Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Hours issue dragging 1 day activities over days

12 replies [Last post]
Gowhar Mir
User offline. Last seen 5 years 9 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Hi There,

I am currently encountering this issue in prog. One day activities are dragged over two days. I checked the user preference, calendar, and admin preference all have same duration; my day has 8 hour duration and it starts from 8am but in some activities the duration starts at 9am, 11 am like that. I have no idea what is happening and how i can revert it back.

I don't use hour format in my prog but since I was looking for the solution I came across cause of the problem.

Any solution? 

Thanks

Replies

Zoltan Palffy
User offline. Last seen 3 weeks 3 days ago. Offline

answered all 

Zoltan Palffy

1st ALWAYS ALWAYS 

go to the projects directory 

makes ure that your project is highlighted

click on the resources tab 

on the lower right under resource assignments make sure that 

RESOURCES and be assigned to the same activity more than once is NOT checked 

this will eliminated double dipping the resource or adding it again if your re-import an excel file 

Gowhar Mir
Zoltan Palffy

the originla durations could have been imported vai excel thru some type of data dump form anotehr program such as an estimating program

Just keep the decimals for the durations turned on. You can still update by percrntage but always check the remaining duration and its its not a whole number then rount it up or down to make it a whole number. The data date TIME should be correct also. 

Gowhar Mir

Yes, I checked all that was suggested in the thread and I think the problem comes from percentage assignment for the activity complete which changes the remaining dates into fractions. I am trying to avoid that from now on, I am just unsure about how original duration showed days in decimals because in my prog the original duration also was in fractions.

Steven Auld
User offline. Last seen 6 weeks 1 day ago. Offline
Have you checked the detailed view of the calendar that you are using?

Sometimes the hours per day setting can be different from the time periods set in the calendar which can lead to issues when entering durations in days.

Have you checked Santosh’s link?

Also agree with Zoltan that if you are using Duration % Complete, then this can easily cause differences in the remaining durations.

Have you tried putting the expected finish date to the time you expected to see then Schedule the plan & see if the Duration % Complete changes.

Steven

Zoltan Palffy

no the data date TIME should be set to the earliest time. The forward pass begins at the START TIME. If this is 4 am so be it 

Santosh Bhat
User offline. Last seen 1 year 2 weeks ago. Offline

Hi I've written an article on LinkedIn that might help identify the problem:

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/p6-schedules-activity-date-time-issues-sa...

Gowhar Mir

Thanks for the reply. In the data date option, shouldn't the time be set to latest one- for instance 4pm on the weekend. I am facing a similar issue with another prog as well. Activity A of 3 day duration was taking 5 days without any constraint or holiday in between, I left the issue as such and after assigning it as baseline and starting the project, it suddenly became ok. from next time, while making the schedule, I will keep the hours and minutes option on to avoid such problems in future IA.

Zoltan Palffy

did you chnage the data date time ?

did you change the remaining durations to whole days ?

if you are using duration % complete and say somthing is a certian percentage it is possible that it make the remainging durations in a fraction of  a day. So turn on the decimals for the durations and when you input a % complete make sure that the remaing duration is a whole day not a fraction of a day

The TIME on your data date should match your earliest start time of your calendars

Also if you have any contstrained dates the start constraints should be se to 8:00 am or the earlies working time of that caledasr

if they are finish constraints they should be 5:00 pm or the latest hour of your calendar

The project start TIME should be 8:00 am and th eproject must finish by TIME should eb 5:00 pm 

Gowhar Mir

Thanks for the reply. I followed your instructions and yes, there are minute units in time like 10:24am etc I changed the data date time, time for project start and in progress activities start time to 8am as well but the problem still persists. I would also like to know why it is doing this, I mean my work hours are from 8am-4pm then why are some activities starting and 12am and like that.

thanks

Edit: Yes my remaining duration is in fractions. Any reason why. I think it is because of the activity percentage tab but still when you close the activity it should close. No?

Zoltan Palffy

your TIMES are not correct and or your remaining durations are in fractions of days not whole days,  Edit users preference,  Click on the Dates Tab , Click show minutes (12 hour) Click on the Time Units Tab, Next under the Duration Format Unit of Time Decimals change this value to 2 Decimals, If you see any Original Durations and or Remaining Durations with decimals round them up or down and change them to whole numbers. Go to the project directory click on dates make sure your project start TIME to 8:00 am or the earliest time in your calendar. Change the data date TIME to 8:00 am or the earliest time in your calendar. Change the Project Must Finish by date TIME to 5:00 pm or the LATEST times in your calendars. If you have any start constraints TIME to 8:00 am or the earliest time in your calendar.If you have any finish constraints TIME to 5:00 pm or the LATEST times in your calendars. Any activities that are inprogress make sure that the start TIME is  8:00 am or the earliest time.