Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

P3 working with a Dell Data Show projector -- Crashed?

13 replies [Last post]
Tim Readman
User offline. Last seen 12 weeks 6 days ago. Offline
Hi there planners,

I have not been able to solve this problem with primavera IT support but they have been very keen to help. Maybe someone has had the same problem and with another type of datahshow projector.

I have a Dell latitutde laptop and a 2300mp projector which i use for teaching Suretrak. I have the project up on the screen and it works fine showing all the features. I then went to show the same project in P3 and after opening the software error message "integer divide by zero" occured and froze the laptop and i had to reboot. The P3/Suretrak project was corrupted and I had to use File fix etc.

i have had numerous ideas to fix the problem and suggestions from P3 IT but with no success but i beleive it must be something to do with the fact that P3 is 16 bit application.

Anyone got any ideas??

Tim Readman

Replies

mileer hit1
User offline. Last seen 11 years 17 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

I have control now to solve the trouble of utilizing the Dell data illustrate with p3 by using a different laptop (an LG 2500). I utilized the similar task with the same projector but a different laptop. http://www.carlinhall.co.uk/

Philip Jonker
User offline. Last seen 15 years 17 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Tim,

Great reply, but for the others, just try PDF files
Tim Readman
Dear Planners,

I have managed now to solve the problem of using the Dell data show with p3 by using a different laptop (an LG 2500). I used the same project with the same projector but a different laptop. It worked, why? I have no idea, perhaps different drivers working with P3. I have had also some IT help from the primavera guys in HK to solve the Dell laptop to Dell projector and still working on that path, as a problem with swapping over computers each time I need to demonstrate the benefits of P3 over Suretrak.

In regards the bigger question with Primavera working for single projects in P3, I guess that Primavera have decided to go the P3ec route and we (company planners and management) have to make the decision to go that way with the full system and not a p3ec/Contractor path, or we look elsewhere for software needs. Primavera will not update P3 to suit project managers/ planners on single projects when the new platforms come through.

Rafael, I had realised the other limitation on resource levelling when working with contractor which is omission. Yes resource levelling is a key requirement when claiming EOT or just managing the project effectively.

Regards

Tim Readman
Philip Jonker
Hi guys, we agree, how do we sort out the problem?
Rafael Davila
User offline. Last seen 15 hours 41 min ago. Offline
-Separate Construction Contracts require separate resource pools as resources cannot be shared. You cannot tie different jobs and claim for "shared delays", that is enterprise stuff is not allowed by contract.
-Of course you need to consider your limited resource pool per project. No job is done without resources, usually limited and many times driving the schedule.
-Contractor does not provides for resurce leveling in addition to its limitation in the number of activities.
-In over 95% of our jobs we can live with the limitation on the number of activities, at the risk of falling short latter in just a few, but a risk we won’t take.
-We cannot live without resource leveling, though we can live without resource smoothing.
-Other software have died, Primavera will die...... sooner than latter.
Tim Readman
Dear Philip,

You are right that there should have been consideration for the users but primavera wanted to increase market share in the global sense. We in many construction projects do not need the all the feature in P3ec but an excellent too to give a clear picture to our teams of where they are, direction to go forward, options, oppotunities and goals against sveral baselines. Firstly you need to be a good planner and communicator, and then to have the software tools to show that plan to others. p3ec does some of this but a high cost to implement to replace p3 and suretrak users. p3ec works better with MS projects than even with suretrak.

The contractor option with its restriction of 750 activites is just not acceptable.

oh well we shal have to suffer until p3 dies because of the platform and then change to another software.. other planning softwares have died.

Tim
Philip Jonker
Hi Guys,

My problem is that Primera is not realising where their market lies, ie everybody is happy with P3 without bugs, and it can do the day to day planning job. However, instead of going the upgrading route, they are wasting their time with products like P3e/c, both of which are disasters, and now they are getting rid of the e and ec and supposedly upgrading to P$ and P5, and selling us a heap of manure. I hope somebody from Primevera is listening, or reading this, and hopefully will react at some time to tell us what is happening. The answer at the end of the day is customer satisfaction. They, Primera seem to think they are isolated from their customers, and the customers will accept anything they offer, it is time for them to have a marketing re-think, and do some customer surveys. They can develop, whatever they want to, but if I am still happy with P3 and the new things are a waste of time, I would not be interested. The answers lie with the users, and in this case, they should be the first one’s to assist with this problem. It is probably just a driver for the Dell screen that is required, but, I have had this in the past with other hardware.

Regards all

Tim Readman
Dear planners,
There are many planners working with p3 looking at the move to p3e and just because the windows platform is the main reason the change is not justfied. It has to mean a better return on the investment to the business. I have moved to p3e with one company and now back to p3/suretrak situation with another. You cannot run a business with both softwares.

In the meantime i have to use the proejctor with P3 and the best solution I have had and to try out is to use a different laptop, which may have different drivers which do not conflict with p3.

Regards

Tim
Rafael Davila
User offline. Last seen 15 hours 41 min ago. Offline
P3 most probably will be incompatible with the new operating system "Vista" to be released next year. By next year new computers with this operating system will have problems with P3. It is time to give up and look for alternatives outside Primavera.
P3e is a disaster, not only beacause of the hundreds of bugs but because of the interface, because of the difficulties with its Database handling.
Enterprise stuff is a nuisance when not needed as when jobs do not share resources = 99% of construction jobs.

Keep it Simple S....
Philip Jonker
Hi Tim,

The answer is simple, get Primavera, to use theit resources to get P3 updated to do the right things, like moving from 16 bit to 32 or the latest, instead of re-inventing the wheel with products like P3e,etc, and rather sell maintenace packages than trying to bull us with the so-called new programs.
Tim Readman
Dear Planners,

I have version 3.1 with services pack 3 and ah yes those were the days back in 98 in 16 bit when P3 worked like a dream. Now we have XP and p3 is still working as it does but it has these problems. I will have a go with Raja izat Raja Ibrahim suggestions.

Regards

Tim
Ronald Winter
User offline. Last seen 3 years 2 weeks ago. Offline
Tim,

This type of thing is very common for P3 users not running P3 Version 3.1, Service Pack 2 on an XP OS (actually, they are up to Service pack 3.) You need to get the upgrade (or go back to WIN98.) Good luck!
Raja Izat Raja Ib...
User offline. Last seen 12 years 44 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Tim,
I’am not IT guy, but before this I have the same problem like u have now, what i do....i try an error by reinstall P3 again...then i open p3 active..Close other active software ....then update by microsoft windows update from internet...just give a try. The result until now my P3 didnt have a problem such as that.
Cheers...