Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Scheduling of indirect time based activities within a deliverable based schedule

5 replies [Last post]
Gerhard Botes
User offline. Last seen 8 years 2 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Morning Fellow Planners,

Please share your thoughts on the above topic. I am currently in a position where new management wants to dictate the way the schedule is developed and presented to the client. My issue is that they want to introduce indirect (single line item) time based activities from the start to the finish date of the project. This includes all project support functions such as Cost Control, Planning, Document Control, Project Management, etc. The result of this is that it will reflect on the critical path and carries no value or focus on the real deliverable based activities.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Thanks

Replies

This LOE activity is modelled as hammock and do not change Critical Path.

I don't see any problems if the project will include hammock activity that lasts from project start to project finish.

More than that - it is necessary to estimate cost increase if project finish will be delayed or savings with acceleration that may justify management decisions.

Mike Testro
User offline. Last seen 4 weeks 6 days ago. Offline

Hi Gerhard

That sounds like creating a "Total Summary" over all the project and then allocating all the controls to that.

It is like a bartender taking 20 orders for different cocktails - mixing all the ingredients into a bucket and asking the drinkers to dip there glasses where they chose.

Best regards

Mike Testro

Stephen Devaux
User offline. Last seen 17 weeks 4 days ago. Offline

Hi, Gerhard.

Such support tasks as you seem to be referring to are often called "level of effort" or LOE activities: updating the schedule, filing weekly reports, oiling the machinery weekly, cutting paychecks, etc. The argument of including them in the project plan is that they add to costand must be preformed. However, they should NEVER be on the critical path and have drag, as they are merely supporting the productive work of the project. And having them in the schedulecan distort float and drag calcualtions.

I recommend to may classes that they ensure they use a simple method of denoting LOEs (usually an "L" in a specific text field and a name that starts with the letters LOE so that they can (1) filter out LOEs when doing schedule analysis and drag calculation and (2) quickly see if an LOE migrates to the critical path, because it shouldn't be there.

Fraternally in project management,

Steve the Bajan

Gerhard Botes
User offline. Last seen 8 years 2 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Mike,

I agree to how you are thinking. He wantS all the control functions to be allocated to a 1 line activity that is the duration of the entire project.

Mike Testro
User offline. Last seen 4 weeks 6 days ago. Offline

Hi Gehard

I do not understand your problem.

Every activity on a project should be represented by a task on the programme - including design - procurement - delivery - installation - test etc.

Control issues such as cost and resource are then allocated to the relevant task.

What is that your new boss wants that is different to this?

Best regards

Mike Testro