Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

FF followed by SS is ALWAYS bad scheduling?

46 replies [Last post]
Gary Whitehead
User offline. Last seen 4 years 45 weeks ago. Offline
There’s been many threads on PP discussing the use of non-FS relationships in schedules. Some people think non-FS relationships should never be used, others think there are certain circumstances in which they can be justified.

I tend to agree with the latter, but I want to know if anyone can think of a situation in which the following logic could be justified:

Activity A drives Activity B with an FF relationship
Activity B drives Activity C with an SS relationship
(all 3 activities are standard ASAP tasks)

The obvious issue being with this particular arrangement that the longer the duration of Activity B, the earlier Activity C can start.

Cheers,

G

Replies

Mike Testro
User offline. Last seen 4 weeks 4 days ago. Offline
Hi Safak

You have come in late to a discussion that is pretty well rounded up.

If you read the entire thread you will find that your propsition has been dealt with at length.

Best regards

Mike Testro
Safak Vural
User offline. Last seen 3 years 44 weeks ago. Offline
Dear Planners,

An example to the question of the topic:

Process Engineering
Activity A Interface Matrix Study
Activity B System X P&ID
Activity C Line List

You can start working on P&ID’s without waiting the interface study but you cannot finish the work without completing it.

You shall start studying the Line List with the P&ID’s. (If you are certain about all lines handled you can issue a Line List before P&ID and leave the details to the ISOS and other data sheets, Specs etc.)

A – FF – B
B – SS – C

Just an example when I brainstorm there will be another solution for sure. I am also a supporter of FS links but the life of a planner is not just easy to handle every situation with FS’s (Especially information gathering and time constraints are in real).

Regards,

Safak VURAL

Mike Testro
Good Morning Gents

Vladimir - In powerproject you create a buffer by setting up a normal task with FS links in and out and the "make into" a buffer with the drop down task menu.
Yes you can allocate resources to it but there is not much point when it is just absorbing float.

Rafael & Raphael - I use hammocks to summarise trade packages as a sub section of the programme. For insatnce Mechanical Engineering tasks would be filtered and added to the respective hammock this allows cost and supervision etc to be added to the trade specific hammock.
This is also useful for determining the ALAP link point for design and procurement because the start of the hammock will always be the end of design and procurement - even if the task sequences in the programme is changed.
In Powerproject you cannot link directly to a hammock so I put a summary bar over the hammock and link to that.

Best regards

Mike Testro
Raphael M. Dua
User offline. Last seen 2 years 28 weeks ago. Offline
Rafael

Thanks for that

I especially like your idea of all learning centres having a couple of copies of Micro Planner.

In fact in Australia and new Zealand that is the case with some universities who teach Arrow and Precedence Diagrams.

It is only our friends! in the US who have trouble with ADM

We do in fact provide the Universities with cheap version of X-Pert, provided it is not used commercially.

Raf
Rafael Davila
User offline. Last seen 8 hours 20 min ago. Offline
Raphael,

What you have described is what I always understood for a hammock. One of my uses for hammock is General Job Overhead to which I assign a monthly cost, the longer the job takes the more overhead.

Every time a new piece of software comes out existing terminology seems to take on new meanings. Yes this is true and when this happens I kind of start disliking the product, it creates confusion, the best at this is MS Project.

By the way I believe that Micro Planner being the only software that can handdle activity on arrow should be used to train those seriously interested into the theory of CPM. All learning centers should at least have a couple of licences.

Vladimir,

Hammock and WBS activities are similar but not the same, just in case you see both names in CPM software. Hammock start is tied to the start of a selected activity and end also to the end of another activity. WBS activities are not tied to a specific activity but to the start and finish of a group of activities.

About buffer activities you can refer to Critical Chain theory, but adjust the factor from 0.50 of chain to 15% of total project duration, is overkill for construction jobs, while for industrial maintenance jobs may be on target.

You can download a shareware add-on from CCPM+, I believe you know very well about it and the Critical Chain concept, I suspect Spider Team do not believe in the concept and push for their handling of uncertainty with their own approach, as a matter of fact this is a functionality I dislike about Spider Project. I like the application of buffers as per Critical Chain theory but believe buffer size is better estimated using Monte Carlo or even better the hands down approach, a suitable percent of total project duration.

This SCL Protocol is the first ever to include the concept and I praise them for this. It reserves ownership of some float to the contractor, a legal issue where we do business.

Best regards,
Rafael
Raphael M. Dua
Folks

According to Max Widemans Glossary a Hammock is an

Activity, joining two specified points, that span two or more activities.
Note 1: Its duration is initially unspecified and is only determined by the durations of the specified activities.
Note 2: Hammocks are usually used to collect time-dependent information, e.g. overheads. [D04582]

According to what we described in ICT back in 1964 when we developed Hammocks in ICT 1500 PERT

Hammock Activity

A Hammock is a special link that stretches from the start of one task to the finish of another. Unlike other links, it calculats its duration by figuring out the elapsed time between the two tasks. In other words, you do not allocate a duration to a hammock -it assigns its own. Furthermore, a Hammock link can carry all the information that you would enter for a task, such as resources and labels.
The primary function of a Hammock is to apply fixed resources or costs over a particular phase of the project -the longer the Hammock stretches, the more it costs.
In addition, Hammocks can be used to summarize parts of the network as single bars on a Gantt chart. If these are placed strategically through the network, they can be used to report the broad outlines of the project -minus the detail.

When you are describing "Hammock" is this what you mean?

Every time a new piece of software comes out existing terminology seems to take on new meanings.

Raf
Hi Anoon,

adding delivery schedule we add activities to the current schedule. It does not make sense to create poor schedule and then improve it. In the large schedule it is not easy to find what shall be changed in thousands of activities and links. If the proper schedule will give necessary results why to create the wrong one?

Best Regards,
Vladimir
Mike,
you wrote: No - the buffer task starts when the handover period begins - FS - and ends when the new chap starts again FS.

Do you mean that buffer task is hammock and the link is from hammock activity to some regular activity?

Hammocks are linked different ways in different software. In Spider Project links are TO hammocks because their start and finish dates depend on other tasks and not vice versa.

In any case people shall do their work until the finish event happens. Why buffer and what does it mean?

Best Regards,
Vladimir
Mike Testro
Hi Rafael

Thanks for that explanation.

Does the "soft link" appear and disapear with timing and resource availabilty automatically in the software or do they have to be removed and/or reinstated by hand?

Best regards

Mike Testro
Rafael Davila
"Soft link" = Where there is a limited resource trade on a number of work fronts I use a FS link between the locations. They are called soft because the link appears and disappears with timing and resource availability.

If you increase resource availability the link might no longer exists, then if you don’t remove the relationship link (call it soft link or resource link if you will) you will get the wrong schedule. The schedule cannot be unleveled under the presence of these "soft links".

The term is everywhere in the US CPM literature, and some of our specs prohibit the use of soft links.
Mike Testro
Hi Rafael

"Twice I do not understand it because you do not believe in resource leveling and to this purpose you make use of “soft links” "

I do use resource levelling when necessary but I never use the software facility - I prefer to control whats going on.

Where there is a limited resource trade on a number of workfronts I use a FS link between the locations.

I have asked this before - what is a "soft link" - no body has told me yet.

Best regards

Mike Testro
Mike Testro
Hi Vladimir

"create a buffer task that will be in place for as long as is necessary."

"Yes and it is necessary until the next task starts - still SF link."

No - the buffer task starts when the handover period begins - FS - and ends when the new chap starts again FS.

BTW Powerproject does work volume lead lags too - never used them.

Best regards

Mike Testro
Anoon Iimos
User offline. Last seen 2 years 13 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Vladimir,

I’m trying to recall your statement in other thread (I forgot, sorry), it says something like: "we model first construction works and as a result we can model deliveries"?

I supposed the first time you run your schedule using "SF" (considering the above-mentioned statement), it will give you correct dates (forget about float(s) - most clients I supposed never bother about it - at first).

You can always show your schedule without links (relationship lines), but can highlight the dates.

What’s wrong if it just to present dates (scheduled dates) in the first place?

cheers!
Hi Suraj,
we still don’t recommend to use SF links.
Only few occasions justify them and these accasions are rare.

The procuremet and installation activities shall be linked by FS link with the positive Lag but the procurement activity shall be defined as ALAP (if you don’t use MS Project!).

SF means that procurement can finish some time earlier that the installation (negative lag time) but may be delayed without delaying the installation!!!

Best Regards,
Vladimir
Mike Testro
Hi Nigel

Wouldn’t a FS link do the same thing?

Best regards

Mike Testro
Nigel Winkley
User offline. Last seen 2 days 15 hours ago. Offline
Groups: The GrapeVine
Only ever found one use for SF relationship - shift handover/equipment replacement.
E.g. the ’old’ chap cannot leave until the ’new’ chap has started, or the old equipment cannot be removed until the new equipment is installed and working/commissioned.
Rashid Iqbal
User offline. Last seen 12 years 30 weeks ago. Offline
Hi all,

All relationship types are logical and so can be used ……..but….the user should know the intricacies of the type of link being used and the way they will make activities behave in different circumstances. One should try avoiding SF and negative lags ( A FF with a positive lag is better than an FS with a negative) other than that all is ussally manageable.

Thanks.

Anoon Iimos
User offline. Last seen 2 years 13 weeks ago. Offline
That could be valid as well considering a bulk foundation on grade where you can strike the side formworks in a few hours as long as the concrete has set and not be damaged.

Concrete curing is not necessarily a fixed time. It is to be specified.
Mike Testro
Hi Nigel

This is the only time I use a lead lag link - FS + curing time.

It is essential that you put the ED calendar on the link so that it will still cure over non working periods.

Best regards

Mike Testro
Nigel Winkley
User offline. Last seen 2 days 15 hours ago. Offline
Groups: The GrapeVine
How about a situation as follows...
"Pour(Bulk) Concrete" with a SS to "Curing Time"?
Or even a FF with lag?
Could you say that was valid?
Gary Whitehead
Hi Basir,

Thanks for your example. But would this situation not be better reflected by having a seperate activity ’excavate swimming pool’, driving the pipework via an FS relationship? Or at least driving pipework with a lagged SS from the civils?
The FF followed by SS method you describe would mean that should the duration of the swimming pool works be extended (e.g. due to lack of available resource), the pipework could be scheduled to start earlier than the civils.
Raphael M. Dua
Folks

At the 2006 PMI COS conference a paper entitled “Scheduling 101: A “Behind – the – Scenes” Look at Basic Schedule Calculation was presented by Scott W Cramer, James L Jenkins, and Joseph J Orczyk¹. In the paper they present a “Comparison between AON and PDM” (page 8), in which they make a case for using Precedence Diagram Method for overlapping tasks using three basic construction tasks. They then demonstrate the process of overlapping the three PDM tasks and how the critical path computations are calculated.

In their example of using Start to Start and Finish to Finish links to simplify the network, they clearly demonstrate a major flaw in the PDM calculations. This flaw is known to many planners and schedulers as “Lag Drag”, where the Earliest Start of the task is dragged to the right, because the software used subtracts the duration from the Earliest Finish Date, Jenkins, Kramer and Orczyk state “….. the ES value is then calculated by EF minus Duration

Lag Drag is where the Earliest Start of a Task is dragged to the right due to a longer task progressively feeding a shorter task and SS and FF links have been used to define this overlapped work. This phenomena is due to the way PDM computations are calculated, .i.e. ES = EF – duration rather than the normal ES calculation as defined by Henderson 1998 ² which says that “The earliest start time for each activity (i,j) is equal to the earliest possible time for the preceding event E(i):” in other words

ES = PEE

Using an arrow diagram to define overlapping (progressive feed) activities does not suffer from the lag drag problem provided the software programme follows the ladder convention

I have a paper which I presented at PMICOS earlier this year which defines the term Progressive Feed and the definition of a Ladder and demonstrate as well the appropriate calculations to prevent lag drag.

As I was one of the three people at ICT back in 1964 who created Ladders, I think I have a fair degree of understanding of what the Planner is meant to be doing when using the Ladder Facility, which the PDM tried (and failed) to mimic with SS and FF.

I cannot see how one would have any case of using a start to start after a finish to finish

My paper is 14 pages,which is bit o the long side to include here. If you would like a copy e-mail me at raf@microplanning.com.au

You may be interested to know that CIOB in the UK are looking at the use of Ladders in complex project planning

BTW is there a way for me to insert a word file into a Planning Planet response

Raf

Basir Ahmed
User offline. Last seen 14 years 24 weeks ago. Offline
About using the FF and then SS relation.
Here is an example:

Let us consider you have been given the responsibility to construct a swimming pool.
So you start with the construction of changin rooms, the entrance, showers etc. and you want the the construction of swimming pool to finish alongside civil works. you have another activity in this job called the piping works(for Water, both for pool and showers etc.)
because u have a tight schedule, instead of realting the piping works to the other civil work you relate it to the swimming pool activity.

To my understanding there can be two reasons for this:
1. all three jobs may be carried out simultaneously.
2. you need piping for the swimming pool too, for which you need to have the pool area excavated. before which u just cant not start the piping work.

Site Survey`````______
Civil work````````````|_______________________________
Swimming Pool```````````````__________________________|
Piping works```````````````|________

Regards,

Basir Ahmed
Mike Testro
Hi Shahul

When has anyone ever used a SF link between tasks?

You would be building it backwards.

Best regards

Mike Testro

Shah. HB
User offline. Last seen 18 weeks 18 hours ago. Offline
Even i some contracts i found that in programming section they have mentioned programming baseline should be free from SF link ,FS with negative links to be avoided unless stated by | Engineer
Rafael Davila
Gary,

Driving can kill you or you can kill others, even both. Therefore driving is to be banned in the UK. If not at least you should be banned, you are a wreck less driver. Watch out I am worst, especially if driving in one of the few countries that drive on the wrong side of the road, crazy people. Your license is hereby suspended for 3 years.

FF followed by SS seems like a bad idea. Precisely this is the kind of rules that all CPM software should have embedded so that as soon as the software detect this a dialog box appears warning you about the risks and unless you waive it within the dialog box the software will not let you apply the link.

I always avoid using SF and FF relationships, tying a predecessor to the finish of a successor are kind of awkward, but “never say never”. My exception to this rule is when I try to mimic “laddering” a special type of activity created by the British, my approach is not the same and still within limits can cause some awkward logic results. Here I use SS (no problem) and FF (slippery when wet) between the two activities, both the same duration and with equal lags. True laddering as per Micro Planner is a safer and meaningful but my software lacks this functionality.

I try to limit myself to the use of SS and FS relationships, the predecessor tied only to the start of the successor.

With great pain in my heart I got to say that for the specific case you are mentioning I would follow Mike Testro’s Bottom up procedure and avoid the FF link.

Best regards,
Rafael
Gary Whitehead
Shahzad,

No I can’t! My question was, can anyone else?

Cheers,

G
Shahzad Sikandar
User offline. Last seen 5 years 44 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Gary

could you please explain by a practical example where such relationships may be valid as appose to FS?

regards

Shahzad
Mike Testro
Hi Vladimir

"the ’old’ chap cannot leave until the ’new’ chap has started,"

This can be read as:

When the Old Chap has finished then the new chap can start.

or When the new kit is commissioned then the old kit can be dismantled.

FS links will do - if there has to be a short handover period when both are on location then that would be a seperate activity with FS0 links.

Best regards

Mike Testro
To Mike: No!

To Nigel: Successor activity usually shall be of hammock type.

Best Regards,
Vladimir
Hi Mike,
don’t forget that all common links are No Earlier Than.
So "When Old Chap has finished then the new chap can start" means that new chap can start if he is available (not busy at other work, not on the vacations, etc.). In other case next activity may be delayed. So old chap may go away and nobody will take his place immediately.

SF means that old chap cannot leave until the new one will come. So he will wait until new chap will become available and assigned.

Best Regards,
Vladimir
Mike Testro
Hi Vladimir

So if the new chap gets run over by a bus on the way to work the old chap waits for ever?

You are adding resource management to a linkage discussion.

Best regards

Mike Testro
Basir Ahmed
exactly,

this is the perefect example of FS link rather than SF.

Cheers,

Basir
This is the logic of this link. Old chap cannot leave until the start of the following activity will happen.

If old chap is air dispatcher and will leave before another dispatcher came, a lot of people will be endangered.

Proper links shall work with resource management, in other case it is poor logic.

Best Regards,
Vladimir
Rafael Davila
Mike,

Why are you questioning the use of links in relation to resource management, not all issues regarding resources have to do with resource leveling?

Twice I do not understand it because you do not believe in resource leveling and to this purpose you make use of “soft links” the way many others do, and yes you are not alone. I even believe that for forensic analysis makes sense, though this is a movable link better handled by good resource leveling algorithms most software lack.

Get some good software with good resource leveling algorithms, with resource critical path, with resource float and you will not want to go back. No more need of soft links to follow logic, you will see on the spot all activity links and resources that are driving your job at any moment in time.

Best regards,
Rafael
Mike,
you wrote:
create a buffer task that will be in place for as long as is necessary.

Yes and it is necessary until the next task starts - still SF link.

Best Regards,
Vladimir
Mike Testro
Hi Vladimir

When did you last do a spider schedule for an air traffic control system.

If it was that serious on a construction site they would not be relying on 1 guy turning up on time - there would be a fall back contingency plan for a supervisor to step in or something like that.

If there has to be some sort of flexibility in the hand over period then create a buffer task that will be in place for as long as is necessary.

All with FS0 links

Best regards

Mike Testro
Basir Ahmed
Hello,

i am in the begining of my career and obviously do not know the subject as much as you do but as far as i understand, when we are making a schedule we cater all resources and then activites are put in the form of ghantt chart.

The problem of the person responsible for the 2nd activity is not to be considered when defining a schedule or while making a logic.

I may be corrected if i have got it wrong.

Regards,

Basir Ahmed
Hi Basir,
creating a network (not the schedule!!!) you link activities with logic dependencies.
Logis dependencies reflect restrictions on the time of activity execution.
Usually software packages suggest 4 types of dependencies: FS (next activity can start after the preceding is finished), SS (next activity can start after start of preceding activity, FF (next activity can finish after finish of preceding activity) and SF (next activity can finish after start of preceding activity).
SS and FF links usually are applied with lags (necessary time period before next activity can start or finish).
In Spider Project you can also use Volume lags (like next activity can start after certain amount of work was done on preceding activity).

Notice that in all cases there is a word AFTER. So for some reasons (resource availability, calendars, due dates, etc.) next activity can be delayed without violating network logic.

If your links depend on resources or other events then they are wrong. You can get the schedule that is not feasible.

Best Regards,
Vladimir
Suraj Bhatt
User offline. Last seen 9 years 33 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Guys!!
I am not an expert but SF can come handy when a Client is on your head for a Master Program (assume you are a PMC and on board a day before- I am sure this will sound familiar to many)
So what I do (with all due respect to right planning practices):-

I make a construction schedule (may be level 3).
I have to link my procurements to my deliveries and execution.
I link the the activity (start procurement process of Boilers under Procurement WBS) to its predecessor (Installation and comissioning of boilers under MEP works WBS) with SF relationship+ some buffer(-ve lag) to account for procurement delays.
This gives me a fair presentation of when the procurement of Boilers should start to get the work executed in time as planned.
BR,
Suraj
Rafael Davila
Mike,

Does the "soft link" appear and disappear with timing and resource availability automatically in the software or do they have to be removed and/or reinstated by hand?

Under resource leveling they appear and disappear with timing. Only a few applications like Spider Project that provides you with resource critical path will tell you where these movable links are. Other software can do resource leveling (low level resource leveling) but cannot pinpoint resource critical path. These substandard software will even show float on resource critical activities as if resources don’t matter.

Maybe some contractors do not use resources at all, or maybe they have unlimited resources available at the gates of the job, playing domino and listening rap music. This must be European Union, here we have issues with availability of resources, and even our courts can understand it.

Best regards,
Rafael
Hi Mike,
you wrote:
BTW Powerproject does work volume lead lags too - never used them.

Sorry, I did not notice it but I did not play with PP long enough.
Please explain how to set in PP SS link with 500 meters lag.

Best Regards,
Vladimir
Mike Testro
Hi Valdimir

"Please explain how to set in PP SS link with 500 meters lag."

When you set up the start point of a lead lag you have two options - Time or %.

So if you want to start the next activity after 500m has gone on a 750m activity then set the % at 66.66.

Once again I have never used it.

Regarding Buffer Tasks they are not the same as hammocks.

They are usually used to set up contingency float at the end of a project but they can be set up in mid project zones where time can be used up when predecessor tasks are delayed.

A typical situation is where in a fit out the site office is set up in the basement and the period of basement occupation lasts between the latest date that the basement must be evacuated and the earlist date where a new area can be occupied elswhere.

Buffers may be unique to PowerProject - the only disadvantage is that they always turn successor tasks critical.

Best regards

Mike Testro
Mike Testro
Hi Rafael

Now I understand.

This is starting up as a new version of lets challenge spider.

There is nobody more enthusiastic as a new convert.

Lets get back to KISS shall we.

Best Regards

Mike Testro
Hi Mike,
thank you for the explanation.
The natural next question - how the percent complete is measured?
But if you did not use it I will try to find myself.

I did not understand how buffer activity is defined and what is special about buffers. If the target is set can buffer be defined as the hammock from the project finish to the target date.

What about links? Do they go from buffer (hammock) or to buffer (hammock)? And is it possible to assign resources to buffers (hammocks) in PP?

Best Regards,
Vladimir
I know definitions of hammocks and LOE activities.
Having too many activity types is confusing to users.

In Spider Project hammock is an activity which start and finish are defined by other activities or imposed dates.
So hammock duration is flexible and it lasts from one event in the schedule to another (not necessary linking start of one and finish of another activity).

But we permit to assign resources to hammocks, without changing activity type to LOE.
And we permit to create several start and finish conditions for hammocks. It starts if one of initial events is happened and ends when all finish conditions are satisfied.

I don’t know what is WBS activity.

Spider Project is on the market since 1993. It is widely used in Russia for more than 15 years. I would not call it as the new software.

I know Critical Chain theory. And I know what buffers mean and how are used in this theory. PowerProject is not Critical Chain software and PP buffers are not the same as buffers in CCPM.

I think that it would be interesting to discuss buffers and Critical Chain approaches but not in this discussion. I think that our approach to creating and usage of buffers is much more practical. It may be an interesting discussion.

Look at http://www.spiderproject.ru/library/eng/Programs%20in%20Russia.ppt for more information on our approaches.

Best Regards,
Vladimir