Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Import Actual Hours in P3

3 replies [Last post]
steve willis
User offline. Last seen 17 years 27 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Hello
Any help please.
i have created a export file in project utilities consisting of Act id and earned value quanity.i have then opened it up as a excel document and changed the earned value exported to actual hours worked and imported it expecting it to overide the data in P3 and display a variance and nothing changes please help.(i know i can overwrite the data in P3 manually but this is a long process any ideas will be appreciated

regards

steve

Replies

Philip Jonker
User offline. Last seen 15 years 20 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Steve,

The answer is simple, when you export, use the DBF format ( Database files) for your files, Excel has no problem in openining them. Make sure you choose the right fields. The ID field (ACT) is always important, and I always make sure I export the descriptions as well ( you can delete them before importing), but it helps in doing a random check.

The reason I use DBF is that P3 is more user friendly to DBF files as the program has a database driver. Howevever, if you make major changes to DBF files in EXCEL, open a new spreadsheet, and make sure it has only one page, then copy the data to this spreadsheet, and save it as a .DBF file.

Make sure you do not try and import fields that contain unwanted info, so it is important to understand what fields contain what, by their abreviated names. I suggest the ’HELP" files as they give the various fields names.

Hope this is of assistance.

Regards

Philip
Paul Harris
User offline. Last seen 1 year 3 weeks ago. Offline
You will need toad the Resource ID to update resources.

When you have multiple resources per activity you will export a line per resource, thus producing a unique identifier for each resource.

Paul E Harris
Eastwood Harris Pty Ltd, Melbourne, Australia
Planning and Scheduling Book Publishers, Training & Consulting
www.eh.com.au
Steven Oliver
User offline. Last seen 11 years 21 weeks ago. Offline
That data is held not at activity level, but at resource level. You would need to export/import resource-wise.

HTH