Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Is resource referencing superior to resource loading? I find it to be much faster and useful...did I invent that term?

2 replies [Last post]
John Reeves
User offline. Last seen 1 week 16 hours ago. Offline
Groups: None

I like my term for this "Resource Referencing" - I think it is better because there is never enough time, what do you think of this method?

This method consists of using P6 data columns for quantity and rate and unit.  That basically turns the schedule into an excel spreadsheet.  For example for track, we simply want to know how much track per activity and the Total should add to the Total for the Project, very simple.  1 items per activity – for the major items, no doorknobs etc.  I have seen similar jobs where they put in a text column like 500/lf day etc – but it is much better and easier to balance using a integer to data column.  In fact I would put in a Total and percent and for some of the items I would just have it calc an estimated quantity based on what percent that area was. That way if you have to estimate to get it to balance you can use global commands to paint the data a bit, say increase all conduit quantities by 10% etc.  But you probably would not have to, there is probably some spreadsheets on your end with breakdowns.  Being that these are all cad sheets, the computers breakdown the quantities pretty easily. 

Replies

Rafael Davila
User offline. Last seen 18 hours 29 min ago. Offline

For Volumes of Work and Productivities be considered in Monte Carlo as non-deterministic parameters activity durations must be driven by non-deterministic resource/crew production rates and resources must be leveled on each iteration. 

2022-01-29-23-32-42

2022-01-29-23-33-34

It can be argued that it is assignments productivity the parameter that best define the correlation among activities.

MC-Correlations

Rodel Marasigan
User offline. Last seen 17 hours 42 min ago. Offline

Resource referencing is only for information purposes and cannot be used for reporting, analysis and other meaningful functioned of resource loading. You cannot do resource leveling in resource referencing. You cannot prepare S-Curve and other meaningful report. You cannot do risk performance and analysis...etc.