Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Monitoring of Works on Linear Projects

11 replies [Last post]
Wee Nit Som Nok
User offline. Last seen 11 years 32 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: GPC Malaysia

When monitoring specific elements of work on huge linear projects what is the best way to monitor progress in multiple location at the same time when time does not permit regular site visits?

Replies

Wee Nit Som Nok
User offline. Last seen 11 years 32 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: GPC Malaysia

Hai Satish,

Thanks for the information. Do you have any sample of monitoring template (e.g; railways or highway) that you can share with me?. At least, I can compared with my current elements of work in my monitoring sheet. 

Thanks and regards,

Wee

Shah. HB
User offline. Last seen 18 weeks 18 hours ago. Offline

Many thanks Satish

Satish Kumar
User offline. Last seen 7 years 10 weeks ago. Offline

Hi shahul, 

Highway projects, Pipeline projects and projects of similar nature are called linear projects

Regards,

K.

Satish Kumar
User offline. Last seen 7 years 10 weeks ago. Offline

Hi Wee,

Huge linear projects,I understand, a weekly visit would be good for a planning engineer.

Identify the deliverables or the elements whose progress you want to monitor. Generate a report format and give it to the site engineers who supervise the work.They can give you the required feedback.

Identifying the Inputs required from site is most important and maintaining good communication with site people dealing with progress and hindrances.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

K

Shah. HB
User offline. Last seen 18 weeks 18 hours ago. Offline

Hi Wee

Would you please share what is mean by linear projects?

Juan L. Ramos L.
User offline. Last seen 6 years 4 weeks ago. Offline

Estimated:

If I had to control the work would ask weekly production report, 3 weeks, S-curve, etc. .... in the case of monitoring referred to understand quickly know the status of the project and to be a linear project with a panel photographic and % progress to review what is the least ..

Regards,

Juan Luis

Rafael Davila
User offline. Last seen 8 hours 29 min ago. Offline

Wee,

In large civil works usually the surveyors keep record of everything they layout and measure, they keep the information on surveyor’s notebook on a format known by all surveyors, the electronic version on rugged data collectors, these are jealously taken care by these professionals. Although these records are generated on a daily basis usually, computations for standard reports like the infamous Weekly Production Report are done on a weekly basis.

Surveyors know how much dirt is being moved, how much pipe is being laid, how much curbs are built. All you need is to request for a copy of the Weekly Production Report and most of your questions about job progress will be there. Surveyors will measure ground levels at regular intervals to monitor progress, is part of their duties. They will report progress by location, by stations intervals. At times, the report is by the Surveyor, at times by the Superintendent who get most of the data from the survey crew.

The best measure of status in civil works is volume of work. Looking at an aerial photo won’t do it, you need numbers you cannot get by bird’s eye. Do not misunderstand me, photos are a good complement to the reports, and many times necessary to document claims.

Juan Luis,

Bienvenido.

Best Regards,

Rafael

Juan L. Ramos L.
User offline. Last seen 6 years 4 weeks ago. Offline

should be used photos and videos

Regards,

Juan Luis

Shareef Abdul Azeez
User offline. Last seen 2 years 42 weeks ago. Offline

"There is no substitute for the planner to visit the site regularly - so try to get there as often as you can."

The right advice Mike !!!

Best Regards

Shareef A Azeez

Mike Testro
User offline. Last seen 4 weeks 4 days ago. Offline

Hi Wee

Shareef has given you good advice but it is only part of the answer.

It depends on your software and how many servers can be utilised on the licence.

If you have only one server and one licence then set up an excell sheet with all the tasks and your site foremen can fill in the % complete in the next colimn and email it to you - you can then copy / paste the data in the software.

This should be backed up with photos and videos - can you set up a remote webcam?

There is no substitute for the planner to visit the site regularly - so try to get there as often as you can.

Best regards

Mike Testro

Shareef Abdul Azeez
User offline. Last seen 2 years 42 weeks ago. Offline

Hi Wee

I would suggest put reliable supervisors who could give you exact information on  specific works in specific locations

Best Regards

Shareef A Azeez