Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Please explain earned and actual hours

2 replies [Last post]
Sputnik Kaleie
User offline. Last seen 11 hours 16 min ago. Offline
Groups: None

Hi,

I'm new withing planning, and I can't seem to figure out what the differences between planning qty, earned qty and actual qty is.

Example:

Current Budget for welding is 20 760 hours

Plan Qty = 1 810

Earn Qty = 504

Exp Qty = 1696

And planned man power is 48, while actual man power was 45.

Can someone please explain to me or give an example of what planned, earned and exp qty is? And what the differences are?

Replies

Joselito Santillan
User offline. Last seen 1 day 22 hours ago. Offline

Planned Qty = 1,810

Planned MP = 48

Actual MP = 45

Exp Qty = 1696

If 48 can do 1,810, 45 is expected to do 1696. But you only achieved 504. What factor/s have affected your productivity?

Patrick Weaver
User offline. Last seen 11 hours 48 min ago. Offline
Groups: None

These consepts are derived from Earned Value Management:

Planned quantity = the amount of the budgeted work planned to be completed in a period, or to date.

Earned quantity = the amount of the budgeted work actually achieved in a period or to date (measured using the same basis as the budget). In your example ony 28% of the planned work was achieved.

Actual quantity = the number of welding hours actually booked against the job in the same period or to date..... This activity is a total mess!!  

For more on this and some free resources see: https://mosaicprojects.com.au/PMKI-SCH-040.php#Overview