Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Resource Filtering

14 replies [Last post]
Dayanidhi Dhandapany
User offline. Last seen 3 years 5 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
What is the reason for not filtering the selected resource in Primavera project planner’s layout (v3.0 or v3.1)?. The selected resource(for example welder) is appearing with other resources assigned to some activities, why?.

Replies

Forum Guest
User offline. Last seen 2 years 29 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Daya,

If you just want to see the number of welders for a selected activities, there is a simple way. Here below are the steps:

1) While in P3 layout, click "View" from the menu
2) Then click "Resource Table"
3) A small window will appear to select the resource you want to show.
4) If there is an existing selection, click "Clear" and select "Welder" in the field "Low Value Resource"
5) Click "OK" to see the result at the bottom of the layout.

Be sure you have checked the contents of the "Display" button to get the desired results.

I hope this will help.
Zq qz
User offline. Last seen 12 years 16 weeks ago. Offline
Hello,
I think if your familiar with database i.e. MS access etc... you can do this by Export and Import method. By adding dummy activity code for the resource you want to filter and then process it from the database (i.e. Update query in MS access). I think this is the easiest way even you have million of activities.
Dayanidhi Dhandapany
Dear Eric,

Thanks for your explanation on database part. It is quiet difficult(tedious process) to introduce one resource per one activity since my program is having a minimum of 4000++ activities. I still feel Steve’s suggestion of filtering out resource is found to be simple and useful one.

Regards

Daya
Jorge Taguinod
User offline. Last seen 2 years 20 weeks ago. Offline
Eric,

Thank you for the enlightening discussion. I couldn’t have done it better myself. Well said.

Eric Chou
User offline. Last seen 41 weeks 6 days ago. Offline
Dear Daya,

When you perform filter for resources in P3, you have to think about database. P3 is actually a relational database program with a special function for scheduling. A database will involve the inter-relationship of different tables and can be parent-to-child (one-to-many) relationship. In P3, Activity table is a parent one, and Resource table is a child one.

If you specify "RES EQ welder", what it does is to tell P3 to "list me all the activities (parent) satisfying a condition that one of its resource (child) is equal to welder." Therefore, as long as the activity has one resource equals to welder will be selected.

On the other hand, if you specify "RES NR XXXX to YYYY", I guess you can only get handful activities which are almost to tell P3 to "list me all activities (parent) satisfying the condition that there isn’t any resource (child) equal to A or B or C or D, etc." I think this explain the puzzle for your example. This also explains what P3’s column of "Resource" on the layout listing all the resources for that activity since the layout ( and Filter too )is always from a view of Activity (parent) table. (There is an exception, see below)

However, in a real Database Management System (DBMS) such as Access, Visual Foxpro, xBase, etc. You can create a query and reverse the one-to-many relationship to get the list you want.
In P3, you can trigger this reverse relationship only when you organize the layout by "resource", then you will see the column of "resource" is no longer listing multiple ones. However, you will see the same activities with multiple resources to be listed multiple times under different groups, which can be very confused with a sound scheduling practice, e.g. each activity is accountable for only one responsible party. Maybe you need to create a separate activity for each resource. In that way, all your problems can be resolved.

Sorry, I have been writing too long. I can go on and on....
This is an interesting topic.

Eric Chou, PE
HTC Project Controls, Inc.
Zq qz
1st Method:

1. Make Back-up /copy schedule.

2. Go to DATA >>> RESOURCES>> then delete all resources you don’t want to include, then organize and filter……….

2nd Method:

1.Add costum data item
Name Type Length Description
e.g. RESF C 10 Resource Filter

2. Go to tools Global Change ( do this)
If: RES EQ XXXX .etc…
Then: RESF EQ YYYY

3.Add costum data item
Name Type Length Description
e.g. RSOU C 10 Dummy Resourse

4. Go to tools Global Change ( do this)
If: RESF EQ YYYY
Then: RSOU EQ XXXX

5.Then filter RSOU..........

Dayanidhi Dhandapany
[Deleted - duplicate posting]
Dayanidhi Dhandapany
Dear Steve,

Ok, this sounds good at this moment to choose other resource activities to make their row height as zero. If it is the case then i can insert Page Break to print only the required WELDER resource.

Thanks for your help.

Regards

Daya
Steven Oliver
User offline. Last seen 11 years 23 weeks ago. Offline
Best I could come up with is to group by resource, the reduce the row height of the steel fixer/labourer activities to 0 (use the double arrow over the activity ID, not the menu option).

You still get the resource title as a group, but no activity detail.
Dayanidhi Dhandapany
Dear MKTSE/Moises,

Your logic will work only if the activity is containing welder resource, then we can use "Not in Range" or "Not Equal to" condition to filter out other activities which do not have welder resource.

I think something strange in P3, for example

Activity A - Steel Fixer, Welder, General Labour
Activity B - Welder
Activity C - General Labour

if you try to use the following in the filter, will not work certainly.

Res EQ Welder
Res NR XXXX to YYYYY

In the P3 Layout, it will display only Welder pertaining to Activity B only. But it is not displaying the welder who actually works for Activity A also. Do you appreciate the strange thing in P3 Database????. Please tell me how to overcome this trouble!!!.

Regards

Daya

Zq qz
Try this.. First Organized by resource then do filtering.
eg.. Res EQ Welder
Res NR XXXX to YYYYY

MK TSE
User offline. Last seen 3 years 47 weeks ago. Offline
Daya,
Remove the Group by Resources will help. Once you run the filter, all activities with WELDER as resouce assigned will filter out.
If you just want activities with WELDER is the only resource, then your filter need exclude other resources.
Dayanidhi Dhandapany
when i use Resource EQ WELDER in the selection criteria from a filter specification and Group by Resource in the organize dialogue box, the layout suppose to display only the WELDER working for all activities. Instead it is displaying the associated resources for all activities along with WELDER resource. What i want to display on the layout is only WELDER resource.
Forum Guest
User offline. Last seen 2 years 29 weeks ago. Offline
You are selecting Activities that match your criteria, i.e., activity resource = welder, not the Resources that match your criteria. Group by Resource (maybe with a page break) to get proper totals.