Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

negative milestone

6 replies [Last post]
moutaz aldeib
User offline. Last seen 2 years 27 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Dear Planners,

I have start milestone which has total float equal zero, next month no progress, consequently the completion date is shifted "delay" but the total float for the milestone is still zero (I thought it will be negative).
Is this logic?

Thanks

Replies

Marcio Sampaio
User offline. Last seen 11 years 34 weeks ago. Offline
Total float is calculated from the end to begin of project. It means that if it delay 1 day, the project will delay 1 day. That is why it is still zero.

Regards.
Santhosh kumar Na...
User offline. Last seen 6 years 18 weeks ago. Offline
I agree wirh brennan!! better u find a job!!..

The reason being the predecessor not finihsed as per planned and pushed the successor activity one month(in ur monthly update) and consumes the float.. simple my dear!! plz study closly the links !!

Thanks
Brennan Westworth
User offline. Last seen 6 years 51 weeks ago. Offline
Its difficult to answer without knowing the details of your schedule.

I assume it is the same schedule with a floating end date (ie not late constrained), I also assume that some progress was made on your critical path during the month. (if not then best to look for another job ;))

therefore the amount of progress made on your critical path will be equal to the reduction in float on the non critical activity you mentioned.
moutaz aldeib
User offline. Last seen 2 years 27 weeks ago. Offline
Thanks Brennan, but why for activity has positive total float, and no progress occurs, the total float decreases by approximately one month (updated monthly).

Regards,

Moutaz
Brennan Westworth
User offline. Last seen 6 years 51 weeks ago. Offline
The milestone is still on the critical path because its float equals zero, or its early finish is the same as its late finish.

Negative float occurs when your early finish is after your late finish. To fix the project end date and display variance in terms of float (negative float for over schedule) then apply a late finish constraint to your last activity.
Edgar Ariete
User offline. Last seen 5 years 30 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Moutaz,

you can ask Atef..

cheers