Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Average S-Curve

5 replies [Last post]
Zq qz
User offline. Last seen 12 years 14 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Is there any sofware that can create Average S-Curve (this is between Early and Late Dates curve" directly. Because some client is using this curve as a basis. What Im doing is extract this from primavera then plot it in excel. Primavera dont have this option. AM I CORRECT?

Replies

Mehdi Rashidi Ala...
User offline. Last seen 5 years 37 weeks ago. Offline
Hi,
You are right, all the softwares created S-Curve for two case. but your request is not be used in Pm.
Nicholas Sero
User offline. Last seen 10 years 32 weeks ago. Offline
I simply use tabular resource tabular report. This will output FULL RANGE cimulative and per period data with the distribution from early start to late finish

I export this to Excel for graphical presentation
Zq qz
User offline. Last seen 12 years 14 weeks ago. Offline
Thank you guys, I think P3 dont have this option to generate the average curve directly. So the best way to do is do it in excel. by exportting data from p3. Going to ff menu. Tools - Tabular report - add - select resource - timescale , go to schedule 3 drop down menu then select average. then save with file extensiion ????. Hope this will help
Forum Guest
User offline. Last seen 2 years 28 weeks ago. Offline
bell shabe curve is called s curve but this will impact that particular activity only not the total project. it is good to apply in larger activities ( like erection of steels 100s of tons or pouring concrete 1000s of cub.meter) since it is a big activity we are loading the activity gradually more and peak in the middle and gradually reducing.

but, what you need, i understand that s curve for the project. it is not suppose to create. when you load the resources to the activities properly in man hours or mandays, you will get the s curve almost all the projects in construction. it means the project would be started increasing works gradually and peak in the middle time and reducing gradually. when you do it properly you will come to know. as far as i did in my projects i got all s curve. note it it cannot be created. depends upon your programing skill u will get when you check in grapical repory. tools, graphics report, resource and cost, u must mark curve both histogram and cumulative.
Lutfullah Atasoy
User offline. Last seen 5 years 24 weeks ago. Offline
You are correct! You may select resource usage profiles for each activity such as front-loaded, or normal distributed,..etc but primavera (as far as I know) does not take into account an average S-Curve. Also there is no sense doing that.
Instead ,you may utilize exel to create an average S-Curve and compare your outcomes with it.

The formula is:

y=(3/2)^x.Sin[1/2p.(T-x)/T].Sin[p.x/T].Log[x+1/2T]-2.x^3/T^2+3.x^2/T

Where : p is 3,141516
x : elapsed time percentage
y : cumulative project progress
T : Max. Cumulative Progress
a : Curve climbing parameter.

But frankly speaking all these mathematical formulas are created by the people never been at site...!!

Rgrds

Lutfullah