Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Adding Activities after the baseline is set

5 replies [Last post]
Tom Jones
User offline. Last seen 8 years 22 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Hi Guys

How does one track actual against planned progress when more activities are added to the schedule after the baseline is set. For eg, if the baseline is set, and I have produced a planned curve for the prject duration. Then I add activities to the schedule later on, which will also change my resource values. How do I insert this into my curve to show accurate representation of the project.

Replies

Zoltan Palffy
User offline. Last seen 3 weeks 4 days ago. Offline

you dont the baseline stay as is never ever to be touched this is your measuring stick to which progress will be measured against. 

When comparing the baseline to the current schedule it will show that the new activites are not in the baseline. This is excalty what you want bcasue you want to show that they were added or not in the originla scope of work. 

its like saying I need to lose 10 lbs the first thing that I have to do is to get on a scale and weigh nyself. Thsi not becomes my baseline or reference point. I will I ever know if I am loosing weight if I keep moving the target andf I have nothing to measure against ?

Mohammed Ateeq Ur...
User offline. Last seen 18 weeks 4 days ago. Offline

How to see the planned progress % for the secondary baseline. What column need to be added.

Arnold Puy
User offline. Last seen 9 years 11 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Eljaro,

Let us consider that baseline programme was already approved by the Client.

In order to update the Budgeted Planned you need to update the resources which was assigned to your newly added activities and incorporate this new quantity to your current programme.

Regards.

Tom Jones
User offline. Last seen 8 years 22 weeks ago. Offline
Thanks,

Now lets say I generated the s-curve on an excel spreadsheet. Do I now change the planned % to those reflected on my updated baseline.

This means my next report will show an entire different curve compared to my last report update.

Wouldnt it be nice if the scope guys could just stick to the plan :-(

Arnold, could you also send me that P6 curve snapshot.

eljarowalters@yahoo.com
Arnold Puy
User offline. Last seen 9 years 11 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Eljaro,

You need to update your Baseline. To do this, follow the following steps:

1. Go to project --> Maintain Baselines
2. Select update
3. Tick "Add new activities and activity data (except actual)" & "Update exisiting activities already in the baseline"
4. and tick the other depending on your requirements.
5. Then select "Update"

HTH.

Regards,

Arnold