Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

WBS Orig. Budget Vs. WBS Activities Roll-up Sum. Budget

13 replies [Last post]
Steve Ogrady
User offline. Last seen 11 years 9 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
I currently have a schedule that is resource loaded. I have entered the ‘Original Budget’ into to each and every WBS (which mimics the pay items on the contractor’s submitted invoice). I have also resource loaded each and every activity (budgeted units/cost etc ;).
I am wondering how this are related from a cost point of view. I thought the budgeted cost for each WBS should equal the summary roll-up cost for activities under that specific WBS. This does not appear to be the case (maybe I am not showing the correct Columns?)
Example
1.0 WBS $500,000
1.01 Act 1 250,000
1.02 Act 2 100,000
1.03 Act 3 650,000

Any assistance is much appreciated.

Thanks

Replies

Dieter Wambach
User offline. Last seen 6 years 48 weeks ago. Offline
Nastor
View Activities, Assignments, WBS, Project: The table area (upper left part); View Tracking the spreadsheet area
Windows standard: Ctrl+A --> Ctrl+C --> Open Excel --> Ctrl+V .
By report: Create a report with the desired data --> Output select "ASCII". As field delimiter in most of the cases ";" (depends on Windows installation, sometimes ",") --> output-file with extension "csv" and select "View file when done". Then Excel wil start automatically with that file. Do not forget to save this report.

Good luck!
Dieter
Nestor Principe
User offline. Last seen 12 years 42 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Dieter,

To excel by report, I still to look at this option which I thought cannot be done in P6.

Many thanks again.

Cheers,
Nestor
Dieter Wambach
Steve
On the Primavera CD’s you can find a demo database with many good examples. In addition its a good basis for testing P6-"behaviour" under certain conditions.

Your activities (I’ll restrict on usage of P6):
Check under view "Activities" the entries under tab "General" - duration type, %-complete type, activity type (--> task or resource calendar to be used), calendar. Those you shouldn’t modify after an activity was started.
Resource assignments: Do curves really give a better result which is worth the more efforts? Then use them. Spending for resources: price per hour or total price for an assignment.
Other expenses: Use Tab expenses.
Codes: Check for the required reporting - information needed by all stakeholders which will lead you to required classifications of activities and assignments and by this to the required codes.
.... (consider if you’ll require a training)
Some help functions: "Hint Help" (under View), F1 for function-related help, schedule log-file, layouts, ....
Ask, ask, ask... Let experienced planners have a look at your schedule, ask them for comments.
Lead engineers are good sources for durations and sequences. Use all information you can get on this project.
Many good pages exist on our profession, e.g. http://www.aacei.org/ with good brochures and definitions on terms.
Most important: senior colleagues.

Good luck for you start!

Dieter
Steve Ogrady
Dieter,

I have all the resources input into the schedule for each activity. Can you give me some tips on what I should do next? i.e. Assigning spending curves (and how?) to each resource (labour, equipment, materials, subcontractors) etc;. This project is the construction of a transmission pipeline (not sure if that matters)

Also, any advice when it comes to tracking planned versus actual vs forecasts (est. to complete/bud at complete) and all the other data that can be extracted which will bring value to the table when tracking this contract. (i.e. more specifically how should I set-up the preferences/settings in P6)in order to make the most of the analysis features within the software.

I am very new at this software, but have learned a great deal from you thus far, I am truly grateful.

Thanks,

Steve
Dieter Wambach
Nestor
We do the same. Data to Excel (by report or copy/paste); printout in Excel.

Good luck
Dieter
Nestor Principe
Hi Dieter..

Thanks for the advise, I’ll check the documentation cd.

What I like is I can copy and paste from the spread sheet to excel. I do all my curves in excel.

Good luck to me.

Cheers,
Nestor
Dieter Wambach
Nestor
Doubts was related to too much micromanagement, too much into detail.
Do you know the file "from P3 to P6 on your documentation cd? It’s excellent.
Project cost control is much more advanced in P6 with one exeption that I know. If you are using cost curves for non-resource cost, replace them by even distribution. P6 doesn’t know them and will stop the import.

Good luck!
Dieter
Nestor Principe
Hello Dieter,

Am currently converting my programmes from P3 to P6.1. I’m an expert in P3 and starting to learn P6.1 on my own. I’m under pressure now to confirm to our PM what we can do in P6.1 especially project cost control.

Can you further elaborate;

"If you’ll need it for all levels of wbs, I have some doubts,". Anything that will not work?

Currently am exploring and testing different functions to gain confidence before I delete P3 from my computer.

Cheers,
Nestor
Dieter Wambach
Steve

It depends on your way to do planning. If you’ll do cost control as well, it will be very helpful to enter a project’s budget and then compare with your planning. P6 has the advantage that management easily can compare if plan=budget for all projects of a department or a complete business unit. If you’ll need it for all levels of the wbs, I have some doubts, but for the second, it’s ok - first level is the project itself.
Increase or decrease of budget you can trace as well.

Regards
Dieter
Izam Zakaria
User offline. Last seen 7 years 16 weeks ago. Offline
It should be same....no matter which version it is...the software just only tools.
Steve Ogrady
I am using P6.
Steve Ogrady
Thank you so much.

Just to be clear: I understand now that the bottom up (assigning cost to resources) = Top down (Assigning cost to WBS) - in my case.

Do OR should I need to do both? If so, how will this benifit me?

Thanks again.
Dieter Wambach
Steve
This will vary for the different software. You’ll better inform which you are using.
For Primavera (P3e, P5, P6) it would be a misunderstanding of this function.
1. Top-down: You enter a project’s budget given by management or customer, spread it for its wbs if you like or must.
2. Bottom-up: Plan your project, assign resources - with their prices - and expenses to activities.
3. Compare both:
Top-down > Bottom-up: Still money to spend (or costs to plan by resource assignments or expenses).
Top-down < Bottom-up: Bad boy! You’ll have to reduce assignments until Top-down = Bottom-up, or ask for more budget.

Hope this will help
Dieter