Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Filtering

15 replies [Last post]
Carlos Arana
User offline. Last seen 5 years 34 weeks ago. Offline
I want to filter all activities whose predeccessor/successor lag is different than 0. Using P3, is there a way to filter them? Or is there another way to see which relationships have lags?

Replies

Rafael Davila
User offline. Last seen 5 days 12 hours ago. Offline
Carlos

What Ferdinand proposes under posting no3 is a workable solution.

It will not provide you with a filter nor will identify driving relationships as if using SureTrak, but is another alternative. Generates a table with predecessor ID, successor ID, lag and relationship type, with no option to select other fields.

I tried it using dbase file format and opened the file using excel,it worked, lotus 123 format .wks did not worked for me.

I usually discard cumbersome solutions, for me linking Btireve to external database is cumbersome, the same with Infomaker.

Best regards,

Rafael

Carlos Arana
Thanks for all the advice, is appreciated.
Alexandre is right, the schedule is 746 activities long. The idea is not to search the lags one by one, but to filter them or other way report what relationships have lags different than zero. Adding activity codes for lags differing zero would be very time consuming, and since I’m human i could let some relationships out when making the revission. That’s why I asked for a way to make a "logical" filter rather than a "manual" one.

Mike, I started using Primavera P6 on February this year, migrated to P3 on May. I learned a little MS Project on my own before started working, my experience is correctly stated. I will post many threads and follow them since I have that little experiece and I’m wanting to learn.
harzelli bouasria
User offline. Last seen 4 years 28 weeks ago. Offline
3asalama Alexandre
as you know, we can add any activity codes we want.
about Arzew it’s all right, it’s so hot. last week i was in eljazair.
Fouad

harzelli bouasria
User offline. Last seen 4 years 28 weeks ago. Offline
Hi all
add a new Activity codes name it "LAG" with the value 0 for predecessor =0, and 1 for predecessor different to 0.
and filter with it.
good luck
Mike Testro
User offline. Last seen 6 weeks 4 days ago. Offline
Hi Carlos

You have the making of a good PP threadist.

Are you sure that you have stated your planning years correctly?

Best regards

Mike Testro
Rafael Davila
Carlos:

When I said "convert" I meant as if a change of religion, of course it does not make sense converting files, it should be a onetime operation if no other option. Keep within P3.

Also note that SureTrak can read native P3 files without the need of any conversion. Just open within SureTrak whatever you created under P3, read it, write your reports using your lag filters, do not manipulate it under Suretrak and that is it. If you manipulate or recompute the schedule under SureTrak with a schedule update under P3 without changing the Data Date you will be back to P3 calculations.

There are things Primavera SureTrak can do you can no longer do within P3. One of them is using Primavera Post Office to update your schedules via e-mail if using recent versions of Outlook. Try using Primavera Post Office from File/Send Mail, and see what happens, there is a partial fix, but if you want to use it the easy way then Suretrak for this purpose might help. The mail recipient does not need to have P3 installed but only Post Office.

Rafael

Carlos Arana
Thanks for the ideas. At the end the decision of me migrating to Any other software depends entirely on my boss, since he is who pays for the licenses. But, if I were to migrate from P3 to Sure Trak, then the next move would be to move from Sure Trak to Sheet&Pencil. My full migration history then would be something like:

MS Project --> Primavera P6 --> Primavera P3 --> Suretrak --> Sheet & Pencil --> Do NO project analysis. Instead, gather many musculous men and organize a witch hunt (With big forks and torches) to assault the Owner’s office, then capture him and accuse him of having threats with Satan to slow down the dam construction. Burn him after he repented all his sins, then continue the dam after having a high cleric of our favorite church make an exorcism to the mountain.

Then I would be famous as the Nomad Planner since all my life, I kept migrating.

Just kidding, I think I’m the first ever to migrate from P6 to P3, then why not having the title for migrating from P3 to Suretrak?
Rafael Davila
Carlos, I got the following ideas,

1.Use P3 reports, here you can create a successor and / or predecessor report but I could not see the required fields for the filter.

2.Create reports using Info maker. There you should be able to create similar reports to those available under P3 reports but with the filter fields not available under the P3 report generator. Here I would be of no help as a SureTrak user but other P3 users can help you.

3.Link P3 database to Access or Excel. Here as stated above I would be of no help.

4.Use SureTrak only for the purpose of generating the filter and logic reports you need. Set schedule calculations off and do not run within SureTrak any schedule updates as SureTrak dates will not be necessarily equal to P3 calculations. In every other aspect P3 has the edge over SureTrak. Here you can access directly P3 files without the need of import/export functions.

5.If you still have P6 maybe you can use P6 for the purpose of generating these reports, if here you can create the filter. Here you will have to make use of the import/export functions.

Good Luck,
Rafael

SureTrak as a report generator, why not? Maybe you will be the first P3 to SureTrak convert ever.

Carlos Arana
hmmm ... It looks like P3 does not include the "Relationship lag" filter option.

Any other idea?
Rafael Davila
Done

For a site where you can find several Primavera Updates and Downloads:

http://www.projectstatus.com/

For Primavera Online Interaction:

http://primavera.zxlm.cn/

For a Free P3 file comparison software:

http://www.htcprojectcontrols.com/Software.htm

For a Conversion Utility to convert P3>P6 and P6>P3 The conversion tool is designed to be used by a P3 user that has P3 already installed on the PC – The conversion tool converts P3 to XER and XER to P3, But, P3 must be installed on the PC (or have been installed at 1 time) for the tool to work.

http://primavera.zxlm.cn/kb/prim73486

For an utility to clean unused activity codes:

http://www.wirelessgravity.com/home/

For an article on how to Link P3 Database with Excel or Access:

http://www.primavera.com.au/Technical%20Papers/020820%20Link%20P3%20Database%20with%20Excel%20or%20Access.pdf

For a link to download Pervasive OBDC drivers for SureTrak and P3:

http://www.eh.com.au/pm_software.html

For a link to a software vendor with applications of interest for those using P3 and P6:

http://www.ronwinterconsulting.com/

Carlos Arana
Hahahha calmado Macho, estamos tomando tranquilos!

Rafael, I could not download your file from RS, could you send it to my e-mail?

camanarac@gmail.com

Thanks in advance.
Rafael Davila
Hey you, P3 Macho Man, now what? That you cannot easily see lag, that you cannot easily filter lag means your testosterone level is going down.

No wonder so much fuss about lag.

Carlos I refer to those who say their software and methods’ are the best and everyone else is wrong.

Best regards,
Rafael

PS. By the way happy father’s day to those of you celebrating this holiday tomorrow.

Ferdinand U.
User offline. Last seen 6 years 35 weeks ago. Offline
Hi

you can try exporting the successor in excel then filter that lag with value not equal to 0. then apply a code on it to be able to filter it in p3 after import.
Rafael Davila
I use Primavera Suretrak, a low end product intended for small to medium sized jobs with a limit of 10,000 activities and missing a few P3 options.

I can do a filter for the purpose of filtering activities with lag not equal to o or whatever other number, I can also print out on my layouts the lag values when organizing by predecessors/successors as easy as 123.

The following link will provide you a print screen showing the layout view and filter definition.

http://rapidshare.com/files/246697960/Lag_Filter.pdf

Being Suretrak a Primavera product I hope this can give you a clue until other P3 users come with the appropriate P3 solution. I am not as proficient with P3 as with Suretrak.