Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Recourses usage spreadsheet problem

12 replies [Last post]
Abeer Mahmoud
User offline. Last seen 7 years 44 weeks ago. Offline
Dear All kindly note that:
My resources max. units per time are as follows
• Arch. = 54hrs/d
• Concrete = 83hrs/d
• Steel = 22hrs/d
All resources is 3-shift operations (shift 1)

I assigned budget for resources as follows;
• Arch. Total budget units = 430hrs
• Concrete Total budget units = 178hrs
• Steel Total budget units = 338hrs

And when I prepared a schedule for project with duration 4 weeks for example; Recourses usage spreadsheet show that:

• Arch. Total budget is 430hrs divided as follows at:
Week (1) = 184hrs; Week (2) = 0hrs; Week (3) = 0hrs; Week (4) = 246hrs

• Concrete Total budget is 178hrs divided as follows at:
Week (1) = 12hrs; Week (2) = 73hrs; Week (3) = 61hrs; Week (4) = 32hrs

• Steel Total budget is 338hrs divided as follows at:
Week (1) = 145hrs; Week (2) = 0hrs; Week (3) = 0hrs; Week (4) = 193hrs

So I wonder why arch. & steel weeks no. 2 & 3 are empty and how I can solve this problem.

Best Regards,

Abeer Taher

Replies

Arnold Puy
User offline. Last seen 9 years 11 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Abeer,

The reason why your resource dates is inconsistent with the activity dates it is because, the original duration of your resources is equal to zero (0). The cause of this scenario is that, in your Resources the Default Units/Time is neither (Blank or Zero).

In order to avoid this sort of situation, make sure prior to assigning your resources set all the details of resources (e.g. Default Units/Time, Auto Compute Actual, Calculate costs from units and etc.).

Now, the best way you can do is to "Replace or Remove" the resources assignment from your activities and re-assign it again.

Regards,

Arnold

Abeer Mahmoud
Thanks Arnold for your patient,

It worked; I changed every resources end date to be the same activity dates but I need to make all resources dates matching activities dates by on step and also I need resources distribution consistent with my activities start & finish dates as a default command how I can do this? Please by steps.

Best Regards,

Abeer
Arnold Puy
Hi Abeer,

Thanks for sending the file. The reason why your resources distribution is not consistent with your Activities Start & Finish Dates, it is because your Start & Finish Dates of the Resources is not matching with the Activities Dates.

Try to display and change the Start & Finish Dates of each resource in the "Resources Assignment Window" and see the changes.

Regards,

Arnold

Arnold Puy
Hi Abeer,

If you don’t mind, can you send to my email at primavera6@live.com the .xer file so that I can tell you what is the dilemma.

Regards,

Arnold
Abeer Mahmoud
Dear Arnold & Wilfredo; thanks for your replies and kindly note that
My User Preferences --> Resource Analysis --> Interval for time-distributed resource calculations --> Day
All resources have the same calendar & shift
Resources curves --> default --> back loaded and I chose --> default --> Linear --> close and schedule the project and nothing happened the problem still as it is.
And I don’t need to leveling resources.

What is the default to the following?
Assign resources curve and after that how I run with it
Assign not leveling resources and after that how I run with it and when I need to leveling resources?

Wilfredo, there are many activities using arch. & steel resources within 2nd week and 3rd week period.

Best Regards,

Abeer
Wilfredo Jr. Flores
User offline. Last seen 11 years 50 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Hi Abeer,

is there any activity using archi. and steel resources within the 2nd week and 3rd week period?

Regards,
Wilfredo
Wilfredo Jr. Flores
User offline. Last seen 11 years 50 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Hi Abeer,

In addition to Arnold’s reply, if the sequence of your activities is correct and also if leveling is not required, kindly check the assigned curve of your resources.

regards

Wilfredo
Arnold Puy
Hi Abeer,

Try to check Edit --> User Preferences --> Resource Analysis tab, change the "Interval for time-distributed resource calculations:" into Day. Otherwise, try to check your assign Calendar.

Regards,

Arnold
Abeer Mahmoud
Dear Anoon, I already used FS relationship and never logic that arch. and steel resources at week 2 & 3 equal 0hrs, so please if you don’t have a solution let a chance to other to advise me if you please because as you said "you are just a beginner in P6"

Best Regards,
Abeer
Anoon Iimos
User offline. Last seen 2 years 14 weeks ago. Offline
Abeer,

you know, i’m just a beginner in P6, but i suggest to consider the following:

1. never expect an exact figure - an average (indicative) would be enough (this is where you use the dividing factor)- after all, your durations were also guesstimated i supposed?

2. timescale - say in weeks or days

3. sequence your activities so as to give you a practical logic (as Mike is always saying, use only FS).
Abeer Mahmoud
Dear Anoon thanks for your replay my activities duration units is days and all resources have the same calendar 6 days per week and I can’t use a dividing factor I need to solve this problem by normal/default way can you/anybody help me?

Best Regards,
Abeer
Anoon Iimos
User offline. Last seen 2 years 14 weeks ago. Offline
Abeer,

I may suggest that you check on the timely distribution of your activities. And I supposed that you can also use a dividing factor, depending on your distribution.