Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

P5 - Baseline Bars (not matching Start/Finish bars)

7 replies [Last post]
Roger Philip
User offline. Last seen 8 years 24 weeks ago. Offline
Hi,

I am using Primavera Version 5.0.

I have been trying to re-baseline a schedule that is in progress but have had problems with activities that are either in-progress or 100% complete - the baseline dates being saved are not the same as the start/finish dates.

P.S. Baseline dates for actvities that are not started seem to working perfectly?

Any suggestions?

Thanks.
Roger.

Replies

Gary Whitehead
User offline. Last seen 4 years 46 weeks ago. Offline

Pauric,

Firstly please in the future post a new question, rather than resurecting a discussion that has been dead for 6 years.

To answer your question, the first thing you should check is whether the baseline is showing you planned dates or early/actual dates -this is often a source of confusion. See Paul Harris's short presentation on the issue here:

http://eastwoodharris.com/DL/TP/110616_P6_V7_What_Baseline_Bars_am_I_Displaying.pdf

Cheers,

G

Pasraic Cosau
User offline. Last seen 9 years 44 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Hi if anyone can help me it would be appreciated? I have set up a new Primevera P6 Ver7 baseline schedule attached no dramas there... But when I make two copies of the schedule in P6 and I try to assign a copy of the baseline against itself, The Baseline Project Start & Finish figures don't match up and the yellow primary baseline on the Gantt Chart doesn't run adjacent to the green actual work (different lengths, dates etc). I have tried to rectify this multiple times and I cannot get the schedule and the baseline to match up?

I feel that this could be caused from a global change the the previous planner has made to the previous revision which I edited or I simply have ticked a wrong box somewhere. If anyone could please shine some light on the situation it would be appreciated??.. 

Oliver Melling
User offline. Last seen 4 years 30 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: The GrapeVine
Roger,

If I understand your problem correctly.

You should do a global change to alter any activities with progress so that the actual dates=planned dates.

This will make your current project dates the primary baseline.

Your SPI will be returned to 1.

Hope this helps.
Roger Philip

Thanks for the info....I have saved baselines and rebaselined many times in Artemis, Open Plan and Primavera P3 - just not in P5.

I’m not sure you understand the problem....

I am trying to rebaseline a project which has progress against some of the activities...I would expect any actual dates to be stored as start and finish dates which in turn would be saved to the new baseline.

Thanks.
Roger.

Bijaya Bajracharya
User offline. Last seen 8 years 4 days ago. Offline
The current Start and Finish dates will match with baseline dates ONLY IF everything has exactly as planned. If an activity has not started and you reschedule your current programme with a new data date, it is obvious that the new Start date for this activity will no longer match with the baseline Start date. And the purpose of having baseline information is to measure what is the variance of the currnet programme compared to baseline.
Roger Philip

Nope...bars are properly reflecting the baseline data.

The problem is with the dates/data being stored.

P.S. I thought the Actual Start & Actual Finish dates
were stored as the Start & Finish dates when a time analysis is run so there shouldnt be any difference between them?

Many thanks.
Roger.
Bijaya Bajracharya
User offline. Last seen 8 years 4 days ago. Offline
It is possible that your baseline bar start and end dates are not "Start" and "Finish" dates of baseline activities and very likely "Actual Start" and "Actual Finish". Check the bar properties (Format bar).