Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Linear Scheduling

19 replies [Last post]
Ronald Winter
User offline. Last seen 3 years 5 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Here is an interesting note for any of you curious about Linear Scheduling.

I was just talking with a Scheduler who just tried a new Linear Scheduling software program called TransCon Xposition. He is very pleased with it. He is now using it on several large project.

You can find it on the web at http://www.transcon.net/. It will convert P3 schedules into Linear Schedules (if you coded positional information into it in the activity codes.) It seems to have very nice graphics and at $80, I think that I will give it a shot.

I haven’t tried it and I don’t even know the folks that sell it - I just though that you people might be interested in what is new.

Ron Winter

Replies

Joel Roberts
User offline. Last seen 14 weeks 22 hours ago. Offline

While on the subject of linear scheduling and software,

If you are in need to view linear project schedules created in Primavera, through XER, XML or XLS files, I encourage you to try ScheduleReader.

https://www.schedulereader.com/blog/linear-scheduling-view-now-available-in-schedulereader

Chachrist Srisuwa...
User offline. Last seen 15 years 22 weeks ago. Offline
hi Paul
You should include Leveling this time.
Good luck with the new coming book.
R. Catalan
User offline. Last seen 12 years 7 weeks ago. Offline
Re: Updating your P5 book to P6

Hi Paul,

About updating your P5 book to P6 (surely will be on my shopping list), I would suggest you include a sample buildings project (maybe a 3-storey) to guide beginners into a step by step process of preparing programs. When this will be available in the market?

I have your P3 book in my library and absolutely an excellent reference book.

Good luck.

R. Catalan

Russell Kenley
User offline. Last seen 5 years 47 weeks ago. Offline
With regards to the software that I had called DynaProject when this thread started, this was further developed by Graphisoft - who renamed it GS Control. This was then spun out as part of a new company devoted to virtual construction and control modelling.

"Control" is therefore now part of the Vico Software suite.
A web reference was given incorrectly by Chachrist Srisuwanrat earlier. The correct URL for Vico Software is:
http://www.vicosoftware.com/

There Control is described as:
Vico Software Control 2007 is a schedule planning and production control system that allows users to compress project schedules without increasing risk. Control 2007 is based on unique location-based scheduling methodology. This methodology facilitates planning of continuous resource flow which decreases subcontractor costs and productivity loss related to starting and stopping work many times. Features include:

* Location and quantity-based scheduling
* Schedule optimization
* Schedule risk analysis
* Quantity-based procurement system
* Cash flow management
* Monitoring and control
* Links to/from schedule software links

Personally, I think this description fails to describe the power of the LBMS, which uses a layered CPM logic to model extremely complex project schedules.

Paul Harris
User offline. Last seen 1 year 4 weeks ago. Offline
I appreciate good reviews, I don’t get enough of them.

I am in the process of updating my Primavera Version 5.0 book to Version 6.0, I am adding Global Change, Custom data fields, Leveling, is there any thing else I should add considering I am intending to go to Intermediate level only?

Paul E Harris
Eastwood Harris Pty Ltd, Melbourne, Australia
Planning and Scheduling Training Manual & Book Publishers & Consulting
www.eh.com.au
Chachrist Srisuwa...
hey Paul Harris ...coincidently...i just brought one of your book. Primavera 5. If i have time, i will review it on amazon.com .. :)
i love to support authurs in my field. (maybe a little bit too much LOL)
Chachrist Srisuwa...
hehe...talking about FANCY TERM..
"PARADE OF TRADE"
(this term quite well known by researchers interested in this field (including me)

LOL :P

I like this term.
Actually March chart is just another and very useful presentation of the project schedule like Gantt Chart or Network Diagram.
Regards.
Vladimir
Paul Harris
User offline. Last seen 1 year 4 weeks ago. Offline
On a project I have been working on in Queensland they use the term “March Charts”, I have no idea where that term comes from.

There is an article on my web site on data import and export with Tilos and P3.

Paul E Harris
Eastwood Harris Pty Ltd, Melbourne, Australia
Planning and Scheduling Training Manual & Book Publishers & Consulting
www.eh.com.au

Chachrist Srisuwa...
These are commercial applications for linear scheduling projects.

Graphsoft Control 2007 www.viscosoftware.com
QEI Exec & LinearPlus www.pcfld.co.uk
TILOS www.astadev.com

About the name, ...these are the names I found:

Line-Of-Balance (LOB)
Linear Scheduling Method (LSM)
Repetitive Scheduling Method (RSM)
Location-Based Scheduling Method
Horizontal and Vertical Logic Scheduling method (HVLS)
Vertical Production Method (VPM)
Time Space Scheduling Method

:)
Russell Kenley
User offline. Last seen 5 years 47 weeks ago. Offline
Hi

Linear scheduling, repetitive scheduling, flow-line, line-of-balance, etc. are all names for a variation on the same thing (except that linear scheduling effectively uses measures of length rather than places as in the others - which I call "location-based scheduling.

I think the tool you are looking for is available from Dynamic Systems Solutions (DSS). It is called DYNAProject and is a poweful, CPM-based, Line-of-Balance system for commercial or Civil projects.
It is also available in the Asia/Pacific from
www.projectflow.com.au

Cheers
Russell
David Waring
User offline. Last seen 9 years 20 weeks ago. Offline
Another name for Linear Scheduling could be Time/Location - often used on linear projects such as motorways.
In general, it shows the interface between activities which progress along the line of the project, such as building embankments, and activities that occupy an area and block progress, such as building a bridge.
This can also be used in railway possession planning, where access is limited to one or more tracks, and operations can only progress in a linear fashion dictated by engineering train schedules.
I have seen packages that interface with PM software to create such diagrams (A good one linked with Hornet), but can’t remember the names.
One point - I have in the past simply created additional resources for different areas of a site, and then allocated a particular area resource to all activities passing through. Resource levelling then allowed me to best prioritise activities which were independent, but all "used" that area, and therefore could not occur simultaneously.
Alex Wong
User offline. Last seen 11 years 4 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: TILOS
SAP
Mohammed Muneeruddin
User offline. Last seen 5 years 41 weeks ago. Offline
HI friends,

I found CCS software is one in many (if not all). From estimating, valuation,planning,cashflow and linear scheduling.
Cany anyone suggest me a software besides doing the above does inventory control and accounting.

Regards,

muneer
Yes,
its Demo version can be downloaded from http://www.spiderproject.ru/index_e.htm
You should choose English on the main page to download an English version and English Manual. In Publications section of this site (at the bottom of the page) you may find some presentations that explain approaches used in Spider Project. In Russia Spider Project is considered as the most functional PM software. It is used by Russian Ministry of Defence, hundreds of construction companies, in oil & gas, telecommunications, banking, metallurgy, shipbuilding, aerospace, software development, etc. - just everywhere. It contains many functions and approaches that are unusual in American software (multiple WBS, resource critical path calculation, feasible floats, resource constrained schedule optimization, activity volumes and resource productivities, cost components, leveling by material supply and project financing, risk analysis and success probability trends calculations, ... - it is hard to mention all differences). It may be interesting to discuss these concepts and approaches with the planning professionals.
Bernard Ertl
User offline. Last seen 9 years 18 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Vladimir, welcome to the Planning Planet.

Is there a website with details of the software that you are using?

Cordially,
Bernard Ertl
InterPlan Systems Inc. - Project Management Software, Project Planning Software
In our software (Spider Project) Linear diagram is one of the standard project views along with Gantt Chart, Resource Gantt Chart, Network Diagram, etc. What you call linear scheduling is not a scheduling tool - it is used just for the presenting of scheduled project data. We use this presentation since 1996 for any kind of projects because the software suggests to use any metrics you like. Not only meters, but any kind of metrics (floors, stages, etc.). It is really useful for presenting large amount of the project data on one page.
Mehdi Rashidi Ala...
User offline. Last seen 5 years 37 weeks ago. Offline
Linear Scheduling is a superior tool for management to visualize and manage the resources on a project.
MK TSE
User offline. Last seen 3 years 46 weeks ago. Offline
Linear scheduling, in certain extend, function as line of balance. The scheduling method is good for repeatable activities, like highway, railways, tunnel, pipeline, etc.

To prepare a CPM, P3 is better and linear schedule is easy for presentation by having an overall view on one page.