Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Integrated Plan

18 replies [Last post]
Emmanuel Valentine
User offline. Last seen 11 years 9 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Hi all

I am creating an integrated plan for a programme with 5 projects/workstreams. I am wondering if there is a best practise or best way to embed all the project plans into one integrated plan.

Maybe also what to be mindfull of when creating this integrated plan.

I will appreciate any/all inputs from you guys. Thanks.

EV

Replies

Darren Kosa
User offline. Last seen 7 years 11 weeks ago. Offline
Emmanuel,

Not a problem, I’ve gone through a similar process before so it was pretty much off the top of my head. At the very least it’ll give you a basic approach to work from and fine-tune as you go along.

How easy this is to set-up is directly proportional to the preparation you do, as MS Project doesn’t handle conflict very well… by conflict I mean inconsistencies.

All the schedules (IMS and individual projects), have to be formatted the same, so it’s essential that you do the ground work to set this up correctly.

If you bear that in mind, it should be a doddle to keep on top of. Every week you just have to insert the projects into the template, link the summary milestones to the project milestones and then use the ‘Save As’ command to make sure you keep the template clean for the next round.

Regards,

Darren
Emmanuel Valentine
Whoa!

Darren, you have gone and done now. THANKS, very informative and pricisely what I am looking for. Thanks! Thanks! Thanks!!! I am going to take my time to fully read this when I get back from my meeting. Thanks again

And thanks to everyone that was helpful.

EV

John Cornish
User offline. Last seen 10 years 19 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Everyone,

When at Schlumberger, I used X-Pert from MPI Ltd for over twelve years.

It can handle up to 200 sub-projects. Up to 250 Calendars and weekly work patterns are associated with resources, regardless of which sub-project they are used on - giving great flexibility and reflects what is actually going to happen once the project starts.

Each sub-project has its own logic network and the critical path is shown for each. So once analysed it is clear to see the bottlenecks all through the separate logic networks for each sub-project - and shows what needs to be done to clear them.

The resource analysis (RA) can be done for smoothing resources with a consequence on the end dates, or the RA can be done to achieve deadlines with the consequences on resource overloads. This two prong approach for analysing your project helps to inform your decisions on required resources.

Hope this is a helpful note when faced with multiple projects all demanding effort from a common resource pool.

Cheers
John
Darren Kosa
Crikey, almost sent myself to sleep re-reading that post… Good Luck!!

EDIT: Forgot to mention when inserting your projects into the IMS, make sure you uncheck the ’Link to project’ checkbox in the Insert Project dialog box.

Regards,

Darren
Darren Kosa
Emmanuel,

This is an easy, but labour intensive way. It’s relatively straightforward to maintain, but involves a fair amount of work to set-up.

So if you’re sitting comfortably...

For the 5 Project Schedules

1. Check all 5 project schedules are using the same calendar, make sure all public holidays are included.
2. Check that all the Options in the 5 project schedules are the same. The important tabs being… View, General, Edit, Calendar, Schedule and Calculation. If they aren’t, create a standard set that all the schedules will then use as their defaults.
3. If all 5 project are using different custom fields (text / numbers / flags / dates / etc.), create a standard set. Publish a list that includes custom fields available and ones that are blocked and then get the schedules owners to use / change to that set.
4. Review the schedules with the person(s) who is / are requesting the weekly status reports and get them to agree what they want reported. Ideally there will only be a few tasks in each project (e.g. ‘Start Design’ and ‘Finish Design’) that need to be highlighted in an Integrated Master Schedule (IMS).
5. Inform the schedule owners of the tasks that they will be expected to report on and get them to include a set of milestones relating to the reporting deliverables in each schedule and then link the task (SS or FS depending if the deliverable is at the start or finish of the task) to the relevant milestone.
6. Get the schedule owners to baseline their schedules and make a note of the Unique ID (Unique ID’s never change ID’s do) for each reporting milestone.
7. Agree a reporting calendar with the schedule owners. If you are giving your status report on Friday, it’s no good receiving the schedules on Thursday evening. Make sure you receive the schedules in time to collate them and generate your reports.
8. Get the schedule owners to set the status date in their schedules, so that they match that status date report and ensure they progress all of their tasks to that date. This means that they have to predict one day into the future, but if they can’t tell how their projects are progressing then something’s wrong!!
9. Set-up a common working folder that each schedule owner can save to, or you can make use of.

For the single Integrated Master Schedule

1. Create an .mpp file to use as a template for your IMS. When I say template, I don’t mean an .mpt, I just mean a file that you can use to insert the other projects into and then rename as something else.
2. Make sure the calendar options and custom fields in your ‘template’ are the same as the 5 project schedules.
3. At the top of the IMS, list the 5 projects as summary tasks and include the milestones as sub-tasks. Make sure that the text for the task / milestone names are the same in the IMS as in the original schedules. This will then become an programme overview you can use as a quick show and tell.
4. In the task information for each milestone, add a note to record the Unique ID from the original project schedule so you can always keep tabs on it (It won’t be the same Unique ID in the IMS, because it’s a different schedule).
5. Save your new .mpp template as read only (so it makes it more difficult to overwrite) in the common working folder.
6. Insert each of the original project one after the other (Insert > Project) and outdent them to the same outline level as your programme overview.
7. Link each project reporting milestone to its corresponding programme milestone.

You now have a programme schedule that you can use for you weekly status reports.

Because each schedule is baselined you can filter on the slipping late tasks / milestones and you can use the Start / Finish dates from your programme overview to produce a milestone slip chart in Excel. (there are plenty to choose from via Google).

The problems with this method are there isn’t a critical path through the programme and you don’t get a true programme picture of any resource conflicts, but like I said, it’s a simple way of doing it.

Regards,

Darren
Emmanuel Valentine
Thanks for the info.

The master/integrated plan will be updated on a weekly basis by weekly status reports from the 5 individual projects so there will be a weekly update feeds from these 5 project plans into the integrated plan.

Is there recognised standard way of doing this and are there any pit falls to watch out for when rolling these 5 different plans into one integrated plan but most importantly how to roll it into one?

EV
Sreejith Nair
User offline. Last seen 12 years 45 weeks ago. Offline
Hi!
If that is the case, I would suggest maintaining all the activities in the same master plan , with appropriate headings.
For senior management you may ’Collapse’ bars and show only the ’Top’ level activities or WBS.
The advantage of maintaining 1 file is:
1)Easy for transmitting (Thru e-format)
2)You may collapse activities of all other projects and update one.
3)Easy to change links and do modifications on any of the projects

I cant see any disadvantages except the size or length of the programme !
Another issue will be , when you want to send the programme associated with one project to a subcontractor , whom you dont want to see the other projects/details.
Then there will be alot of deletions, which is apparently not good !
I think activity specific calenders can be used , if you plan to follow different calenders for each projects (Well, this is only a remote chance !)

Anyway ,
Emmanuel Valentine
Hi

Thanks for the suggestions. The integrated plan is for a programme so all the 5 project plans are inter related and will have common/integrated points and several interdependences.

I will need to have all the activities of all the 5 project plans in the integrated/master plan.

What I am really looking for is the best way to consolidate these 5 project plans into one integrated/master plan (everything being equal) and possible issue/problem points to watch out for.

Thanks again every and will realy appreciate the suggestions to the above.

EV
Sreejith Nair
User offline. Last seen 12 years 45 weeks ago. Offline
Hi!
I would suggest separate plan for each project.
You may link them to a master plan , if any of these projects are inter related.
If these projects are totally independent , I know what management is looking for.
They want to have an overall view of all these projects.
It will be total shit , if show them all the 1000 activities in all the projects.
So I would suggest , making detailed plan for each projects and a master plan with 3-4 lines each for each projects , showing major elements only.
You may update the master plan once in a while by taking data from summary tasks of each projects.
So here you have a ’Top-down’ project plan -> a master plan which is short & crisp and detailed plans for individual project.

And Brad , I know the tax and COL at your part of world is just horrendous .. that is why I can see more and more UK-ites here every day !

Welcome to middle east! Cheers !

Sreejith
Darren Kosa
Brad,

You’re probably right, I’ll be forever doomed to fret about whether on not to plan using a traditional waterfall approach or move towards an Agile /SCRUM methodology. ;o)

Methodology… I hate that word but I find myself using it more and more!!

Good luck in the ME, lots of money in Defence at the moment so I don’t have to worry about it.

Regards,

Darren
Brad Lord
User offline. Last seen 9 years 47 weeks ago. Offline
Its the IT world and Prince 2 metholdologies for you. cant stand either, and dont even want to talk about MSP. Im hopefully off the the middle east for a few yrs, big tax free salary, fully benefits package and no MSP

Darren Kosa
Brad

Nah, this one’s from experience.

Why spend half your working week trying to adjust an IMS so it fits when you don’t need to? Especially when it’s in MS Project!!

You shouldn’t need to show detail at a programme level, it’s all down to managing expectations... THAT was in the course though ;o)

Regards,

Darren
Brad Lord
your talking shite again (Ive been on a PM course Blah Blah Blah!!!!!!!)

ha ha ha
Darren Kosa
Hi Emmanuel,

Do you even need an integrated plan at all?

Depending on the size of the projects you might just get away with tracking milestones and dependencies in a programme schedule (subject to your negotiating skills of course) .

It would make life it a hell of a lot easier as you don’t have overall responsibility for the project schedules. You can then just get the PM’s to report the status of their project milestones which will then be referenced and shown at the programme level.

You then don’t have to worry about whether they’ve got the correct public holidays, task / resource calendars or they’re using the same default MS project options.

For what it’s worth, in my opinion many companies fall into the trap of using the programme schedule as a big, cumbersome project schedules, which still has all the details and logic that the project schedules have.

A programme schedule should be a summary of the project schedules, with governance and business-as-usual activities thrown in for good measure. The only reason you would want an integrated schedule for a programme, is if you need to show a critical path through the projects.

Just a thought.

Regards,

Darren
Emmanuel Valentine
Hi

Thanks for the responses.

I am only responsible for the integrated plan, all the other 5 plans are owned by 5 different project officers/managers. So the idea is for me to compile/consolidate/integrate all these 5 different plans into one master/integrated plans.

I have worked with integrated plans before but never created one or worked with one in a programme settings before and I was wondering if there is an ideal way to do this?

E.
Brad Lord
i have created msp plans with 5000 activities, having seperate plans is pointless you only have to update one plan and you dont have to worry about linking between different plans, i am assuming of course that you are the owner of all 5 plans?
Mal Leadbetter
User offline. Last seen 10 years 34 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: TILOS
I would consider how many activities you think may be in each programme before deciding whether to have 1 or 5 plans.

My personal experience is that if each of the 5 plans has over 100 lines in, then I would consider 5 seperate plans integrated into a master plan. Main thing to remember in this case is that if you have inter project links then you need to keep the files in the same computer/server directory for the links to work.

Thats my opinion for what its worth. I am sure many others have had experience of large MSP plans and can share their experiences / nightmares!
Brad Lord
just create one plan dont embed them copy them all into one programme plan, is easier to maintain and link them.