Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Crashing the schedule

7 replies [Last post]
lot villaflor
User offline. Last seen 14 years 12 weeks ago. Offline
"To get the project back on schedule, a planner should condider crashing the schedule"

What do we mean by "crashing the schedule"??
How do we ’crash’ the schedule??

will someone pls explain??

Replies

Trevor Rabey
User offline. Last seen 1 year 21 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
This is good:

http://pmbook.ce.cmu.edu/11_Advanced_Scheduling_Techniques.html#11.4%20C...

Over in the share trading forums they have an acronym "DYOR" which means "do your own research".
Trevor Rabey
User offline. Last seen 1 year 21 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
lot, I’m with Mike on this one. I find the term ambiguous.
I know it is a darling topic of PMI and all the text books.
And, there are lots of definitions on-line, such as this one which is not perfect:

http://articles.techrepublic.com.com/5100-10878_11-5034312.html

(Stephen Devaux has a much more elegant approach)

Crashing could be something as general as "exercising various options, from all of those available, in order to shift the scope/cost/time balance in some desired direction and achieve some desired outcome". But this is just the normal, continuous planning and optimisation, tracking and updating etc that the planner does anyway. He doesn’t wake up one morning and suddenly decide to "crash the schedule".

Crashing could be something as specific as "use more bricklayers to lay bricks faster", but can be a lot of different things and required for different reasons, as Mike says.
Samer Zawaydeh
User offline. Last seen 5 years 7 weeks ago. Offline
Dear Mike,

Thank you for your kind words. People here are looking for solutions, and we can provide that by better understanding the origin of the question. Sometimes, the question is not formed correctly. I sincerely believe that if a person is positive then they can become part of the solution.

One of the key strategies that a Contractor is following on a project currently running is not to say any negative word to anyone. This is a fast and critical project in a congested area. The reason behind this approach is the experience of their seniors. They gave instructions to their Engineers and supervisors to receive all comments and people with positive feedback. This breaks the tension and the ice in most situations and gives the Contractor information that can be analyzed and use. If they block the person, then that person will become angry and the information is not delivered and he/she becomes angry.

Dear Lot,

If you are looking towards taking the PMP exam, then one of the studying aids is to buy the Practice Questions books and practice. In addition to reading the PMBOK 4e few times. Good luck.

With kind regards,

Samer
lot villaflor
User offline. Last seen 14 years 12 weeks ago. Offline
Dear Mike,

I just read it from a website offering reviews for PMP Certification Examination. Im just curious.
Thanks for immediate reply.

Dear Samer,

Thank you for your concern.
Mike Testro
User offline. Last seen 4 weeks 6 days ago. Offline
Hi Samer

I really do respect your kind and gentle approach to new planners with very basic queries.

Perhaps I am getting too old and crotchety to be bothered any more.

Best regards

Mike Testro
Samer Zawaydeh
User offline. Last seen 5 years 7 weeks ago. Offline
Dear Lot,

Please let us know what kind of project your are working on and a small description of the problem that you are facing and we can provide you with few corrective actions.

With kind regards,

Samer
Mike Testro
User offline. Last seen 4 weeks 6 days ago. Offline
Hi Lot

I don’t know where you got this quote from but it is not good advice.

Crashing is another term for acceleration which requires
1. Changes in logic
2. Increased resource levels
3. Increased work hours

All of which will cost money and should not be undertaken without a thorough investigation.

If your programme does not reflect what is actually happening on site and things are taking longer than planned there could be a number of causes.

1. The programme was wrong in the fisrt place.
2. Unforeseen events have caused delays.
3. Management are not following the programme.
4. Any combination of the above.

Before you start re-drafting the programme you need to know what is causing the problem and then act accordingly.

Best regards

Mike Testro