Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Cable Installation in ducting vs Direct Lay - Difference in planning terms?

3 replies [Last post]
Adam Garnham
User offline. Last seen 9 years 7 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

HI all,

I have a large programme for direct lay cable installation and have now been asked to create a ducted version. I'm not seeing any big differences between the two.

I would imagine you can lay all the ducting during excavation and backfill the trenchs and then pull the cable once all the ducting is in? Cant really see any other schedule alterations that would be required?

Feel like I'm missing a few tricks here so any advice very welcome.

Cheers

Adam

Replies

Mike Testro
User offline. Last seen 5 weeks 4 days ago. Offline

Hi Adam

Sorry your attachment did not open.

Of course pulling cables through a duct will take longer than laying cables in an open trench because you have two FS tasks instead of one..

Send me a private message so that I can recieve your file over email.

Best regards

Mike Testro

Adam Garnham
User offline. Last seen 9 years 7 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the comments. I have pulling bays/winches/etc/etc in the plan for pulling the cable through the duct, what I am struggling with is the opinion this is a faster way to lay cable, in my programme it would mean pulling the cable once all ducting is in the ground, rather that intermitant pulls once each section is completed; so it actually extended the programme rather than reducing it. 

This is what I have for trenching and pull on a single section, would you agree with the tasks listed? Excuse all the FS-lag logic I need to correct this as not my doing.

pppic.png

Mike Testro
User offline. Last seen 5 weeks 4 days ago. Offline

Hi Adam

There is a big difference between pulling cables through a duct and laying them in an open trench.

There is a limit to the length of cable that can be pulled in one go - depending on the size and type of cable.

Heavy cable will need a pull winch and intermittent pulling chambers are necessary.

The cost can be offset by not needing armoured cable.

Maybe they want a loose top precast U duct where the cables can be laid normally and the top place on before backfill.

Best regards

Mike Testro