Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Materials for WBS meeting

2 replies [Last post]
James Barnes
User offline. Last seen 1 year 4 weeks ago. Offline

Good morning

I am planning a meeting to build the WBS for a job I am working on. I have high level nodes and deliverables defined and the meeting is to decompose these down to the deepest level. I plan to do this on a wall with post-IT notes ... so here's my question;

does anyone know where I can buy preprinted Post-ITs with the relevant (or close to relevant) boxes on?

I'm thinking something like the following;

• Index
  • Phase
  • Activity description
  • Deliverable
  • Target start
  • Target finish
  • WBS path

I can get these made at a custom printer but ofc that is pricey. does anyone know of an off the shelf available alternative? of course it won't be 100% what I want but so long as it contains the hignlights it will structure the input from the team

many thanks

James Barnes

Replies

James Barnes
User offline. Last seen 1 year 4 weeks ago. Offline

Tom,

I have considered this (and done it this way myself) but in this case it's going to be big and people will need to work on different parts at the same time. I have a team of schedulers so I suppose I could set up multiple stations.... the heat generated by all those projectors could be an issue though!

as for post-its not sticking well, I have not had this problem in the past but can see that it could be an issue, I will think on it

Tom Reichner
User offline. Last seen 5 years 18 weeks ago. Offline

James,

Rather than use Post-It notes and have to transfer the results to your WBS in a scheduling program, why not build the WBS directly in the scheduling program projected on the wall or a projector screen? The whole team can comment as each sub-node is debated and added, and the completed WBS can be saved as a WBS layout and an alternate What-if WBS can be copied and modified as needed.

I've been in this situation and found myself running out of wall space where a long and complex WBS was being built. Post-It notes are too small to read in a large room full of people, and don't always stick well after being removed and shifted to another location. Much easier to use the electronic devices we have at our disposal these days.

Good luck.

Tom Reichner