Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Creating deliverable milestones within a work activity....explained below.

6 replies [Last post]
Brian Walkin
User offline. Last seen 18 weeks 6 days ago. Offline
Groups: None

I have an activity of work which has a defined begining date and duration. For this work there are several deliverable document items. I have set these as start miletones and related to the work activity with a start to start relationshbip.  The documents themselves don't alweays have successors but I don't want to leave an open end and thought i would coule make a Finish to Finish activity with the work activity. However P6 not letting me do that. I have never come accross this and not sure how to deal with it. i do need to show the deliverables as activities with milestone dates to track progress and of course some do have significant successor ties but not all.   

any guidance / suggestions appreciated.

work activity (5 weeks) 

SS deliverable milestone A

SS deliverable milestone B

SS Deliverable milestone C

a,b, and c need to be completed before the work activity can end.

Replies

Rafael Davila
User offline. Last seen 1 day 1 hour ago. Offline

As a workaround consider using FF links with ALAP logic.

ALAP-logic click the image and zoom.

Good Luck

Zoltan Palffy
User offline. Last seen 4 weeks 3 days ago. Offline

you said "P6 did let me do it in one place not in others. I would like to understand why."

look at where it let you do it

what was the activity type

was the predcessors a SS realtionship ?

was the successor a FF relationship

was the precdessor a start milestone ?

was the predcesssor a finish milestone

was the successor a start milestone

was the successor a finish milestone ?

was the predcessor and or sucessor a LOE activitiy type. 

look at where it worked in detail and then look for any anomolies of where you want to use it again and see what the differences are. 

Brian Walkin

Thanks for replying. I did clarify in a second post but somewhere above, not sure how the forum posts work. I keep posting twice as well.

I think what you describe and say isnt allowed is what I described as the hammock activity. While I still don't see why it isn't allowed as it is a real situation - P6 did let me do it in one place not in others. I would like to understand why.

I don't like the option of placing them as work steps as we lose visability in the schedule. 

Thanks Agsin

Brian Walkin

OK, so i changed the activityies from milestons to activities. P6 allowed me (ONCE) to create a SS predecessor  and a FF successor with the main activity. However it allowed me to do it in one place but not in others. I read in an Old P3 textbook that this was a hammock activity / relationship.

What are the rules for creating this relationship. I do not see any difference bewteen the two areas of the schedule. one allows the other doesn't.  I thought it was that i used a milestone rather than a Task dependent activity type but that isnt the difference. 

Tom Boyle

Brian,

You seem to be attempting circular logic.  I.e. Work Activity >(SS)> Deliverable A >(FF)> Work Activity.  P6 won't let you do that.

Suggestions, either:

1. Break Work Activity into a Start portion and a Finish portion, then tie your deliverables in.

2. Enter your deliverables as Steps on the work activity rather than milestones.

Good luck, tom

Zoltan Palffy

make a new activity D give it 0 days but keep the activity tyep as TASK not start milestone then you can tie to this