Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Assign relationship faster

6 replies [Last post]
K D
User offline. Last seen 15 years 31 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Hi all.
We have 1000 WBS. Each WBS has 1 level of effort activity. In this LOE activity, we need to assign predecessor to activity which start earliest in the WBS and assign successor to activity which finish latest in the WBS.

Could you suggest me a quickly way to do this? Assign manually for each LOE activity take lots of time.

Thanks & regards
Khuong

Replies

K D
Hi Ahmet.

Apparently the WBS summary can not summarise the progress of activities.
After update progress on activities, LOE can roll up percent complete. Whereas WBS summary doesn’t. Please correct me if I’m wrong.

Thanks
Ahmet Cetin
User offline. Last seen 9 years 5 weeks ago. Offline
If I were you, I would try to convince the project manager. There is no any negative point to use wbs summary, i don’t understand why he stresses that it is not allowed. If you can learn why it is forbidden, I can help you to convince him to use it :)

Regards,
Ahmet Cetin

Visit PrimaveraTools.com
Primavera Tools, Forum, Tutorials, Outlook Plugin

K D
Thanks Jame. It’s quite a complicated method. I’ll try it.
James Barnes
User offline. Last seen 1 year 8 weeks ago. Offline
can you export/import activity and successor data from P3e in a similar way to p3.1? If you can, then you can write the links in the correct format in a Database table then dump them straight into the plan. You can use excel or access or whatever you’re most comfortable with to do a bit of logical linking using the activity data export. I do this a lot to hook up phase planning to individual scope items.

It might work something like this;

export the activities you need to link and their WBS data (or whatever it is you’re basing the need for links on)
export a relationship (just to get the correct table layout). In P3.1, this is 4 columns titled PRE,SUCC,REL,LAG respectively, may be different in P3e but not much, I’d guess

In excel use filtering or whtever to create a list of the activities you want to link. This way you can build up a list in excel of the links you want

Dump this list into your relationship table and import it to your plan. This is a very fast way of creating large numbers of links but you need to test before committing to the plan. The first time you do it you will probebly find that you got something wrong, ilke the relationships are all FF instead of FS or are the wrong way round (I have done this, created >4,000 loops >.< ) or somesuch

It’s vital to remember that importing links puts new links in, it won’t take links out (although it will change an SS to FF for example) so once you’ve made the import your stuck with the results. Thus testing on a back-up is paramount before committing the import to teh schedule.
K D
Hi Andrew.
From information of my seniour Project manager ,we can not use WBS summary type in this situation.
That’s why it cause lots of work to do now.

Thanks
Andrew Dick
User offline. Last seen 8 years 18 weeks ago. Offline
KD
If your using P5 just use the WBS summary activity type
Andy