Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Hour Timings are Off

3 replies [Last post]
Ashley Bales
User offline. Last seen 12 years 2 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

In my P6 Schedule, the hour timings are off and it is not due to a bad calendar or anything I can see from a predecessor tie causing the activity to have the wrong hour timings. We have a 10 hour day project, so each activity should read from (start date) 7:00 AM to (finish date) 5:00 PM. Sometimes the activity will show 8 AM to 4 PM but it's usually because the calendar is an 8 hour calendar and can easily be fixed. Sometimes you will also see an activity go from (example) 4/25/2012 12:00 PM to 5/12/2012 12:00 PM but if you look at a predecessor it shows it has an actual start date of 1/12/2012 7:00 AM but the finish date shows 4/24/2012 12:00 PM, so the fix here is to change the finish to 4/24/2012 5:00 PM.

The problem I see is when I see something that shows from Start 12:00 PM to Finish 12:00 PM but the calendar is fine and the predecessor is not showing a problem. Why is this? Please help, thanks!

Replies

Ashley Bales

One thing I noticed was that the timing seemed to be off by an hour the activity was tied as a SS or FF Predecessor with another activity that had a different calendar. All our project calendars are on 10 hours/5 days a week. Is there something to this? When I change the relationship to a FS from SS or FF, the hours go from 7:00 AM to 5:00 PM instead of showing 7:00 AM to 7:00 Am. Let me know what your thoughts are on this.

Ronald Winter
User offline. Last seen 3 years 9 weeks ago. Offline

Ashley,

I am sorry for your trouble but there are so many possibilities and we have so little information.  What version of P6 are you using? What is your setting under Admin / Admin Preferences / Hours per Time Period?  Is the “Use assigned calendar … “checkbox checked? 

Perhaps the quick fix is to change your settings to show durations in hours so that you can see that the durations are different from what you expected.  Good luck!

Ashley Bales

Does anyone know about how to deal with this at all?