Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Set Up for Schedule

4 replies [Last post]
M Colon
User offline. Last seen 9 years 45 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
In order to have an accurate schedule that will serve the needs of the project team, that is management and constructability, there are 3 key elements that have to be brought up from the inception of the project:

1. Contract Requirements Specifications and Plans

2. From the first requirement the "estimator" should develop a budget that should consider all aspects of the project including time, material, equipment, and overhead and profit

3. After the first two requirements are satisfied, then the scheduler may start developing a plan (usually this plan is thought out alond with a superintendent or a constructability expert).

From the estimate all key equipment and material should be identified, therefore productivity rates can be found using Means. Make a note that phasing on the project will affect sequency and poductivity should be adjusted to satisfy this fact.

Construction sequency should follow the plans and must take into consideration existing conditions of the site. The sequence longest path should be worked out so that essential components on the schedule fall in the critical path and determine the float.

Replies

William Stakelin
User offline. Last seen 21 years 25 weeks ago. Offline
I see no difference in a building with precast then any other building. Of course you have to set your precast before setting the metal studs on the exterior walls. compared to a structure with, lets say, Brick, where you have to set your exterior wall studs and dense glass first. Other then changing when (in time) that the metal studs for the exterior walls are set into place I see no problems.

Just a thought.
William
Ali Hamouda
User offline. Last seen 7 years 49 weeks ago. Offline
Hi,

About setting up a schedule, I would like to have more detailed discussion about this topic.

For example:on what bases we divide the project on to Zones and phases?

one of the new projects that I am working on now,

has this problem: external walls is precast,this force me to divide the building to Inner zone and outer zone,because the precast will be instatalled after the building skeltone been done.and there is block work to be done after the precast,in this case the problem of finishes will arise, that is why dividing the building to Inner and Outer zone is a must.

In advance thanks for your sharings.

Ali
-----------------------
Ernesto Puyana
User offline. Last seen 7 years 35 weeks ago. Offline
That’s exactly what I meant to address in my post on CBS vs WBS.
Cost groups are not an appropiate guide to organize a schedule on their own. They ignore space and time. I usually apply them at a third level in the breakdown, after Area and Phase divisions.
Ed van der Tak
User offline. Last seen 12 weeks 6 days ago. Offline
Is this a question?

As a respons to your information please note that historical project info (similar projects within the organisation or branch) are essential to get a uniform way of scheduling projects. Budget breakdowns are costgroup based and not neccesarily useful for making good schedules.

Regards,