Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

S-Curve from Productivity Data

8 replies [Last post]
Emmanuel Udo
User offline. Last seen 5 years 18 weeks ago. Offline
Gents,
Can somebody advise me on how to produce planned s-curve using productivity data. I have always used manhours but I know some people use productivity data. How is it done?

Emmanuel

Replies

Daniel Limson
User offline. Last seen 4 years 38 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
You can use excel worksheet to produce your plan progress curve. Again you need to have a common unit of measure. In your case its number of joints. you need to decide on the time basis (weekly, monthly or daily) Then plot your production rates against time and make a cumulative one on another row. Base on this you can produce your s-curve and this will tell you how long it will take you to finish 5000 joints using your production rates.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Daniel
Emmanuel,
this approach is available in Spider Project. It is common in Russia and I always wondered why other PM software does not do the same.
Regards,
Vladimir
Emmanuel Udo
User offline. Last seen 5 years 18 weeks ago. Offline
Thanks, Bernard, for the write-up but it does not address the issue I raised.
For example, if you were required to plot a Fab S-curve for 5000 joints of piping it should be possible to plot the s-curve based on standard productivity of say 24 Dia-inch/hour.
This is not the same as using manhours, although one could use this to determine the resource and manhour requirement.
Cheers.

Emmanuel

Are you sure that there is not a demand?
At this site people collect data on production rates. Why?
People were just are used for the software restrictions.
Vladimir
Bernard Ertl
User offline. Last seen 9 years 18 weeks ago. Offline
I don’t understand why it is not presented in most PM software.If there was a demand for this functionality in the marketplace, it would have been a standard feature in all packages long ago IMO.

Bernard Ertl
ATC Professional Shutdown / Turnaround Management System
Bernard,
manhours are not the same as physical volumes and productivities not only of man power but also of equipment, machinery, etc. I mean using real production rates or productivities (m3 per hour, something like that).
I don’t understand why it is not presented in most PM software. It is easy, not like resource constrained schedule optimization or shift simulation.
Regards,
Vladimir
Bernard Ertl
User offline. Last seen 9 years 18 weeks ago. Offline
Not all other software Vladimir!

We track physical progress (% of earned manhours) against a historical/statistical minimum attainment curve based on the desired timeframe. I wrote a short page on the subject (with refinery/petrochemical plant turnaround projects as the focus):

Summary Progress Curves

Bernard Ertl
ATC Professional Shutdown / Turnaround Management System
Using Spider Project it is easy, other software is based on duration estimations.