Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

P3e No of activities

5 replies [Last post]
henry holland
User offline. Last seen 14 years 18 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
I would like to enquire how many activities you deem to be a sensible amount to manage properly on a P3e Programme. We are currently looking at 3-4000 activities which i feel would not be managed properly by one individual. What are your thoughts?

Replies

Dieter Wambach
User offline. Last seen 7 years 3 weeks ago. Offline
Hi David
You adressed a very important item: All items have to be discussed before the project starts. Especially for a turnaround. ALL reports, all discussions on mailing lists must be done before. Responsibilities for progress reporting clear. Regulations, e.g. pay contractors on reported and confirmed progress only as well.
During the project you as a terrier hunting for progress data.
P3e’s publish feature is very helpful.
Henry don’t be afraid on the number of activities!
Dieter

David Smith
User offline. Last seen 7 weeks 1 day ago. Offline
Henry,
I just finished a turnaround with just over 6000 activities. It was not the schedule that was hard to keep up with. My client had just gotten P3e on there site and someone had commited every report they could think of to be delivered during the turnaround. Each report had to be published, printed to pdf and emailed to different managers. There were several layouts that had to be published, printed to pdf and mailed to managers. I was also required to attend 2 meetings a day. Progress was done twice a day.

You see what I’m getting at? I am now building a schedule that is expected to reach 25,000 activities. I have a young scheduler that will help with updates.

I found out that the schedule was the easy part, it was all the other things that kept me behind. This time I am going to try and control the number of reports and layouts that I run each shift. (I had no control before.) My plans are to publish the project and or the reports and send everyone a link to the folder that it is published to.

Just don’t forget all the other things that a scheduler may be asked to do during the turnaround or project you have coming up.

And Again Good Luck!

David
Dieter Wambach
User offline. Last seen 7 years 3 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Henry
For P3e or P3 it is no problem to handle. It’s up to you to well structure: Mainly WBS and Activity Codes to keep an overview.
My biggest project was about 190000 activities (1,5 years of planning, daily reporting and bi-directional transfer with SAP during life-time). Project ended the scheduled day. Due to SAP we "over-structured".
Good luck!
Dieter
James Barnes
User offline. Last seen 1 year 7 weeks ago. Offline
my last was 25000, built and updated daily by 2 of us

Takes 2 people about 1 1/2 hours a day to do the update (roughly 6-800 activities per day) once progress has been collected.

so 3-4000 shouldn’t be a major challenge.

however, think about your progress gathering system. This is what takes the time if it’s not thought out fully. Data entry is quick once the data is there.
A D
User offline. Last seen 3 years 26 weeks ago. Offline
My last project: 48000 activities, done with the help of a junior (Junior used for updates only)