike..?), "resource assignment - productivity" (for human resource) is subject to skills, culture, experience, education, etc., etc.

For machines? - I supposed it depends from where it was made from

cheers
Hi Amom,
resource assignment productivity depends on the type of activity where this resource is assigned.
Doing something manually or with the help of some machine are different activity types. So assigned crews are different and productivities are different.
Different projects usually consist of different sets of activities, but resource assignment productivities on the same activity types are the same.
Best Regards,
Vladimir
Anoon Iimos
Hi Mike and Vladimir,

I supposed this refers to Resource Allocation and Productivities in general - subjectivity and limitations.

When using a machine (i.e. for excavation), work maybe faster, but there are instances that you are not allowed to, for example: within an existing running plant, space limitations, maneuverability, etc.

This makes productivities unique (or projects), you might be able to get similar projects, but there will always be differences.

Best regards
Mike Testro
Hi Vladimir

The discussion is about Man Hours / Man days but you are right that in some tasks machine hours are predominant.

In this case the productivity of the "lead" machine drives the duration.

As you well know the output of the excavator has to be balanced by the number of haul units that are assigned to it and if there are not enough haul units for the turn round distance then the excavator will be working below peak capacity.

Best regards

Mike Testro
Mike,
there are people and machine hours.

You suggest to work with Man-Hours.
Sometimes the crew productivity depends on Machine productivity.

You use cost as the initial information for estimating Man-Hours. We usually work different way - calculate costs basing on resource usage.

Assigning both Volumes of work, Duration and the Crew means that you defined resource productivity.
It is easier to work with productivities directly. In other case the probability of assigning different productivities to similar works is too large.

Best Regards,
Vladimir
Mike Testro
Hi Anoon

You are quite right regarding the definition of resource allocation.

With my simple method productivity rates are not required - just the number of Man-Hours balanced by the gang size.

Best regards

Mike Testro
Anoon Iimos
Hi Mike,

In my opinion, when you say Hours, Days, Weeks etc., it means Duration; while when you say Man-hours or Man-Days, then that’s a Resource Allocation (a unit combination), considering productivity rates (which is subjective).

I’m not considering any software, the common mistake I supposed is simply the "guesstimates" when putting or defining activity or task duration, without looking or considering any productivity rates.

Best regards
Mike Testro
Hi Anoon

The term "Hours" is a convenient way of describing the resource work load of 1 operative in 1 hour - "man hour" if you like.

The hours can be rounded up to the number of hours in a work day - it would then be a "man day"

Man days would be levelled in the usual way by setting a limit on deployment and letting the software do it for you - although I prefer to do it myself manually if there is more than 1 resource to be levelled.

If you have key resources then they can be allocated to the relevant tasks alongside "hours" but not resource modelled - they can then be levelled independantly but within the max "hours" over ride.

This is anothder benefit from a bottom up plan - only 1 resource per task gives better levelling results.

Best regards

Mike Testro
Anoon Iimos
Hi Mike, Now you see the confusions that Man-days caused. By the way, for me, "Hours" is not a resource, it is simply time; and Shanmuga, 26 Days is only 26 Days, - 26 Man-days is another thing; Ferdinand, Yes, I supposed that’s the definition of Man-days Now, How do you level Man-days?
Mike Testro
Hi Anoon

I have described my very simple method of resource modelling before in this forum.

1. I have only 1 resource called hours.

2. Hours are extracted from the cost plan by way of extracting the labour value and then dividing by the local hourly rate.

3. Hours are then allocated to the respective tasks on a pro-rata basis.

4. The task duration is then generated by a suitale gang size.

This method has a number of beneficial side effects including.

1. The extra time generated by increased quantities is automatic.

2. Regular progress reports will also feed back to the cost valuation.

3. There is a direct link between scope of works and time.

4. There is no requirement for lots of labour outputs.

And it takes about 4 hrs to fully resource up a big programme.

FARTFM = Find and read the fascinating manual.

Best regards

Mike Testro
Jash Sales
User offline. Last seen 12 years 12 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Arun,

you must be enlightened by reading this : http://discuss.joelonsoftware.com/default.asp?biz.5.489939.22
Ferdinand U.
User offline. Last seen 6 years 34 weeks ago. Offline
this applies to 1 person/worker per day for each activity, right?
Shah. HB
User offline. Last seen 18 weeks 5 days ago. Offline
Thanks Pandian

How would you link above instance with man/day ?
Shanmuga Pandian ...
User offline. Last seen 12 years 3 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Mr Arun ,
Let us take rebar installation ,
Act 100 has 10 days - 10 hrs working = 100 hrs
Act 200 has 20 days - 8 hrs works = 160 hrs
Total hrs = 260 hrs

If you consider 10 hrs is equal to 1 day then rebar installation is 26 man days .

Regards ,
TN Shanmuga
Anoon Iimos
Hi Mike,

Seriously, How do you consider Man-days? Others maybe arguing on resource levelling, s-curve generations, what’s the best way to measure progress, etc., When I supposed it all comes from productivities and basically that is Man-days or Man-hours, and how you calculate or estimate a task duration.

Question No. 2: What is FARTRTFM?

Best regards
Mike Testro
Hi Arun

In my case it is usually FARTRTFM.

Best regards

Mike Testro
Anoon Iimos
thanks Simon, now I realized that asterisks are really that important (I counted it, and it spells right).
Simon Martin
User offline. Last seen 8 years 6 hours ago. Offline
Groups: None
Read The ******* Manual
Arun Vasanth
RFTM?????
It should be some bad words because its came frm mike....
Anoon Iimos
Hi Arun,

Sorry, just give way to elders, someday you’ll be in the same situation (hopefully).

Going back to "Man-days", this may sound basic, but I believe not everybody really understands this (including me). What if you say "Crew-Days"?

When making a schedule, you simply guesstimate the "Duration" and this is usually in man-days (even without knowing it). Say you put 6 Days duration for an activity, even without having any idea on what resource(s) to be assigned.

Further, I supposed that not All really think of Crew(s), the first time they draft a schedule.

By the way, Mike, what do you mean by RTFM?

cheers
Arun Vasanth
Hai Mike
Every time I have noticed about your charector ...
Please mike behave like a gentle man.Y u r ditching every body ??? Pleaseeeeee....
With my 10.5 Experience do u think that I dont know Manday??? Just I want to compare my knowledge with you like experienced hands....

Sorry Mike ...
This not fair...

With regards
Arun.V
Mike Testro
Hi Arun

A very simple reply.

You have been planning for 10.5 years and you still do not know about basic resource modelling?

What have you been doing in all that time to develope your planning expertise.

The best thing you can do is RTFM.

Best regards

Mike Testro
Anoon Iimos
while waiting for a reply from Mike, I supposed this might help:

Man-day - No. of Man per day

for example: if you say 10 Man-days (to complete a task) - it means, it will take 10 days for one Man to finish a certain task, so if you assign two men, then the duration will shorten to 5 Days.