Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

I don't understand this Dilbert Cartoon - please explain

11 replies [Last post]
John Reeves
User offline. Last seen 1 day 12 hours ago. Offline
Groups: None

I don’t understand this Dilbert cartoon please explain.

(And yes I could have put it in a different section than P6, but I am putting it here in protest of the hassles created by connecting two activities with different calendars.  They need need a sponge activity between them to fix the "time of day" ripple hassles.)

worker “And we finished ahead of schedule”
Dilbert: “Question”
Dilbert: “Are you referring to the original schedule or the Eight Revision?
worker: “Schedules can change”
Dilbert: “That would be called a “Calendar”.

Replies

Zoltan Palffy
User offline. Last seen 3 weeks 3 days ago. Offline

its is much hareder to hit a moving target 

Renee Teng
User offline. Last seen 3 years 20 weeks ago. Offline

If you constantly change your schedule, that doesn't mean anything at all. It simply lists what you do daily, so it is more like a calendar.

This is what I got from the conversation.

Alex Lyaschenko
User offline. Last seen 4 weeks 3 days ago. Offline

I am actually using this Dilbert cartoon in my 1st slide when implement a schedule maturity assessment for my clients with a question “Do we actually need a schedule”?

1. Many PMs can't understand why they need to a plan for their project if it likely to change anyway. Often they are process (not result) oriented and believes that good process will lead the best result.  

2. Many organisations have strong project governance control and lower level of project performance. Typically, they play “PCR (Project Change Control)” game. In these organisations in 95% cases standart way to recover projects from red/amber status is to raise PCR and rebaseline schedule.

Rafael Davila
User offline. Last seen 9 hours 17 min ago. Offline

Regarding Construction Projects :

• Change Order Causation; Who is the Guilty Party?
  • Of the changes included in the study a review of the project record data showed more than 52% were caused by plans and/or specification errors and omissions, 32% were owner directed changes, and 9% resulted from unforeseen/existing conditions. The occurrences of the remaining causations sharply drop off in the order of value engineering, acceleration/delay, and force majeure (see table 1).
  • Dilbert cartoon just mocks the delay and does not provide any practical advise, he is a looser.
John Reeves

Yes perhaps - could have had many scope changes alspo, but are they saying a schedule just becomes a "to do" calendar when you change the dates enough. Its all pretty silly.  - Rafael was so patient and polite in explaining I should have posted this in a more appropriate section - the Trivia section, that I will like continue this there at some point.

Santosh Bhat
User offline. Last seen 1 year 2 weeks ago. Offline

John, its obvious, Re-baselining to hide poor performance. 

Rafael Davila

To embed images into Planning Planet Forums:

a) Upload Image to Postimage (free) or any other image hosting service.

• You might use Foxit Phantom PDF to "print" Spider reports into PDF and then convert PDF to JPEG at 300 dpi using Online PDF to JPG Converter this can give you high quality images for large format pages.
  • I frequently use Tabloid page size for Gantt.
  • Click next link to see an example (zoom for a better view)  https://postimg.cc/94JLvtsd .
  • You might capture screen images using Snagit and save into image files.
  • You might crop image files by right click file and selecting Edit with Photos before uploading.

b) After uploading get PP Forum compatible codes - those that use the > and < characters.

c) I frequently use “Thumbnail for website” when images are large.
d) In your post mark with XXXXX or any marker easy to find into the desired target location.
e) Disable rich text by clicking lower left banner.
f) Paste code where your marker XXXXX is.
g) Enable rich text.
h) Done.

I got it about the comic strip, known for its satirical office humor featuring engineer Dilbert as the title character.  Maybe your people are not interested, it is not necessarily they are not capable to understand.  I would not blame them, not everyone is hooked on sarcastic strips.  I  would never pay to post the strip image and rather post the hyperlink for free. 

By the way this forum is for Planning, Scheduling and Programming Discussion, here trivia is a distraction.  For P6 there is Oracle Primavera PM-6.  For trivia there is the Trivia & Non Planning Discussion, here trivia is welcomed as well as your interpretation.

Trivia

Best Regards,

Rafael

John Reeves

Here is a link

https://dilbert.com/search_results?terms=%22called+a+calendar%22

Rafeal - how did you post that graphic - this sais that I posted the cartoon but it does not show up.  ...You guys are the kings, true assets to the scheduling world.  2696 and 4865 posts respectively. BUT you guys are both way off on this one.  DILBERT IS A HUMOR CARTOON in the US.  I paid the Dilbert site to post this for you.  I respect IP rights but I think i could have posted this under the "review" and "parody" aspects.  I put this in the P6 section because that is the only section I look at, I assume others also.  Now I am worried about "my people" to understand a Dilbert (parody aspect)- I think the AEC world has beaten the humor out of you.  I did have a slight typo that made it harder to understand - but this was not a question that would warrent a technical answer - more philosophical answer.  And to be safe I paid for this cartoon for this use.  I think the attempt at humor comes from the angle that after you have changed your schedule 8 times, lets say in a month, than your not really "scheduling" anything anymore but picking dates from a calendar when things might happen.  

John Reeves

You guys are the kings, true assets to the scheduling world.  2696 and 4865 posts respectively. BUT you guys are both way off on this one.  DILBERT IS A HUMOR CARTOON in the US.  I paid the Dilbert site to post this for you.  I respect IP rights but I think i could have posted this under the "review" and "parody" aspects.  I put this in the P6 section because that is the only section I look at, I assume others also.  Now I am worried about "my people" to understand a Dilbert (parody aspect)- I think the AEC world has beaten the humor out of you.  I did have a slight typo that made it harder to understand - but this was not a question that would warrent a technical answer - more philosophical answer.  And to be safe I paid for this cartoon for this use.  I think the attempt at humor comes from the angle that after you have changed your schedule 8 times, lets say in a month, than your not really "scheduling" anything anymore but picking dates from a calendar when things might happen.  

Zoltan Palffy
User offline. Last seen 3 weeks 3 days ago. Offline

you can change a calendar and work 7 days a week instead of 5 and recover time. 

Rafael Davila
  • This is a different section than P6 where your protest shall also be posted.
  • Please be reminded that not all software have such calendar issues.
  • Some schedulers do not understand that multiple calendars can make the critical path to be broken into several non-contiguous segments and tweak the schedule to force the critical path to be contiguous.  This is float sequestration, it is not good practice and is prohibited by most scheduling specifications.
  • Multiple-Calendars02
  • The “Longest Path” algorithm is widely believed to reliably identify the critical path for schedules with multiple calendars.  However available literature on the WEB claim P6 does not always correctly identify “Float” or the “Longest Path”.  Oracle acknowledges “P6 Longest Path” is broken when activities are no longer driven by relationships; that is, when activity dates are driven by constraints or resource leveling.