Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Interview Tips?

15 replies [Last post]
Rob Llewellyn
User offline. Last seen 11 years 23 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Hi all. I’m looking to change company for the first time in several years. Has anyone got any tips for what sort of questions to expect in an interview for a planners role.

Any help is much appreciated

Replies

Cesar Zacarias Vi...
User offline. Last seen 4 years 29 weeks ago. Offline

Dear Mr. Thomas Brown,

I would like to request a copy of the planning-specific interview tips that you prepared for candidates if you could please e-mail it to me at below:

cesar_vistal@yahoo.com

Thanks & best regards,

Cesar

mukunda y
User offline. Last seen 10 years 32 weeks ago. Offline

can u mail to mukunday@gmil.com

Muhammad Mehmood
User offline. Last seen 12 years 4 weeks ago. Offline

Hi Tom,

I’ll appreciate if you please e-mail me the tips @

mmehmood@marchconsulting.com

Regards,

Muhammad

vinay M
User offline. Last seen 10 years 52 weeks ago. Offline

Hi Tom,

Can you please mail me the referred tips on planning as i am also looking for that. Please use the private message service Thanks in adv

Thomas Brown
User offline. Last seen 6 years 12 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Tony,

I’ve written some planning-specific interview tips which we give to all of our candidates before interview stage. They’re too long to copy and paste into this forum, but please email me if you’d like a copy: Please contact Thomas using the private message service.
Best of luck with the interview!

Tom Brown
Director, Foxwell Brown Ltd
Joel Gilbert
User offline. Last seen 4 years 26 weeks ago. Offline
Mike, I agree with you Scarlet is not realistic with the rates.
Scarlet, as a Senior/Lead planner please forward your 150K jobs to me when you get them. I would appreciate it

Regards,

Joel
Scarllet Pimpernel
User offline. Last seen 12 years 42 weeks ago. Offline
Dear All,

The rate I propose is still valid in GCC.

However, it is very seldom advertise because the employer knows they can always get smaller rate.

On the other hand, the employer keep the balance, to hire smaller rate but the quality of deliverables may not be of high standard, or

to give high salary and the quality of deliverables must be very high, meaning should be of high quality compared to

maybe from the top five companies in ENR, either contractor, or design consultant or project management consultant.

Thank you,
Scarlett

The
Mike Testro
User offline. Last seen 5 weeks 1 day ago. Offline
Hi Scarlett

The UK rates you suggest were valid 18 months ago but not now.

£70k is top for a planning manager.

£45k for an average planner/scheduler.

And I have just learnt that a company is hiring Delay/analysts + expert witnesses at £85k.

Best regards

Mike Testro
Rob Llewellyn
Thanks for all your help and advice guys. Much appreciated!
Samer Zawaydeh
User offline. Last seen 5 years 8 weeks ago. Offline
Dear Scarlett,

Congradulations on a very good reply. Thank you.

With kind regards,

Samer
Scarllet Pimpernel
User offline. Last seen 12 years 42 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Tony,

Instead of anticipating what interview question,

you can anticipate your greatest performance in your life by hijacking the interviewer probable questions.

This can be done by preparing a presentation on How planning was done and will be done.

Create a mental picture of your presentation in case there is a small chance to use personal laptops and projectors.

So basically, all you have to do is:

a.) present planning (what is planning),
b.) persent scheduling (what is scheduling, first you have to do planning, then you will do the scheduling),
c.) Now that you have the plan and schedule, present project control system (what is project control system).

If you can convince the interviewer that you have been doing this three: planning, scheduling, and project control you have a big chance of being hired.

The next steps is to add: forensic schedule analysis (what is forensic schedule analysis).

If you can convince the interviewer that you have been doing all this stuff: planning, scheduling, project control system and forensic schedule analysis, then, there is a bigger chance that you will get hired.

Proficiency in the use of planning software: You also have to elucidate on your expertise in using planning software: Primavera P6, the most wanted or Microsoft Project (for idiots), excle, words, powerpoint, access (database).

the chance of getting hire is almost 100%.

the main obstacle will be you salary desired.

If you will work in GCC, you minimum pay is around 70,000GBP and if you go for extravagant position: you can ask for more, maybe 150,000 GBP.

Thank you,
Scarlett
Samer Zawaydeh
User offline. Last seen 5 years 8 weeks ago. Offline
Dear Tony,

Different people ask different things. I would test the new people technically in addition to asking the following standard question:

1. What is your plan for the next 5 years? The company needs to invest in a person that has similar interests.
2. Expect to be asked about work habits.
3. It is very important that YOU ask questions. You need to know what you are looking for.
4. Check for location. Is is convenient, and how much time you are spending commuting.
5. Try to explain in simple words what is the difference between Planning and Scheduling :)
6. Please read about the company that you are going to have an interview at. The web is filled with information.

Good luck. And always be prepared, take the business card of the person that you meet, and send a thank you letter after the meeting.

With kind regards,

Samer
Mike Testro
Hi Tony - Welcome to PP

We do have some wierd pseudonyms on PP - D’Artagnan and Scarlett Pimpernell to name but two of the literary ones.

They do come in for some ridicule now and then so welcome to the club.

I am sure you will get some good advice whatever you call yourself.

Best regards

Mike Testro
Rob Llewellyn
Because i wouldn’t want everyone at my current company to know i was asking questions about finding work elsewhere. I didnt realise names were so important on a forum message board.
Mike Testro
Hi Mr Planner

The first question I would ask is why are using a stupid name?

Best regards

Mike Testro