Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Crash program in P3

10 replies [Last post]
Vanessa Morris
User offline. Last seen 18 years 30 weeks ago. Offline
This is my first experience as project planner and need to develop a crash program for a plan shcedule to finish by the end of August. I have my current schedule and my target. Any ideas on where to start from???

Replies

felipe rodriguez
User offline. Last seen 18 years 33 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Hi Vanessa, see the crash program as a new schedule. Take a look at the critical path (activities with Total Float = 0). Any modification on this will have an impact on your end date. Bye.
Sunil Kumar
User offline. Last seen 8 years 3 weeks ago. Offline
Yes, the new programme will be your Target programme subject to approval of the Client Engineer.

All the best

Sunil
Vanessa Morris
Thank you to all the people that answered my questions. Your wise answers have been very helpful. I think you call this a Recovery Plan (Crash Program/Programme where you have to accelerate activities in order to meet contractual end dates). Now, you do all this on the current schedule. Does this become a new target? Thank you in advance.
Sukumaran Subaram...
User offline. Last seen 8 years 40 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: GPC Malaysia
Arrange a meeting with the engineers. Discuss and get the feedback on possibility of increasing the manpower, working extra hours, material availablity at site, working space and etc.

Based on the information work out the new productivity rates and revised the schedule. Once completed brief your boss and the engineers what are the constraints you have applied in order to complete the work on time. Eg:

1) start some of the activity concurrently with additional manpower.
2) apply milestones when the material needed at site to start the work.
3) if working space is limited then you can look into the possibility of 2 shifts.
4) etc.

Regards.
Vanessa Morris
Maybe I was not clear on my first message. The project is scheduled to finish by the end of August as per contract, but if things go on like they’re going now we would finish by Sept (or October). So, my boss requested me to accelerate some activities in the schedule in order to finish by the end of August (maybe put another shift, work on weekends, increase manpower, etc.)
Khaled Bashiti
User offline. Last seen 7 years 28 weeks ago. Offline
Sorry, No Offense it was Sunil.

also without any misunderstanding i think lets be helpful for each other, thats y this forum is for.

regards,
Khaled Bashiti
User offline. Last seen 7 years 28 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Vanessa,

explain what do u mean first experience, because it seems that yr words triggered someone up.

i think vasmi answer might be helpful, if u want to keep yr program but othrwise u have to sit down with yr construction manager to draw up how yr works & crews & material & Equipment & Tools will move at yr site.

regards,
Bill Guthrie
User offline. Last seen 7 years 50 weeks ago. Offline
Suggest you hire a qualified planning engineer to set it up for you.

Actual work is no place for a student unless you have a qualified instructor teaching you.

real world.
cheers bill
Sunil Kumar
User offline. Last seen 8 years 3 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Vannessa,

I presume what you are saying is like a recovery programme. Filter all 100% completed activities that gives you balance activities with 0 to 99%. Agree on some mile stones and logics with the execution team and rework your programme on the RD and sequencing to get your new programme.

Trust this would be of help

Sunil
Shahzad Munawar
User offline. Last seen 8 years 51 weeks ago. Offline
VVanesa

Since you are at initial stage so in this situation better to coordinate with experienced engineers in your Company who will definitely assist you in this case as mostly planners said in this Forum.

For crash programmes, you have to firstly seek your

a) current resources and their productivity outputs

b) Material sources and their availability

then accordingly you can deploy either increase or decrease these resources (equipment and manpower) as per your limited time frame for this cash programme

I hope this will helpful in establishing your crash programme.