Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

EASY TO TAKE - HARD TO GIVE

8 replies [Last post]
ulysses garcia
User offline. Last seen 13 years 14 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: GPC Qatar
Other want to ask question only to take knowledge from other,
but if they know something about the topic, they resist to share thier knowledge..

What do you call this person

Replies

James Barnes
User offline. Last seen 1 year 6 weeks ago. Offline
to be fair, many people feel a little intimidated by putting their opinions down in writing like this, especially if they feel they’re going to be shot down by some internet bully. Luckily we don’t have any of those here, not that I’ve met yet at least.

for the other Parasite fits rater well ;)

I’ve heard that adage before, Ulysses, it’s a central tennet of many aid groups
K D
User offline. Last seen 15 years 30 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
It’s a nice proverb, Ulysses.
I think sometime people can not share knowledge that they have to suffer a tough time to get it.
That’s human instinct.
Thanks
ulysses garcia
User offline. Last seen 13 years 14 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: GPC Qatar
A Chinese proverb says,

Give him a fish, you feed him a day... Teach him how to fish, you will feed him everyday.

happy
DATTATREYA PADHARTHI
User offline. Last seen 5 years 22 weeks ago. Offline
Yes , Easy to take & easy to give,

But you are not supposed to dump your organisation’s knowledge on web. Organisations build their knowledge over a period of time. But people want ready made solutions without efforts.

Motto is do not give solutions, show them the way to solutions.

Cheers

Datta
A D
User offline. Last seen 3 years 25 weeks ago. Offline
May be COVETOUS,

But the thing is, most of the members and off course PP ADMIN can be said to have ALTRUISM i.e. "having a feeling of selfishlessness for the welfare of others without having any obligation to help others."

All the contributions in PP are always to help others. AND thats why there is no reward in PP for contribution but still there is continous growth in PP members and also reduction in the response time for the query asked. You can definitely have ur response within 1 hour or so for any query posted.

So, the thread shud be EASY TO TAKE - EASY TO GIVE

:-)
Chris Oggham
User offline. Last seen 9 years 19 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Gents,

I know what Ulysses means; you open up some threads and someone has asked a question which after I’ve read it makes me think he wants me to plan his project for him.

Being fair, however, I may have misunderstood what is being asked for, if I have this can usually be resolved by a quick PM. If it turns out that the person is after something for nothing then James and Scott have got it right, ignore them, and usually they go away.

As for what to call them, I have several choice expressions, but I don’t think the moderators would approve.

Chris Oggham
James Barnes
User offline. Last seen 1 year 6 weeks ago. Offline
I think Parasite is the word you’re looking for

meh, any open forum like this will have all sorts. Follow Scott’s example, I think it is a good one.
Scott Sando
User offline. Last seen 16 years 21 weeks ago. Offline
Human.

I realise this isn’t the answer you’re looking for, but I can’t think of a civil word to accurately describe such a person. Selfish is about the best I can come up with.

Essentially, some people give, and others don’t. I know which type I would rather be, and I try not to let the other type disturb me.