Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Matching the resource loaded MSP Schedule with Resource loaded P6

8 replies [Last post]
Rajkumar S
User offline. Last seen 30 weeks 5 days ago. Offline
Groups: None

Hi friends, My MSP Schedule is matched with P6 schedule in terms of duration, Pre & Suc, leads & Lags, resources, calendar. Without leveling the resource, the both MSP and P6 is matched 100%. When enabling the level resource option in Both, P6 dates are not matching with MSP. I need P6 has to match with MSP. Because, MSP is finalized with client. I need to find which option to be enabled in P6 in order to keep the date matched with P6. I am breaking my head for past 2 weeks. Please give me a hint to resolve this. if require, I shall share the files to check the issues. My Mail Id: rajkumars2810@gmail.com. Regards, Rajkumar

Replies

Zoltan Palffy
User offline. Last seen 3 days 18 hours ago. Offline

that would be your best option

Rajkumar S

Friends,

Thank you so much for you prompt reply.

I understood there is always differences in resource calculations of MSP and P6.

Now i need to proceed with P6 in order to maintaining single control tool of project

Rajkumar S

Rajkumar S

Hi,

Thanks a lot for your valuable informations.

I would follow the schedule with resource either with MSP or P6.

Rafael Davila
User offline. Last seen 10 hours 15 min ago. Offline

Resource leveling using different calculation engines is a sure way to create mismatches, for this reason using different software to manage schedule and to manage risk does not makes much sense.

The differences can be very big.

https://www.stottlerhenke.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/2009-10-01_Auro...

• In this paper we have shown that resource constrained schedules and therefore resource constrained project management is greatly affected by the underlying resource-leveling / scheduling engine more so as the project becomes larger and includes larger numbers of resource requirements and other non temporal constraints. It is unfortunate that project teams that have put in the significant effort and cost to create a resource constrained model may not know that they could potentially reap huge time and cost savings simply by running there already built model through a different scheduling engine.

By the way if using Spider Project out of the box, without need to look for prioritization rules we get better results than Aurora, P6 and MSP on the eight activities sample schedule, we get the optimal solution.

Aurora01 photo Aurora_zpsospvtyvp.jpg

Zoltan Palffy

Tom is correct they will NEVER match 100% get them as close as possible and then adjust accordlingly.

Tom Boyle
User offline. Last seen 4 days 13 hours ago. Offline

I think there is no solution for your problem.

The available leveling options for MSP and P6 are very different and cannot be perfectly aligned.  In addition the leveling rules for MSP are essentially a black box.  You may be able to introduce some preferential logic into your P6 schedule to mimic the MSP leveling decisions.  Even if you could get perfect alignment between the two tools in a baseline schedule, this alignment would disappear at the first update. 

Zoltan Palffy

1. Check your durations turn on the decimals they may be different.

2. Check you TIMES go to edit users preference and turn your TIMES on 

3. Check you work TIMES in your calendar.

4. Check you Data date TIME.

5. Make sure that you are using a project calendar as opposed to a global calendar and that the calendar matches MSP exactly.