Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

MEP 1st, 2nd & final fixes

12 replies [Last post]
richu rose
User offline. Last seen 1 week 22 hours ago. Offline
Groups: None
Dear Planners,

What are the activities that come under MEP 1st, 2nd & final fix. I mean to say how do we define MEP 1st, 2nd & final fix.

Regards,

Richu

Replies

bharani dharan
User offline. Last seen 10 years 35 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: GPC Qatar, TILOS

HI GOOD AFTER NOON,

IF ANY ONE HAVING THE MEP SCHEDULE FOR THE SUB STATION BUILDING PLEASE FORWARD ME TO MY PERSONAL MAIL ID cutesanthosh2002@yahoo.co.in

cheers,.

santhosh

Shah. HB
User offline. Last seen 18 weeks 5 days ago. Offline
you r most welcome
richu rose
Shahul,

Thank you for the wonderful information.

Cheers,
Richu
Shah. HB
fine Mr.Mukunda on mentioning system we need to further sub divide the systems in to fixes for more clarity
Generally WBS are built on system basis you said and further it is divided in to fixes
mukunda y
User offline. Last seen 10 years 32 weeks ago. Offline
Richard

What i feel is, Rather than mentioning 1st fix, 2nd fix, final fix, or conduits...it should be defeined inder particular systems.. like

fire fighting systemn
commnication system
Fire alarm system
HVAC system
Plumbing system
Poweer & lighing system etc

In these system u can defeine the activities like conduits, pipes, swiches, diffuser etc...It will be clear to one who going to read/refer the programmes & will be easy for tracking & to have better control on site works....

Regards
Mukunda Y

Shah. HB
I have suggestion Richu

1.Generally underground works are mentioned under seperate WBS named underground works where we mention underground piping works especially for drainage and sewer works they does not come under first fix activities

2.Sleeves comes under a WBS called builders work they does not come under first fix activities ,even slab conduiting could be classified under this WBS but it has an option it can also be mentioned in first fix

3.Rest of yours is perfect

4.I would advise you open up WBS individually for electrical, mechanical and plumbing do not group as M&E fix or works for the ease of tracking ,cost and resource loading

5.Be specific in mentioning activities for example you wrote cold & hot water supply under 2nd fix ,please mention what work you going to carry out for example cold & hot water supply piping works

6.so that your programme is easily read by others without any communication problem

7.I guess it would helpful to you

Regards
Shahul
Samer Zawaydeh
User offline. Last seen 5 years 7 weeks ago. Offline
Dear Richu,

You already are at a good level of detail. You don’t have to go up to the classification of 1st, 2nd and 3rd fixes. I would suggest that you mention them as you already detailed them as activities when you need them in between the civil works.

With kind regards,

Samer
richu rose
Shahul,
Thank you for the information.

Basically being involued in civil jobs, our offices is doing an MEP work for the first time. For our current project i have identified & classified the activities into following,:

MEP First fix
Plumbing & drainage - u/g drainage, fire-protection pipes & water supply.
HVAC-CHW pipe sleeves.
Electrical sleeves-Electrical sleeves & conduit in GF slab.
MEP First fix in columns & wall.
Plumbing & Drainage - Embedded water supply , drainage & fire protection.
HVAC-CHW Pipe sleeves.
Electrical works- Conduits, back boxes in columns & walls.
MEP 1st fix in blockwork - install conduits & back boxes in wall.
M & E 2nd fix
Plumbing & drainage - Isolation values.
Plumbing - cold & hot water supply.
Drainage - WC’s, WHB’s & Urinals etc.
HVAC Ducting & CHW pipe.
HVAC - HVAC values
HVAC - FCU, AHU valves.
Electrical works - Wiring for internal lights, small power, sockets.
Electrical works - Wire pulling to jn box’s & electrical DB’s
Electrical works - Installation of DB’s & MDP’s
Electrical works - DB dressing.
Electrical works - Cabling for fire alarm system.
Electrical works - Cable tray & trunking.
M & E final fix
Installation of sanitary wares.
Installation of lights, switches, sockets etc.
ELV outlets & equipmemt.
Installation of fire alarm devices & fire alarm panel & repeater panel.
Installation of fire hose reel cabinet.
Installation of split unit AC’s

Can some review wether clasiification of fixes is right.

Cheers,
Richu
Shah. HB
Generally MEP Risers are given more importance .It has separate WBS named Risers in which respective risers are mentioned it is not classified in to fixes
Samer Zawaydeh
User offline. Last seen 5 years 7 weeks ago. Offline
Dear Jacob,

The same principle applies. If you are talking about a cable ladder, then you have 1st and 2nd fix only. If you are talking about piping, then you have 1st fix only.

With kind regards,

Samer
Jacob Emmanuel
User offline. Last seen 10 years 14 weeks ago. Offline
where will mep risers fall into?

mep 2nd fix?
Shah. HB
MEP 1 st fix : Those which start along with block work and continue till completion of plaster eg.Duct hanger&support ,pipe hanger&support,fixing G.I conduits,back box,marking on block walls ,cutting & chasing install of concealed pipes in wall and so on

MEP 2 nd fix : Major part of building utility system starts after completion of plaster eg.ductwork installation & insulation,chilled water pipe installation & insulation,FCU/AHU installation,water heater installation

MEP final fix : Generally covers all exposed items eg. electrical light fixtures,grilles& diffusers, sprinklers and so on

Hope clear to some extent