Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

summary data

20 replies [Last post]
mohammad raghib
User offline. Last seen 18 years 29 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
HI EVERY ONE
IM USING P3E/C , AND FOR SEVERAL TIMES I NOTCE THAT REMAINING DURATION AND SOME OTHER DATES ARE NOT CORRECT WHEN DO SUMMARY BY WBS ??
CAN ANY ONE HELP ME

Replies

Predict Manager
User offline. Last seen 6 years 39 weeks ago. Offline

Sorrey to come in with solution of summary not fit your direct answer 

think in the image below, why you don't have the same

if you like it and more about massege me

a3pm_sample.jpg

Khuong Do
User offline. Last seen 2 years 2 weeks ago. Offline

Hi,

I write an article regarding How does Primavera P6 summarize data in the Summary / Grouping Band. If you're interested kindly read here https://doduykhuong.com/2017/07/10/how-does-primavera-p6-summarize-data-in-the-summary-grouping-band/

Ronald Romero
User offline. Last seen 35 weeks 5 days ago. Offline
Joel,

You can also export it to MS project and make the relationship that the client want’s you since this can be done in MSP.

Cheers,

Ronnie
Joel Villanueva
User offline. Last seen 48 weeks 5 days ago. Offline
Hi Dieter,

“All relationships for WBS-Summaries are ignored by P6”. “They will be ignored by scheduling” This is exactly what I wanted to know it really cleared my doubt. I can now justify to client if ever they ask for explanation. Thank you very much Dieter!

Regards,
Joel
Dieter Wambach
User offline. Last seen 7 years 7 hours ago. Offline
Joel

I can’t understand your customer. But if there is a rule to follow, he’ll pay and it isn’t against your principles for life, he might have his sweets.

All relationships for WBS-Summaries are ignored by P6. To make the work easier for you, just filter and show all WBS-Summary --> mark all activities --> open predecessors-window --> assign project start milestone --> open successors-window --> assign project finish milestone. So customer won’t realize them in the log-file any more . As I wrote: They will be ignored by scheduling.

Regards
Dieter
Joel Villanueva
Thanks for the encouragement! I really need it in this kind of environment that seems everybody think I am only a mere paper pusher, keyboard jockey and a pain in the ass. Whew! Sorry I was carried away… But this is a real challenge for me. Thanks for PP’s I found valuable website in this kind of profession.

But still, going back to my query is there will be any problem if tied my WBS summary activities to start and finish milestone activities? By the way I am using P6. Thank you very much.

Cheers,
Joel

Nestor Principe
User offline. Last seen 12 years 45 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Joel,

Don’t give up to demand of the Client if it means doing something not normal. Let them hire someone who could understand. This practice is not good to planning.

Cheers,
Nestor
Joel Villanueva
Hi Julius,

Thanks for the conclusion,It will be a lot of work for me if I will to tie each of WBS summary activity to the earlies start and latest finish activity within the group because I have an almost 1K summary group. Actually what I’ve done was I tied them to start and finish milestone activity.
I link start milestone as predecessor of all WBS activity and then finish milestone as successor of all WBS summary activty.By sorting out by name during assigning successor and predecessor it’s lot easier to me.

I haven’t notice any summarization problem on the WBS summary but still I have a doubt because I am just neophyte in scheduling.Is there will be any problem to what I’ve done?.

Anyone please help me clear my doubt. Thanks a lot.

Regards,
Joel
julius achy
User offline. Last seen 13 years 43 weeks ago. Offline
Hello All,

When you go through Duy H response very clearly, you will be able to solve your problem.

Find below the characteristics of a WBS summary for your guide.

1. It comprises a group of activities that share a common WBS level.
2. Dates calculated on the WBS summary activities are based on the earliest start date of the activities in the group and the latest finish dates of these activities.

3. The WBS Summary activity duration is based on its assigned calendar but take note you cannot assign a constraint to a WBS summary activity.

Joel,

Conclussion: make the earlies start activity on the group a its predecessor with SS+0 and the latest finish activity its succesor with a FF+0 and that will close the open ends.

Please let me know if it works for you.

Julius Abuda
Joel Villanueva
Duy,

Thanks for the explanation.

Hi All,

What is the effect of assigning predecessor and successor activity to WBS summary activities?
I am asking this because our client don’t want to see activities without predecessor and successor and he’s bit confuse upon to explaining him that those are WBS summary activities.I am planning to tie wbs summary activities to start and finish milestone so it will not appear on the view log and avoid confusion in their part. Thanks.

Regards,
Joel

Duy Huynh
User offline. Last seen 14 years 5 weeks ago. Offline
Hi all,

Calculation of Summary Band will always be based on Global Default Calendar & hours/day in Admin setting.For those who have this problem, please check what is your Global Default Calendar? It must be the same as your Project/Activity calendar to be able to calculate duration of Summary Band correctly.

For Joel,

You will need to manually update an activity with type of WBS Summary. It characteristic almost same as Level Of Effort but WBS Summary duration determined by the earliest early start and latest late finish of all activities within that WBS - WHILE Level Of Effort depends on relationships and may spead wide over other WBS.

Regards.
Mohamed ganzouri
User offline. Last seen 10 years 40 weeks ago. Offline
yes u r sure all activities have same calendar but take care ur summary bar follow calendar of the project in project view.
Mohamed ganzouri
Joel Villanueva
Hi All,

I have a trouble finding what’s the cause of WBS summary Activity not to show correct summary of Activity percent complete, it idicates 0% even if there are already in-progress and completed activity beneath them. Activity percent complete type was all physical and I entered value in them. My WBS summary activity is set to duration% complete.Other wbs summary are working properly. Can anyone extend help? Thanks.

Regards,
-Joel-
Henk van der Heide
User offline. Last seen 6 years 18 weeks ago. Offline
Maybe this is your problem:

on the project level (settings) you dan choose what to use for summarization. If you use the baseline you will find the summarization of your baseline budgets/durations etc. in your current layout. This can be verry confusing.

Adjie Heryanto
User offline. Last seen 16 years 43 weeks ago. Offline
FYI....

I’ve managed to know the cause....
Seems like that previously my Time Periods setting in Admin Preference menu is different with what I have on the Calendar....that’s why....

Cheers,
Adjie
Adjie Heryanto
User offline. Last seen 16 years 43 weeks ago. Offline
I have same problem like this
(summary of duration is not correct).

ie:
one level of WBS has ONE activity below it.
the activity duration is 21 days.
Why the summary can become 10 days ?

Does anybody knows about this ?

any time/date/calendar setting that I had miss ?

Thanks,
Adjie in Jakarta
Alex Wong
User offline. Last seen 11 years 4 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: TILOS
When you display Summary bar have you check what options you had selected in your summary bar because you can display different dates under the summary bar. In addition have you had any filter runs in your summary bar because it will display differently when you apply a filter in your bar.
mohammad raghib
User offline. Last seen 18 years 29 weeks ago. Offline
YES , IM SURE AND ALL ACTIVITIES HAVE THE SAME CALENDER
IF INTERESTED I CAN EXPORT THE FILE TO YOUR E MAIL!
THANK U
MK TSE
User offline. Last seen 3 years 46 weeks ago. Offline
Are they in same calendar?
Forum Guest
User offline. Last seen 2 years 27 weeks ago. Offline
Are you sure!?