Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Unit of Time: Days (not affected by hours)

6 replies [Last post]
Ahmet KILIC
User offline. Last seen 13 years 24 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Hi,

This matter is one of my biggest problems over P6. I am a planning engineer in construction business. We don’t prefer working with hours on our construction schedules, only days just like the old days in P3 :) I mean even if you select the unit of time as Days and no sub-unit (hours), the durations and dates are affected by the hours. I want to use the system in P3 but I couldn’t find a way to do it in P6 or I couldn’t find the setting. I would be very grateful if you help me and help others in my situation (construction people) :D
I am sorry if there was a thread related to this subject on the forum. I tried search function but it is not working at the moment.

Regards,
Ahmet

Replies

Ahmet KILIC
User offline. Last seen 13 years 24 weeks ago. Offline
Dear All,

Thanks for your help. I also tried admin settings and any other setting of the software but seems like there is no solution for my problem. In my opinion P6 has some annoying and peculiar new featues full of nonsense. Of course there are so many improvements (interface, ease of command, works faster, better reports etc.) but some features cause problems. For example if you are working on several projects on several diffrent countries (for instance you may have construction projects on Russia and on UAE at the same time) you come across with the calendar problem. In Russia you set Sundays as holidays not Fridays like UAE and also in UAE you have to set your working hours like 7-12 15-19 or something like that which is different from other locations. So you have to assign different calendars for each project. Also there is this global calendar nonsense which might be totally different from these project calendars. And in a situation like this you have strange summary total durations on WBS items.

I just want to stop P6 calculating hours which is very impractical for construction planning :)

Regards,

Ahmet
Wilfredo Jr. Flores
User offline. Last seen 11 years 47 weeks ago. Offline
dear ahmet

al alab is correct. the settings in the admin preferences, user preferences and the calendar that you are using should be the same. ie 10 working hours per day should be applied in the admin, user and calendar. dont use 6 hours (in ramadan) in your calendar as it will affect your schedule.
MK TSE
User offline. Last seen 3 years 42 weeks ago. Offline
there is no solution.

there are two methods for alert: -
1. De-link Duration % and remaining calculation
2. Display decimal, if any demical place not is zero, "hour" come back
MK TSE
User offline. Last seen 3 years 42 weeks ago. Offline
For Plan Plan,

What is the working hour of the calendar assigned to activities
Jay S
User offline. Last seen 9 years 36 weeks ago. Offline
Mine Works Fine

Below setting User Preferances
Time Units
Unit of Time = Day
Duration Format
Unit of Time = day
Hours Per Time Period
Hours/day = 24
Hours/Week = 168
Hours/Month = 722
Hours/Year = 8760

Remember if you enter data as Hours it will be converted to day when you switch over etc.
Alaa Al haj
User offline. Last seen 7 years 7 weeks ago. Offline
Dear Ahmet

I don’t think this is possible
You have to accept what ever in primavera p6
The solution to your problem is to match working hours in calendar with Admin preference working hours

After create your default calendar

Go to admin …….. admin preference …………… Time periods

Please let mo know if you want something else or more elaboration

Regards
Alaa Al Haj