Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Filter Resource Usage Profile by WBS

15 replies [Last post]
Dennis Hanks
User offline. Last seen 8 years 2 weeks ago. Offline

I am trying to do a manual resource leveling and I would like to be able to focus on one wbs element at a time - unit.  Is there a way to set up the profile so that it filters on wbs?  I only want to see the resources for a specific unit not the entire project.  It either cannot be done or I am missing something simple.  Any thoughts appreciated.  I am using P6 8.3. Thanks.

Replies

Dennis Hanks

Arnold;

Thanks for the suggestion.  Not sure when I will be able to use it.  I used the filtered reflection that had mixed results.  Fortunately, this particular exercise is behind me.  Apparently, Oracle has the 'feature' listed as an enhancement request, so maybe next release.  I will have to look into "resource analysis".  Again, thanks.

Arnold Puy
User offline. Last seen 9 years 11 weeks ago. Offline

Hi Dennis,

Try the following steps:

1. Go to Directory Bars and Select Tracking

2. Create a New Layout --> Display --> Layout --> New

3. Select the Resource Analysis

tracking.png

Cheers,

Arnold

Dennis,

we do similar work (though with automatic leveling) preparing contract requirements.

When construction is ours we do not rely on superintendent schedules but suggest them to follow scheduled order of work. They shall review prepared schedules but if agreed it shall be followed. Detailed schedule permits to optimize project resource requirements.

Dennis Hanks

Vladimir:

You are right.  This is a one-time only exercise.  To do it more often, just invites pain.  In this case, I have a 'sow's ear' that I am trying to turn into a 'silk purse' for use in another model.  For me, the Primavera leveling algorithm does not return acceptable results.

I would think that once you determine the appropriate activity staffing, that should remain relatively constant (staffing levels/durations were poorly determined).  As for out-of-sequence progress, I would think that that is highly dependent upon the level of detail/complexity.  For me, I strive to simplify as much as possible - no schedule >3000 activities.  The 'ear' was about 5000 activities.  The 'purse' is at 1388 and I may reduce that further when I get into construction.  

My goal is to put only as much detail on the schedule to permit me to perform effective forecasting and determine when a superintendent can have an area and how soon he must be out of that area.  Beyond that, I think he is better able to control his work using his personal tools (spreadsheets/checklists).  This is heavily dependent upon the quality of the current estimate(s).  Handover milestones do pose a problem for my system, but they can be addressed via alternative means (constraints and emails).

My experience suggests that superindents do not use project schedules - or anyone else, for that matter.

Dennis,

it is amazing how complicated is this simple function in P6 but does it make sense to level resources manually?

When you will enter actual data something will be done not exactly as planned and you will do manual leveling again and again.

Are you ready for this permanent time consuming exersize?

P6 has poor automatic leveling capabilities but if you are not happy with leveling results assign activity priorities instead of moving activities manually or adding soft links. It may help and it is easy to modify if necessary though still does not guarantee optimal results.

Dennis Hanks

Raymond:

Yes, but you lose the GUI interface.  For me, it is easier and more comprehensible to change the durations and link while in the "Gantt" view.  In my mind, this should be easy and straightforward.  Why it is not, I have no clue.  Thanks for sticking with me.  Because of you I stumbled upon the reflection workaround.  So far, it is working.

Raymund de Laza
User offline. Last seen 31 weeks 5 days ago. Offline
You can do it in the resource assignment pane. You can organize resources in WBS layout and edit the budget units manually in any period in the time scale at the right pane.
Dennis Hanks

Correct.  I thought the best way to do this way via filter and Resource Usage Profile.  Unfortunately, all resources are shown for all WBSs.  No way to focus strctly on a single WBS code.  Is there a better way?

Raymund de Laza
Dennis, What I understand you want to manually level resources in a group of activities within a certain WBS. Correct me if I'm wrong. Regards,
Dennis Hanks

Raymond:

Not sure I understand, but will give it a try.  Obviously, the solution is more involved than I expected and I did not overlook something simple.  In a way reassuring, in another disappointing.  I would have thought this would have been a fundatmental feature.  Will let you know how it goes.  Thanks.

Update:  I am trying to use the Reflection feature.  Make a reflection, filter on non-WBS element, delete all with subject resouce, level, merge, and check.  Check may have to wait until I have modified all the WBS units.  May lose some inter-unit ties, but since that is the final step, it may not be much of a drawback.

Raymund de Laza

Dennis,

I Suggest to use the Stacked Histogram and Create a Resource Code as your WBS Code and assign to those Resources assigned in the Activities under the subject WBS.

From Stacked Histogram you can now filter those resources as required.

Hope this will help.

Dennis Hanks

Raymond:

Thanks, but not quite what I need.  I assume that there is no filter/sort for the Resource Usage Profile so that I only see a specific WBS code (in this case 1.1.10.4 - OSBL piping design) histogram.  I like the visual feedback of seeing the resource histogram that I can change via duration and/or logic.  I want to level one area and then move on to the other and then finally adjust the entire discipline.

Again, thanks.  I seldom use the Resource Assignment tab, so it was a nice education.  If I could do the same filter for the Resource Usage Profile, I would be home free.

Raymund de Laza
Dennis, Make use of the resource assignment pane. From there you can organize resources in WBS layout. Suggest to use resource code also.
Raymund de Laza
Duplicate
Raymund de Laza
Duplicate