Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Resource Remaining Early Start Date on LOE Activity

10 replies [Last post]
Patricia Le Clainche
User offline. Last seen 9 years 20 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
I often find some wrong Remaining Early Start Dates of resources on LOE Activities that have already begun.
We have this problem when we select the field "Drive Activity Date".
If we do not select it, we notice that it is the Finish Date of the Resource that is wrong.

Is there any way to solve this problem ?

Replies

Patricia Le Clainche
Hello Ronald,

Thanks for your advises.
But I am sorry to tell you that I had already checked that predecessors were finished (Actual Finish Date).

This is a mystery.

I met the pb also today afternoon on one task that was started (without any link, I mean no predecessor and no successor). When we did the progress last month it was OK ; today, I had a similar pb with the Remaining Early Start that had been postponed till Aug 2nd instead of May 1st after scheduling (F9). I noticed this pb as the ETC was wrong.
Patricia Le Clainche
Hello Fadhel,

Resources Calendar as well as Activity calendar are btoh OK !
I have to find the pb somewhere else.

But thanks for your help.
Ronald Winter
User offline. Last seen 3 years 2 weeks ago. Offline
Primavera schedules activities based on logic. It will not schedule an activity to have an early start until all of the predecessor activities have had time to complete.

When a successor activity is started (with an Actual Start Date) before all of the predecessor activities have completed, then we say that it has started out-of-sequence.

If the out-of-sequence activity has started but not finished as of the data date, P5 (using the Retained Logic CPM setting) will delay the scheduling of the remaining early start until such time as all of the preceding activities have had time to complete. The activity may have been able to start earlier that logic would have allowed but it cannot continue to be progressed until all predecessor work is first complete.

This is correct and normal behavior and that is why you observed the delayed remaining early start dates. I hope that this helps. Good luck!
Fadhel Al-Saffar
User offline. Last seen 15 years 24 weeks ago. Offline
check the followings:

*Check the resource calendar:Make sure of working day of the resource assigned.

Patricia Le Clainche
Ronald,

Could you please explain what you mean by "out-of-sequence progress using the Retained Logic CPM setting".
Sorry, I have still a lot to learn...

Do you mean it could be a pb with non-logical link (predecessor dates ?) ; if it is what you think about, I checked this point.

Patricia Le Clainche

Fadhel,
In response to your question : I am using P3e V5.2, but we do have this problem since P3e V4 at least.

Ronald Winter
User offline. Last seen 3 years 2 weeks ago. Offline
Have you considered out-of-sequence progress using the Retained Logic CPM setting being the cause of the apparent delayed dates?
Fadhel Al-Saffar
User offline. Last seen 15 years 24 weeks ago. Offline
which version of Primavera EC are you using and SP..??!!
Patricia Le Clainche

We have some LOE Activities with Predecessors (Relationships SS for one, and FF for the other one).
All the activities are in Fixed Duration & Units per Time.

On some LOE activities that are already started, in many cases, we have the Remaining Early Start Date of the Resource that is loaded on this activity which is wrong ; as the activity is started, we should have the Remaining Early Start Date of the resource equal to Data Date (or very close to it, depending on Calendar). But in some cases, this Remaining Early Start Date of the resource is starting a few months later.

That means that the Workload profile is wrong.
Ashraf Jahangeer
User offline. Last seen 8 years 3 weeks ago. Offline
Patricia,

Can you explain a little bit more your question?

Regards,

Ashraf