Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Why primavera?

15 replies [Last post]
Chris Austin
User offline. Last seen 14 years 34 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
I have known many people who have used and sworn by primavera. Why is it such an excellent planning tool?

Replies

Tomas Rivera
User offline. Last seen 5 years 5 weeks ago. Offline
Guys:

I add myself to those using resource leveling and wishing a better tool is developed by Primavera.

The resource leveling algorithm in P3 is much better than the one in Primavera 5.x.

Some projects can do well without resource leveling. Other projects need resource leveling in order to have a realistic schedule. And others, very few, require to have resource leveling in order to control strategic, critical or limited resources.

So, it is not only the user involved in this situation, but the project needs also. I understand that projects that need resource leveling are not receiving this benefit because the user or the tool at hand is not appropiate.

I agree very much with Vladimir that project management maturity plays a fundamental role in this equation.

Tomas Rivera
Ahmed,
I asked this question here on planningplanet.com. Even here few planners use resource levelling. So the answers at your poll are predictable.
I don’t know what is the main reason:
1 option - project management systems are not mature and the softwate is not used for decision making,
2 option - people feel that they cannot rely on the software automatic resource levelling capabilities.
I am sure that it is necessary not just to buy the software but to implement Project Management Systems and project management culture to improve the situation with the option 1. Prinavera and Microsoft Project poor resource levelling capabilities increase the number of disappointed planners (option 2).
Ahmet Cetin
User offline. Last seen 9 years 2 weeks ago. Offline
Actually I cannot say that the users of Primavera don’t need resource leveling. Of course it is quite important part of scheduling. It is true that Primavera has primitive resource leveling. It is not doing resource leveling as you expect automatically, but it is giving the possibility to analyze and filter the problematic activities and you can level manually. Yes, doing manually takes time, but it is as it is.

On the other hand, we are discussing here as a group of people who are good in planning/scheduling. Still lots of people, companies in construction industry also who are not using cpm scheduling or after planning as a requirement of the contract they signed, they hang the A0 clorful printout of schedule to the wall as wallpaper. They only mark the dates by a pen if they hit the dates or not. Even many project managers who don’t have planner/scheduler background, this is true.

Even here, in this forum, I would love to see what is the percentage of planners who really uses/needs to have in their daily life.

I opened a poll for this purpose for the interested people in PrimaveraTools.com: http://www.primaveratools.com/Forum/tabid/132/forumid/1/postid/38/view/topic/Default.aspx

Don’t understand me wrong, I’m not saying resource leveling is not important, I feel that it is missing in Primavera, what I wanted to tell is, many people are not mature enough to use it yet, or they prefer to have control over schedule doing it manually generally.

Ahmet Cetin

Visit PrimaveraTools.com
Primavera Tools, Forum, Tutorials, Outlook Plugin

Ahmet, I understood that most users of Primavera do not level resources and so poor resource levelling capabilities do not matter much.

Thank you for the reference to OTS site. Unfortunately they did not make public their examples of improving Primavera resource constrained schedules.

Resource smoothing may be done by playing with the available resources at different time periods. It shall not be done manually. Actually I cannot imagine manual resource levelling of the real schedules that are quite large.
Ahmet Cetin
Yeah, definitely resource leveling is not the best part of Primavera. From users point of view, the problem, having smooth resource distribution, looks very simple, but from programming point of view, it is a bit complicated. It requires utilizing artificial intelligence techniques. Of course it cannot be excuse for a company like Primavera that it is complicated to program especially as there are tools around which are doing it better. I think they have other priorities to invest first.

There is a utility which looks doing leveling nicer. I didn’t test it personally, but looks nice on the website :)

You can check it at:

http://www.otsys.com/psop.htm

Ahmet Cetin

Visit PrimaveraTools.com
Primavera Tools, Forum, Tutorials, Outlook Plugin

Andrew Dick
User offline. Last seen 8 years 15 weeks ago. Offline
Guys,
Primavera for all it’s good points and features (too many to number, and possibly just plain too many), has proven to be an industry powerhouse, and possibly the most popular sowftware for its genre.

BUT, all I want it to do is provide a properly resource smoothed computation, based on a constrained end date.

Unfortuneatley it seems that the bells and whistles department at Primavera has most of the say in the way this product is put together, what they need is a champion to get the resource engine up to scratch, at the moment it does NOT do what i have been able to do in much less exspensive scheduling tools.

I cannot beleive the answers straight out of the basic resource analysis and must then carry out work around ’Manual smoothing’ in a what if copy of my project.

All I really want to do is smooth the resource profile between 2 dates (Start & Finish) based on my availible pool of resources. But as soon as the algorithm gets stuck it just uses early dates for the activity. this is not the best as if you couldn’t start it on the early dates the first time you looked you wont be able to do it the second time.

What you need is to be able to forceably start the activity after a predetermined amount of delay, (Whilst still honoring logic), This will provide a better indication of where your resource choke points are throughout your schedule, simply putting them on early dates gives you a front loaded program which you don’t have a chance of meeting anyway.

So in closing, I applaude Primavera for a tool that is very easy to manipulate, and slice the schedule many different ways, the options are fantastic. I enjoy using the tool every day, BUT when my project managers are constantly asking when they need resources based on a smoothed profile, I get very dissapointed in the ability of Primavera to perform this function.

Until people realise that there are better scheduling algorithims out there that provide this type of analysis, and request Primavera to do the same type of analysis, I guess we all have to do it manually.

Andy
Ahmet Cetin
Hello Paul,

Thank you for your comments, I really appreciate to discuss such details with someone; it is not so easy to find such person daily life. I hope some people from these companies, Primavera, Asta, Microsoft, are following this forum and can see the requirements of the people.

I really agree with your comments. What I wanted to tell is only, I believe in EPM and think that the power of having project portfolio, resource pool and multi-user environment with timesheet-progress report is more important than loosing such features of P3. On the other hand, the developer is the same, Primavera, therefore I don’t understand why they didn’t implement these features still.

For negative cost: you can define a resource called cash with $1 price/unit, and assign negative units, then you can have negative cost in resource. I know it is not state-of-art solution, just a workaround. I think using expense for negative costs is better. On the other hand, I would love to know why still Primavera is not implementing a feature called Income. There is Spending Plan / Benefit Plan for top-down budgeting, but no income for bottom-up budgeting, it is a bit weird for me.

For assigning codes, calendars, etc. please check Fill Down function (Edit->Fill Down - ctrl+E). It is not like dragging but it works, and quite nice. Just select the cell you want to copy, then select activities you want to fill, and ctrl+E.

Another thing I like in new Primavera is making relations quick. Ctrl+Click the activities in the order you want to have relationships, then select Edit->Link Activities, you will have FS made in the order you click.

Hope we can exchange ideas later on as well, thank you for your comments again.

Ahmet Cetin

Visit PrimaveraTools.com
Primavera Tools, Forum, Tutorials, Outlook Plugin for Primavera

Paul Harris
User offline. Last seen 1 year 5 weeks ago. Offline
Dear Ahmet Cetin

I think we will agree to disagree on this new Primavera software.

Some one has to paint the downside of the product as there are so many people say how good it is, so I will point out the down side.

I think P5/6 is fine for large client organisations who have multiple project to run and I have recommended and implemented it with several of my clients who are not construction contractors.

Many of my construction contracting clients think it is not up to standard. They are either sticking to SureTrak/P3 or looking at things like Asta PowerProject or Open Plan. They tend to be moving across to P5 when their clients have adopted it and some are predicting the inevitable and are taking the easy upgrade path. There are still multi billion dollar projects in Australia still running on P3, the Eastlink project in Victoria (A$3.8 billion) and the Queensland Government Western Corridor Recycled Water project which only recently started (A$2.0 billion), to name a couple. This is the first time in a number of years that construction companies have not automatically upgraded, my comments below indicate why.

There are a few points below for you to consider:

1. Central database. Why not provide the option of both data base and file format, Asta and MSP do and if I remember correctly so does Spider! Asta will open an XER (no import but open) work with it and save it.
3. The Toolbar is not customizable and right clicking does not have the important commands like apply filters and applying layouts. It takes 6 clicks to apply a Layout, and applying or reviewing constraints requires the bottom window to be dragged right up. This is not productive software.
5. The Total Float for multiple projects in P5 is correct per project only. P3 has the Advance Scheduling option of “Base float end date when scheduling” and selecting either “project group” or “each project”. P5 uses the “each project” option and I have not found the “project group” option. I have raised this with Primavera as an incident to get clarification. The only way I have found to do get the Total Float to calculate based on the last activity of multiple projects is to:
- Open all the projects
- Select the default project.
- Calculate the schedules when they are opened together. It also appears that you have to manually change all the projects Data Dates for each project one at a time,
- Identify the earliest finish of all the activities.
- Set a Project Must Finish by Date in all projects to the earliest finish date.
- Recalculate the projects.
This is very time consuming when the projects in P5 are being used as subprojects, which one would expect.
8. There is expected finish, thank you for correcting this.
9. Zero Total Float constraints are not Mandatory Start and Mandatory Finish constraints. Zero Total Float sets the Late Finish to equal the Early finish and the activity will move when a predecessor moves. Mandatory Start and Finish constraints will not allow an activity to move and either positive or negative float will be generated when a predecessor or successor moves on the appropriate predecessor or successor but float will not pass through a Mandatory constraint.
10. As Late As Possible. There are two ways to calculate ALAP, to delay an activity so it consumes Free Float as P3 and SureTrak does, or to delay an activity to consume Total Float as MSP does. All Primavera software only has the first option, not the second. It would be nice to have the second, but not critical. But the down side is imported schedule can not calculate correctly when this constraint is not available.
12. Printing, have a look at again Asta and then you will see what printing should be like. MSP is not a good reference point here as every one knows how bad their printing is. What you suggest should be in P6 is in Asta and much more. One needs to look at other products on the market and not just MSP to see how far behind the norm P6 really is.
15. Necking bars crashes system. I have been advised by Primavera support in the UK that this is a known issue in P5, even after the 4th Service Pack still crashes my machine and some one of my clients. There is a combination of options that makes it happen and we are still working out what the combination is.
16. Setting vertical gridlines to days & hours crashes system. I have been advised by Primavera support in the UK that this is a known issue, even after the 4th Service Pack, it crashes mine and my clients machines. We have stopped using these gridlines.
19. Negative costs. One can not put negative cost against resources. In P3 one can. Negative costs against resources are very useful, especially if you expect income into a project when returning material, back charging a subcontractor or selling equipment and Expenses often not the best place for this. P3 has an Auto Cost rule to allow negative costs, another great feature killed off. I also expect that imported project will not calculate correctly.

And with your last comment without a number, I can only disagree with you. I find the productivity in P3 far greater that P5, especially on large schedules. If you want to see real productivity then look at some of the Asta features, where you can assign resources codes and calendars by dragging which is great.

It is also good to have this type of discussion without being rude or aggressive and I am sure this forum appreciates your constructive input.

Paul E Harris
Eastwood Harris Pty Ltd, Melbourne, Australia
Planning and Scheduling Training Manual & Book Publishers & Consulting
www.eh.com.au
Ahmet Cetin
Hello Paul,

I agree on most of your comments, but some not really.

1. There are pluses and minuses of using central database. For me there are more pluses than minuses, for some users there might be more minuses than pluses. But for sharing the project xer file format works quite nice.
2. I totally agree, it was very nice feature of P3, pity it doesn’t exist anymore.
3. Toolbar is not customizable, it is true, but navigation is not that bad. Especially context menu (right click) makes life quite easier.
5. I think the way of showing critical path for multiple projects in P5 is correct. If you are managing three projects, you shall see critical path of each project seperately, also you need to see critical path of whole group as well. P5 is doing exactly like that. If you want to see only critical path of the group, you have possibility to see it with float paths, and it is not difficult to setup.
6. Totally agree with you, this one is also an important drawback.
8. There is expected finish. If you set expected finish date in activity details, and set "Use expected finish dates" in scheduling options, Primavera calculates backward pass using expected finish dates.
9. Zero Total Float constraints are Mandatory Start and Mandatory Finish constraints in Primavera.
10. As Late As Possible must be Free Float based, otherwise it cannot be activity constraint. If as late as possible will be total float based, it should affect all its successors. ASAP refers to in Primavera as it is by default.
11. In P6, layouts remember rollup level.
12. For printing, I totally disagree, especially comparison with MSP. P5 or P6 is far better than MSP print-outs, not even comparable. Comparison with P3, i would agree partly. There were much better possibilities in P3, like printing histograms of several manpower groups at the same page, etc.
13. I totally agree, leaving matrix reports behind is a big mistake. But until the end of 2007, Primavera plans to publish reporting server, using this, we will be able to make any report we may want to have.
14. Primavera Contractor is targetting the subcontractor actually. I agree, 2000 activities not enough still. On the other hand, I don’t also agree on the comment "many contractors don’t require Enterprise functions", actually it is partly true but many contractors started to realize the power of having all project in the same place.
15. Necking bars working fine (it is the matter of applying service pack, no problem on P6)
16. Setting vertical gridlines to days & hours working fine
17. Another big mistake of Primavera, I think. It was very useful when printing out. Totally agree with you.
19. I don’t agree, you can give negative costs using expenses.
20. Yeah, the project settings should be more flexible. I agree, current user preferences is not enough, especially if you are saying that you are doing Enterprise Project Management.
22. Totally agree with you. For scheduling, Primavera is far better than MSP but, I don’t understand, how Primavera cannot do multiple split activites if MSP is doing. It is quite important feature.

On the other hand, I must say that, Enterprise version of Primavera (P5, P6) has many other advantages over P3 also. I don’t have time to go into detail, but I think usage of P5 or P6 is easier than P3, especially defining activites and relationships, assigning resources, activity codes, etc. much easier than P3.

Ahmet Cetin

Visit PrimaveraTools.com
Primavera Tools, Forum, Tutorials, Outlook Plugin for Primavera

Paul Harris
User offline. Last seen 1 year 5 weeks ago. Offline
KD many of the features you list are standard features of most scheduling software packages.

I will agree that Primavera Version 6.0 has some great features but unfortunately there is a whole list of very basic functions that are in P3 and or SureTrak that are still not in P6 and this is the reason why so many construction contractors are taking so much time to move over to the new Primavera products. To name a few:

1.     No ability to open and save to a normal file format. There is a significant overhead in maintaining databases.
2.     No Activity ID Codes.
3.     No Customizable Tool bar thus making accessing functions Layouts taking 6 clicks instead of 2 in P3 or SureTrak.
4.     The summary durations in days do not calculate correctly when a project has multiple calendars with different hours per day. P3 did not have this problem but SureTrak and MSP does.
5.     The critical path when multiple projects are open are only calculated per project. To get the critical path for multiple projects takes a bit of work.
6.     It is not possible to create an isolated project with its own filters and layouts without seeing every other projects stuff. Open a new project and one gets the last projects layout, this has caught a few people out. It is not good form to print a schedule for a client with another client’s logo in the printout.
7.     It is hard to get at constraints, the user has to pull up the lower form over half way up the screen to access the constraints form.
8.     No Expected Finish Constraint
9.     No Zero Total Float Constraint
10.     The As Late As Possible is Free Float Based, there is no ASAP Total Float Based, as in MSP.
11.     Layouts do not remember the Rollup Level.
12.     Printing can only be described as a disaster after using P3 and SureTrak, it is probabley worse than MSP.
13.     There are no matrix reports.
14.     Many contractors do not require the Enterprise functions as they often run projects in a single project environment but Primavera Contractor has been hobbled to 2,000 activities which is far too low for any serious contractor to consider adopting. P6 is a client package not a contactor package.
15.     Necking Bars is known to crash the system.
16.     Setting Vertical Gridlines to Days & Hours is known to crash the system.
17.     No page breaks with Group and Sort, a simplified version is available in Page setup.
18.     No manual page breaks.
19.     No negative cost.
20.     User Preferences are for User but there are no Project Preferences. There should be Preferences for each project. Short projects require the date & time shown and long project date only. As the user moves from project to another the User preferences have to be changed, this takes a long time.
21.     It will not provide a late leveled schedule.
22.     It will not multiple split activities, not in P3 or SureTrak either but in MSP and would expect it in P6.

If I have misunderstood any Primavera functions I would be more than happy to take advice.

Paul E Harris
Eastwood Harris Pty Ltd, Melbourne, Australia
Planning and Scheduling Training Manual & Book Publishers & Consulting
www.eh.com.au
Edderic See
User offline. Last seen 14 years 16 weeks ago. Offline
Hi all,

Yes, primavera is a wonderful tool however it is microsoft project who introduce the undo command based on their spreadsheet software. In my opinion, some of the characteristics of microsoft project was adopted to P5 to make it look good. No offense guys.

Regards,

Ed
Maxim Borukhovskiy
User offline. Last seen 16 years 23 weeks ago. Offline
I think spider project better than primavera
K D
User offline. Last seen 15 years 28 weeks ago. Offline
Hi All.
Below are some top new features of P6.

Scheduling
 Future period bucket planning
 Display or suppress grouping band totals
 Narrow & wide setting for grouping bands
 Search in pop-up dialogs (Easy to use)
 Type-ahead in dropdowns (Easy to use)
 New options for saving screens & layouts (Easy to use)
• Expand and collapse
• Adjust row heights
• Box positions & zoom factor in chart views
 Project specific layouts and filters (Easy to use)
 Filters saved & exported with layouts (Easy to use)
 Improved Copy Project (Easy to use)
• Baselines
• Layouts
• Filters
 Reflection (Improved What If Analysis) (Easy to use)
• Retain baselines
• Retain timesheets
 Import and export project includes project specific layouts, filters and baselines (Easy to use) Post 6.0
 Granular import security maintains global dictionaries (Easy to use)
 Approval of activity status changes made by team members
Web Project Management
 New user interface & navigation (Easy to use)
• Import from Excel, schedule and baseline support
 Interactive web based Gantt chart
• Drag and drop activities
• Draw relationships
• Adjust durations
• Inline data entry
 Add, delete, and modify WBS
 Automatic date and duration calculations
 Progress Spotlight (Easy to use)
 Interactive columns
• Select columns to be displayed
• Adjust column widths
• Change column order
 Grouping of activities
• Group by activity
• Format band
 Interactive timescale
• Customize display intervals
• Auto size to see entire duration of project (Easy to use)
• Snap to see current activity (Easy to use)
 Basic bar formatting
 Customize filters
 Save views
 Easy to print
 Create new projects quickly (Easy to use)
Subcontractor Management
 New web user interface & navigation (Easy to use)
 Ability to update activity status for approval by planner
 Resource calendar portlets (Easy to use)
 Bookmark most recently visited pages (Easy to use)
Portfolio and Program Management
 New user interface & navigation (Easy to use)
 Subscription-based graphical dashboards available
• Multiple dashboards
• New graphics
• Advanced printing support
 Multiple portfolio scorecards & views
 Publish scorecards & graphics to dashboards
 40+ new stoplight indicators (Easy to use)
 Create new projects using Excel-like interface
 View portfolio/program level cost worksheet summary data from Contract Manager
 Side by side comparison of portfolios
 What-if scenario modelling
• Save, recall, and share scenarios (Easy to use)
• Waterline analysis & optimization
• Resource capacity analysis with interactive Gantt chart
 Export to Excel
Resource Management
 Top down planning of resources & roles
 Plan at all levels of the WBS
 Excel-like formatting and data entry (Easy to use)
• Cut, copy, and paste
• Fill-over functionality
• Configurable spreadsheet columns
 Organize by resource or role team
 Assign by percentage (%)
 Assign projects directly to resources or roles
 Rollup data live to the portfolio level
 Automatic summarization of resource planning data
Timesheets
 ADA Section 508 compliance for timesheets
 Save user settings for timesheets (Easy to use)
 Enhanced search in timesheets (Easy to use)
 Assign to a new activity & add to the opened timesheet in one step (Easy to use)
 Expose the ‘Assigned By’ and ‘Assigned Date’ fields in timesheets
 View activities from inactive projects in timesheets
 Preference to view completed assignments (Easy to use)
Contract Management
 MS SQL Server 2005 support
 Oracle 10G support
 Option to manage changes using formal change management process or individually for quick approval
 Ability to create user & assign security template through XML API
 Upgrade to InfoMaker 10.5
 Better quality of printed reports using PDF reporting
Reporting & Analytics
 Operational data store for “day to day” reporting
 Star Schema for business intelligence
 Works with any third party reporting tool
 Trends analysis with periodic historical snapshots
 Uses Primavera role-based security
 Platform independent (Oracle, SQL)
 Supports local languages
Administration
 Configure web user interface (Easy to use)
 Configure tabs and functions displayed (Easy to use)
• Select tabs
• Select functions
• Assign to users
• Lock down views or provide override
 Limit number of baselines copied with a project
 Additional timesheets project preferences
 Allow resources to assign themselves to activities
 Allow resources to modify their own resource assignment dates
Andrew Dick
User offline. Last seen 8 years 15 weeks ago. Offline
Ahmet,
I must say that you make some bold statements when it comes to the ability of Primavera.

I most certainly enjoy using Primavera and I will say that Primavera provides the user with more than enough options and methods of schedule composition and structure, in fact maybe too many.

There are many questions that can be raised over the quality of the resource leveling function, as with just a standard calculator you can quickly work out that there are over 10,000 manual setting combinations to derive answers.

I found an interesting issue with the early dates (Supposedly pure time analysis) calculations, where when using resource dependant activities, and individual resource calendars, the early finish dates of the activity changed when a resource calendar was adjusted to show holidays. Now this is quite correct when using resource analysis, but should not happen when considering pure logic and durations.

The other thing that causes issues is the fact that as soon as the scheduler runs into trouble it immediately schedules the activities that can’t be leveled onto their early dates. There are other project management/scheduling tools which have enhanced resource algorithms which allow activities to delay their start (scheduled Start) a predetermined amount. If the activity hits the maximum delay, it is at this time the activity is forcibly started, and if needed a resource overload will happen at this time.

Unfortunately most of my projects are late before they start, and I have issues with resources from day one, so I have carried out a lot of test scenarios with P5 and have found that the best way for the leveler to run is to ensure that you don’t have any hard constraints and that you definitely do not use the ‘Level activities only within activity total float’ function as this setting will basically overrule the algorithm and put all the activities on their early dates.

I think Primavera has many, many positive attributes, however in my opinion its use in construction (from information I have received from colleagues) is assisted by the fact that the resource leveling function is not used, as the schedule dictates, based on the early dates, when resources should be on site and the subbies just make it happen.

So that’s my opinion, and I’d love to receive some information on the ability of resource leveling in Primavera that will give me answers I can both believe and use.

Andy
Ahmet Cetin
It is simply giving you much flexibility when you are scheduling. There are many points really, but if you are in Construction industry, when you are making high level scheduling, you need to have a relationship called "ladder". It is simply controlling the successor both for start date and also finish data (linking two activities Start-to-start and Finish-to-finish at the same time). This is not possible in Microsoft Project. You may ask why it is so important. Let’s say you have Plastering Works activity for a floor in the building and Painting. Definitely, Painting cannot start before Plastering starts, but also cannot finish before Plastering finishes.

Also using Primavera, you can have Retained Logic scheduling, which is not available in MSP again.

You see the power of Primavera especially when you are handling big schedule (1000+ activities), and making serious resource planning.

I cannot say that Primavera is perfect tool, of course as every software, it has also some drawbacks, but for me and for many project managers, schedulers; it is definitely the best project management, scheduling tool in the market.

Hope this helps,

Ahmet Cetin

Visit PrimaveraTools.com
Primavera Tools, Forum, Tutorials