Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Step by step how to add a Sub-Project to Main Project

7 replies [Last post]
Joel Gilbert
User offline. Last seen 4 years 26 weeks ago. Offline

I have a Main Project in P6 now I want to add a Sub-Project, then copy the MEIP activities issue to the sub and track it seperately

Now in P3 it was easy - but I cant figure it out in P6

Can somebody please write the step by step on how to add a Sub project to my already existing Main project - nothing complicated please

Help me out so when I know how to do it Primavera will make sure they change it again

All good help welcomed.

Replies

Aries Arian
User offline. Last seen 12 years 24 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Hi joel,

You have already got enugh suggestions.But here is one more thing that i would like to tell you that You can work in two projects togather at a time using primavera p6.It will be such that after linking two projects togather you can see the changes and effects of one on other.For this you will select both projects togather--->right click--->open projects...here you can see both projects opened in one window.now you can link them togather and start your work as required.

Best Regards,

Aries.

Joel Gilbert

Thanks Sandy,

I will try that

Sandy Matheson
User offline. Last seen 10 years 36 weeks ago. Offline

Joel

This is best managed through the WBS function.  Create a new WBS for the 'sub project' in your existing project and move the activities (civil & sub?) into the new WBS.  Create a new project in Primavera then open your existing project and the new project together.  Then cut and paste the new WBS into the new project.  That will move all activities and maintain the linking.

Joel Gilbert

Hi Gary,

Thanks for the reply hade to use some shock tactic and it worked.

Yes you are correct I want to create a sub project the main will have engineering,procurement stucture and civil and the sub will have MEIP

I want the logic to remain between the two projects, so that when the sub project is updated, it automatically drives successors in the main project, and visa versa? and I can check out to the contractor to update and check it in

Do you know the step by step commands to use?

Your help or guidance to literature will be appreciated

Regards,

Joel

Shah. HB
User offline. Last seen 18 weeks 5 days ago. Offline

Hi Joel Gilbert

You can try using activity codes for MEP scope of works and filter them to track it. Any ways MEP scope of works are successors which depend on Civil scope of works (Predecessor)

Problem you experienced might not come across by any one else it does not mean that the Planning Planet site have no competent planners, schedulers or project controllers

Gary Whitehead
User offline. Last seen 4 years 46 weeks ago. Offline

Hi Joel,

I'm not sure I understand your question -Perhaps I'm not competent enough.

Do you have a set of activities already in your main programme, which you want to move out of there and into a new project, or do you have a set of activities in a sperate projecy which you now want to include in your main project?

When you say "track it seperately", do you mean any summaries or reports run from the main project would ignore activities in the sub project, or do you mean having seperate planners working on the subproject and main project at the same time?

Do you want the logic to remain between the two projects, so that when the sub project is updated, it automatically drives sucessors in the main project, and visa versa?

Oh and just out of curiosity -When was the last time you helped anyone on PP?

Joel Gilbert

Has the level of competent people decreased so badly on this site that you cant even get Help anymore?