Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

s-curve topic

13 replies [Last post]
zuraini lazim
User offline. Last seen 11 years 38 weeks ago. Offline
hi..
This coming September marks the 2nd year of my profesion as the scheduler in oil/gas industry.

i understand to calculate the weightage but i don’t know how to determine the daily planned value % vs the actual value % to develop s-curve. For the time being , all my projects are lump sums basis and using manhours as my budget qtty. I usually reporting to the sr. planner on daily project progress using P3 Software.
Appreciate if somebody can give me clues how to calculate for the above.

Thanks!

Replies

Tahir Naseem PMP,...
User offline. Last seen 5 years 23 weeks ago. Offline
Dear Alex

Sorry to say the problem not resolve as per your way. The right way to solve this is which Mr.Jerry explained.
Sorry again how if you have project of 24 month duration and you need weekly planned value for next 10 week for a forecast planning and the hiring of manpower and equipment. You will click every work period and then write of your writing pad or spread sheet then you prepared your plan. Oh oh oh lot of hard work for a poor amateur planner.

Just click on tool >tabular report >Resource> loading
and then add the report or modify any one available. Select the resource (such Manhour / quantity)
In the format tab you can organize the data in what shape you require.
In selection tab you can select the activities or group of activities of your choice.
and at the last the heart of this report select period for the planned value you need. At the end select the display for day / week/ month / quarter / year what you need.

This the best way in my mind and I applied from last ten years and also seen by my seniors. If someone has a more convenient and easy method, please post in detail to exchange and enhance knowledge.
Regards
Tahir
Alex Wong
User offline. Last seen 11 years 4 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: TILOS
Jerry

You need to use Layout to view your S-Curve
Because Primavera Look is just a graphical display but layout is still using the live data.

You can display S-Curve using layout as well as histogram

Need help I can send you some instruction of how to do it

Good luck

Alex
Jerry Lan
User offline. Last seen 10 years 1 week ago. Offline
Hi Alex,
I generated a curve on primavera look but no, no value appears when I point my mouse to it. Probably, it is only for P3e not p3.

tools>graphic report>Resource and cost>

Regards,
Jerry
Alex Wong
User offline. Last seen 11 years 4 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: TILOS
Hi Gents

I had indicated several times in this forum already that you can display, print, analysis S-Curve in P3 or P3e without any export. In addition, the three curves can be display at the same graphical print. What are the three curves:
Planned Curve (base on Early dates or Late dates)
Actual Curve (base on actual expenditure or hrs)
and the most important
Earned Value Curve (Base on progress %)

These curve can be display in either Weighted Unit, Hrs or Expenditures

With the combination of Period Performance Function you can even save each period performance stored in order to have a trend analysis.

If you want to know any particular date for their PV,EV,AV you can just use your mouse and click on the date you can see all these value.

This is the basic of how to progress/report/analysis a schedule, and this is very important skill for a scheduler.

Cheers
Alex
Jerry Lan
User offline. Last seen 10 years 1 week ago. Offline
The program is loaded with weight as resource? Do a resource loading.
Go to tools>tabular report>Resource>Loading.

This will give you the expected weightage per month.In excel, you formulate the cummulative.Expected cummulated to date/cummulated at the end *100 give the % planned. Generate cummulative for actual and do the same.
Jerry Alivio
User offline. Last seen 15 years 48 weeks ago. Offline
Hello! Zuraini,

Thanks for the appreciation...sorry for some of the spelling it was done on a hurry...he..he. but the contents is pure...just do some home work, and I have a trust in you, sure You can make it.

Regards,

Jerry
zuraini lazim
hi jerry..

Thanks for your feedback. Guess i still have lots to learn then. Your reply on the subject surely give me lots of points to ponder. Thanks!!
vinod raturi
User offline. Last seen 6 years 4 weeks ago. Offline
Hi

Can someone tell me , where i can get good reading on S curves on net. ? PLease dont ask me, to take refernece from text books.

thanks,

Jerry Alivio
User offline. Last seen 15 years 48 weeks ago. Offline
Hi! Zuraini,

Advance "Happy 2nd Anniversary". Currently I am here in Melaka Petronas project, however maybe end of September 2006 I will be in UK or USA, which offer come first.

With it regards your S-Curve problem in Manhours, I think the time that your group prepared the planned schedule of course there is a spreed sheet. In Primavera when you key in the budgeted manhour for every activity based in work loads,P3 will automaticcaly calculate till the total manhours for the whole project, this includes Package A, B & C then you will the have weightage in every package with different total manhours.

To make it easy for you to monitor the daily progress and value, your group should have the Manpower/ Manhour Histogram with spreed sheet, then you have this S-Curves. In S-curve the formula is totally different from the Histogram. For me it is obvious to say that the daily Planned Manhour Value is totally not the same, simply because of the Manpower daily distribution and work loads are not the same. Example yesterday the planned Value is 8.35% and today become 12.72% this is because of the daily manpower allocation, yesterday less manpower than today.

Check your Manhour Histogram to make it easy for you to monitor the value. Guy’s correct me if i’m wrong.

Cheers!!

Jerry
012 8708923
Jawad Al-Nimri
User offline. Last seen 12 years 5 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Dear,

it seems that your Snr planner is basing his calculation on costs not on manhours. have you cheched that?

Karim Mounir
User offline. Last seen 9 years 37 weeks ago. Offline
zuraini,

This can be because the distribution of the planned qty. of the resource isn’t linear (eg. not distributed equally on the lifetime of the project).

u can figure it out if their is a milestone or delivery of a main equipment for example (check the activities on 7th of July 06 as u stated).
zuraini lazim
hi karim,
thanks for your reply,
actually my problem is more than that,
you see for example my sr. planner has some kind of this info:

Description : Main Package A
Weightage: 25.4%
Planned value on July 6, 2006: 4.53%
Actual value on July 6, 2006 : 5.95%

Planned value for July 7, 2006: 10.83%
Actual value for July 7, 2006: 12.31%

How on earth he got that planned value???
Karim Mounir
User offline. Last seen 9 years 37 weeks ago. Offline
zuraini,

if your making S curve for manhours:
Actual qty. is the equal to the manpower on site*the working hours onsite.
(eg. your actual direct/indirect manpower for 10/8/06 is 1250 persons, u only work for 1 shift this day (8 hrs.) so the manhours = 1250*8).