Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Linear and non-linear ativities on the same network

4 replies [Last post]
Angus Stewart
User offline. Last seen 1 year 3 weeks ago. Offline
We have a client who for some reason wants to progress most activities in a linear method and a few non linearerly.

My question is using P3 how would we best do this???

Replies

Alex Wong
User offline. Last seen 11 years 4 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: TILOS
Ronnie

you are right, you can plan your network in both linear and non linear.

However, that is only the plan, in progress update you progress your activity base on actual completion.

In activity progress you have a few choice,
1. Duration
2. Physical
3. 0/100
4. 50/100
5. Weighted
6. Cost (Acutal)

you need to work out the method prior to approval of your schedule

Regards

Al
Ronald Romero
User offline. Last seen 36 weeks 3 days ago. Offline
Angus,

You can make it linear on nonlinear as it suits you. Just define the resource curve you want tto use to progress your activities.

Try it and in few runs you can have the progress your client want.

Cheers,

Ronnie
Edgar Ariete
User offline. Last seen 5 years 29 weeks ago. Offline
Angus,

It’s basically linear, so you have to break it down into smallest possible detail to make it realistic.
James Griffiths
User offline. Last seen 15 years 15 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Hi Angus,

Clarification please on what your client means by linear and non-linear progress. I’m making the assumption that non-linear means that the activity stops-and-starts....but I could be wrong.

Cheers.

James.