Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Actual import

17 replies [Last post]
Salman Ahmed
User offline. Last seen 13 years 46 weeks ago. Offline
Hi all,

I exported the P6 schedule to excel,updated the Actual Start,% completes.But,after import only actual dates are updated, % complete were not updated.

Thanks in advance

Replies

Rodel Marasigan
User offline. Last seen 4 days 20 hours ago. Offline
Mai,

TASKRSRC is a table in Primavera Database which is stand for Resource Assignment table. If you use export to excel facilities in P6 and selected resource assignment it will create a tab name TASKRSRC.
Mai Tawfeq
User offline. Last seen 9 years 10 weeks ago. Offline
dear rodel :

what do u mean by TASKRSRC, and in P6 where we can found?

thanks & regards.
Salman Ahmed
Mr.Rodel,

Thanks a lot for your valuable time.
Salman Ahmed
Mr.Rodel,

Thansks a lot for your valuable time.
Rodel Marasigan
There are many ways of loading or assigning resources. You can use resource assignment module and fill down (ctrl+e) for all the same resources or using ODBC database, SDK and or use the export/ import facilities etc… which ever is comfortable for you to use.

Steps in loading resources using excel SDK and excel Export/ Import facilities
1) Define/ create resources to use in the program.
Using excels SDK is more reliable and convenient way to use especially if your project required multiple or detail resources…(labors: i.e. name of each person).
Excel Export/ Import are not working properly especially if you have roles define or hierarchy. Another is the excel xerFileParser&Builder.xls (you can download it from Primavera knowledgebase)
2) Define rates per resources (again I suggest excel SDK). Excel export/import don’t have this function.
3) Export spreadsheet-(xls) Activities and Resources assignment.
-> Activities basic field required: Activity ID, Activity Status, WBS Code and Activity Name for your reference when adding resources on TASKRSRC tab. You can add more field if you required more reference.
-> Resource assignment basic fields: Activity ID, Activity Status, Resource ID, Roles ID, Cost Account ID, Budgeted Units, Remaining Units and At Completion Units.
4) Start assigning your resources by completing all fields required. If roles and cost account is not used then leave it blank.

Note: Caution: if assigned resources is existing on that activity id but roles is defined or cost account is defined on the existing but not on the new assignment, import will not update the existing resource instead it will add a new assignment specially if the setting on resources tab-> Resource Assignment (Resource assignment can be assigned to the same activity more than once) under Project module is tick. Also make sure that there is no duplicate resource id which is possible in P6 resource under different level on hierarchy. It may assign different resource than the intended resource.

Excel SDK is also another way of assigning resource but requires to write a program (Visual basic code) but more reliable because it deals with unique id which is not present in Excel Export/ Import spreadsheet.

Good Luck!!!
Salman Ahmed
Thanks a lot Mr.Rodel,

Please let me know is there any way to have each coloumn for each resource, so that I can export the same and input the required resource units and import back.

Please suggest some easiest way to load multiple resoures & their buget values on each activity, instead going to each activity and adding the resoure and its budget values.

Thanks for your valuable replies.
Rodel Marasigan
Export & Import Data to Excel to update actual is required knowledge on how the Primavera database work to accept data. The import update will depends on your settings where normally comes to disappointing result if you don’t know what your doing. When updating TASKRSRC table using the Export/ Import Excel facilities check the settings on Calculation Tab Resource Assignments under Project Modules. When updating Actual Units or Cost, which one is tick? Is it Add actual to Remaining or Subtract Actual from At Completion? Next to check is a % Complete Type setting on each activities. Is it Duration, Physical or Unit?

Note: Activity % Complete and Performance % Complete is based on the % Complete Type settings. (i.e. if set to Duration then Duration % Complete = Activity % Complete = Performance % Complete, Physical then Physical % Complete = Activity % Complete = Performance % Complete and Unit then Unit % Complete = Activity % Complete = Performance % Complete)

Important fields to export and import:
1) Activity ID, Activity Status and WBS code for TASK or Activity update
2) Activity ID, Activity Status, WBS code, Role ID and Account ID for TASKRSRC or Resource assignment update.

If updating Task such as Activity code, WBS code, Activity Status, Actual Start and Actual Finish date, Physical % complete, Duration % complete, etc.. then TASK export is useful but not on units or cost if the update meant for resource.

Note: Importing Actual % complete update behaviour of Primavera will depends on the Duration Type settings and % complete type. Check synchronisation update for this settings on PM manual (i.e. Duration Type = Fixed Duration and Unit and % Complete Type = Duration then field to update is Duration % Complete only which will synchronise the update on remaining duration and actual duration using the calculation settings that I mention earlier. (i.e. subtract actual from at completion)

Start and Finish Status will be trigger by Activity status field. If the activity is 100% complete it can be done by changing Activity Status field = Completed (start and finish are both tick), started with or w/out progress = In Progress (Start is tick) and not started = Not Started (none are tick)

If updating units or cost to resources then TASKRSRC is the best export to use. Make sure to update the actual units or cost and also remaining units or cost. (this will calculate at completion units or cost and unit % complete.

Note: if the setting of resources is calculate cost from units then cost will be automatically update base on unit * price/unit and does not need to update costs fields.

Still lot of things needed to explain but it’s getting too long…
Salman Ahmed
Yes Arnold its units % complete=physical % complete, There is only one resource (Manhours)in my schdl, I did exported that in excel and updated the physical % complete, P6 has not taken this.
Arnold Puy
User offline. Last seen 9 years 12 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Salman,

Are you talking about the Units % Complete? In this case you need to input your actual units manually to have your units % complete. Otherwise, do it in Excel by exporting your actual, remaining, budget & at completion units. For sure!!

If in case your physical % complete = units % complete then it is more easy to track. Can you elaborate in more detail.

Regards,

Arnold
Salman Ahmed
Thanks a lot Mr.Arnold,

can u please tell me how to do it by global change.

I have sent you 2 private messages for early n late cumm curves & resource loading by SDK.

Thanks in advance
Arnold Puy
Hi Salman,

As I mentioned in my post #4 that you cannot modify the data with (*) next to column title in Excel, as unit % complete is one of them.

You need to do it in Primavera, by performing a global change. But be careful, always create a backup of your schedule prior to perform global change.

Regards,

Arnold
Salman Ahmed
Hi mai,

data date is 20th mar. what do you mean by progress line?
Mai Tawfeq
dear .

shall u check the data date and date of progress line . and let me know.
Salman Ahmed
Hi,

I exported the coloumns: Actual Start & Labour units % Complete.Then Updated these coloumns by entering actual start date and the % accomplishments.

After import i could only see the actual start check marked on the activity but the % was zero.

Arnold Puy
Hi Salman,

In Excel you cannot modify the data with (*) next to column title.

Regards,

Arnold
Mai Tawfeq
dear solman :

i did not understand u but be carefull that when u export any thing to exel or other u have to keep every column as it is do not delet or move anything just chang the cell values.

regards.
Ferdinand U.
User offline. Last seen 6 years 34 weeks ago. Offline
did you exported the activity % complete?