Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Progress bars & baseline bars

4 replies [Last post]
Jonathan Ward
User offline. Last seen 12 years 15 weeks ago. Offline
Good afternoon all,

Here is my deliema; we have a baselined, resource loaded schedule that we and the client are happy with. However, within my Gant Chart view I would like to show progress within (small thin blue bar) the baseline bar, currently I am able to do this as long as the baseline bar is inline with the Datadate line,, HOWEVER,, what if my baseline bar is sitting in November and (today being the 23rd July) for some reason we have completed that task this week?, obviously the baseline bar stays in November but the progress bar sits on or to the left of the data date line,, what I would like to happen is this,,, the progress bar moves out to the basline bar where it sits within it (still in November represnting the planned dates), the actual starts and finish dates STILL remain as July BUT the data date (or progrees – I think it is called) line moves directly to the right to indicate the ‘progress’ then directly back in to the current date.

As always, any help that anyone could be would be hugely appreciated.

Many thanks

Jon

Replies

Rafael Davila
User offline. Last seen 8 hours 30 min ago. Offline

Is this what you are looking for?

Best regards,
Rafael
Arnold Puy
User offline. Last seen 9 years 11 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Jonathan,

If you don’t mind, can you send me the screenshot of what your delimma is, and showing what you want to happen (before & after). My email address is primavera6@live.com

I will send you the steps if it is possible.

Regards,

Arnold
Rafael Davila
User offline. Last seen 8 hours 30 min ago. Offline
Jonathan

I use SureTrak and do not have P6 but I explored the software for 2 weeks. I still have a copy of the manual the license owner gave me to help him. What you are asking I can easily do with SureTrak and with PowerProject seems like a walk in the park with some additional goodies as a jagged progress line.

It occurs to me you can do it with the Baseline as a separate project.

1.Detach your Original Baseline.
2.Create a Copy of your Original Baseline. Set New Baseline Copy update setting to manual, not auto.
3.Reattach your Original Baseline.
4.Update percent completes on your New Baseline Copy but do not reschedule. Never reschedule, just update percent complete or remaining duration.
5.Manually draw your New DD line; a red vertical line should do it.

Can you see what you wanted? Try updating just a couple of activities before going on with the remaining.

Best regards,
Rafael
Tamara Sutton
User offline. Last seen 8 years 23 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
P3 had a feature called "progress line" that I think did what you’re looking for. In PM, it is an ’existing enhancement request’.