Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Project Overall duration Changes when importing.

5 replies [Last post]
Jawad Al-Nimri
User offline. Last seen 12 years 1 week ago. Offline
Groups: None
I have this crazy problem when someone sends me schedule in XER format, after importing; the total project duration is changing, ive tried to make the default global calendar in all options available in the schedule but it did not help.

by the way, the overall duration after importing is the same as the overall project duration (correct), but once i made schedule run it will change.

any ideas about the source of this problem?

thank u all in advance

Replies

Rafael Davila
User offline. Last seen 12 hours 4 min ago. Offline
Do the individual activities duration changed by a factor of 8?

Planning unit might be an issue in adittion to all previously mentionted reasons.
Jawad Al-Nimri
User offline. Last seen 12 years 1 week ago. Offline
Groups: None
Thank u fellows, but the problem is not being solved, ive tried to create a completely new data base, but still not working i think the reason is that this schedule is prepared using P3 then it was converted to P6, which created many conflicts.

i will try other things, later ill let you know what was the problem.

Thank u all,
Arnold Puy
User offline. Last seen 9 years 8 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Jawad,

In additon to Dieter and David info. One more reason is, when the .XER format sent to you has already a start date, it means that project is already started or in progress.

May be the reason is when you press F9, try to check the "Options" General Tab, "When scheduling progressed activities use:

1. Retained Logic
2. Progress Override
3. Actual Dates

When "Retained Logic" selected and the finish date changes significantly, then there is a lot of out-of-sequence activities that is affecting the critical path. That is why the original duration changes. Try to shift to "Progress Override" and schedule again.

Regards,

Arnold
David Kelly
User offline. Last seen 1 year 34 weeks ago. Offline
The total project duration as measured by the rolled up duration column is based on the database’s default calendar. If the two databases involved have different default calendars the durations will be different
Dieter Wambach
User offline. Last seen 6 years 48 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Jawad

Create a baseline after importing BEFORE! F9. It will be easier to locate the reason.

Check the calendars for same name but different contents - e.g. holidays, working hours, hours per day

Admin Preferences: Hours per day is another candidate.

Good luck!

Dieter