Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

What is the best route to take to break into scheduling?

2 replies [Last post]
Brandon Broom
User offline. Last seen 9 years 22 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Hello folks, I'm new to the site and have a few questions that you may be able to help me with. I would like to enter the scheduling field, but I'm not sure what my best route of attack should be to get there. I'm currently a regional safety manager with a large industrial turnaround company. I've got over 13 years experience in the petrochemical field, from operations, to maintenance, to safety and about everything in between. I've helped out with some planning on jobs before and I'm familar with P3/P6 as far as updates, but not really any more than that. I've been bombarding myself with scheduling material (books, videos etc.) to try to truly understand the process and not just get on the software and start playing with it. I know there are 3-5 day classes offered in the Houston area with intro to Scheduling/P6, and a whole other assortment of options out there. What would you suggest as the best route of getting my foot in the door. I've made several connections through the years and know tons of people in the industry, but scheduling seems like a job that you can't just walk into with little to no experience. Any advice would be appreciated.

Replies

Aakash Gupta
User offline. Last seen 4 years 4 weeks ago. Offline

hi, Have you considered becoming a resource manager? This job usually requires you to work with projectmanagers, team leads and line managers.

Resource managers need to moderate workloads with real-time scheduling in order to ensure the work is staffed correctly at all times. And by correct, I mean that the hours available are taken up by competent and relevant workers. Anyone with a BA/BS degree can get into this and work their way up to scheduling management. It has more to do with coordination ability, taking the temperature of the team and how involved you are in the business opportunities being taken up, be it internal or external work.

Zoltan Palffy
User offline. Last seen 3 days 2 hours ago. Offline

find a mentor