Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Primavera P6.7 Baseline Comparison Problems

8 replies [Last post]
Ronnel Anthony Ce...
User offline. Last seen 5 years 6 weeks ago. Offline

Good day Planners & The Like;

I have a small problem, i am hoping its really that small.. well here it goes.

I have made a Baseline Schedule Schedule out from our very own initial schedule. and so it goes.. after a few months of updating and revisions to the monthly updated schedule, i thought why not see how our performance looks compared to the initial schedule which was the baseline.. Now after generating the baseline curves.. viola.. the cost curve and histogram form the initial schedule (baseline) does not match by a few margin of detail against the assigned baseline in the recent schedule update. (i am hoping you follow what i'm saying).

Now i dont know why the initial schedule (baseline) when assigned to the latest schedule update as a baseline would have changed in any way possible. Am i missing anything with P6.7.

I hope you can shed light on this.

Thanks,

Ronnel Anthony Celerio

Replies

MD ATEEQ UR RAHMAN .
User offline. Last seen 10 years 9 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Hi every body Iam new to this site , we have to continue our understanding by transfering the information.

Arnold Puy
User offline. Last seen 9 years 11 weeks ago. Offline

You are most welcome Ronnel, I will be glad to help..

Ronnel Anthony Ce...

Thanks Arnold for your insights.. i checked the settings and both settings are the same.. Thank you for the heads up.

Thanks again..

Arnold Puy
User offline. Last seen 9 years 11 weeks ago. Offline

Hi Ronnel,

The issue why you are getting the same value with the current schedule (Updated Schedule) against your baseline is sometimes because of the Assign Baselines... as shown in the image below: It sometimes happen that you assigned Project Baseline or User Baseline (e.g. Primary), however in your Project Settings, the one selected is the User's Primary Baseline or the other way around. Make sure that they are consistent each other. Likewise, make use of the correct Terms/Table (BL Project representing Project Baseline, BL1 representing Primary Baseline, so on and so forth)..

bl.png

bl1.png

Thank you

Cheers,

Arnold

Ronnel Anthony Ce...

Raymund,

Thanks for your insights, Early this morning while reading your inputs i tried making the baseline schedule into a baseline in itself. and guess what i got.. different values.. how come the same exported and re-imported baseline would yield difference, yet when using the claim digger to search for changes, the claim digger would yield no changes at all. So, things are quite strange lately. (i did a screenshot of the event and will save it as a reference)

Well, i tried restoring the baseline and removing it from the comparison and later on tried assigning the same baseline and repeating the same comparison i did earlier.. and guess what.. the cost curves are now identical. and again i tried restoring the baseline and assigned it to the updated schedule and this time, the values of the baseline via the cost curve are correct.

I guess this is one of the strangest P6.7 Glitches that i have encountered. I thank you for your effort in answering my post eventhough it sounds so strange.

This thing that happend is very strange and beyond my comprehension. i am glad that somehow it went well after all.

Thank you so much,

Ronnel Anthony Celerio

Raymund de Laza
User offline. Last seen 31 weeks 1 day ago. Offline

Ronnel,

In the Initial Baseline Schedule, Budgeted Cost of Resources is where the Cost Curves was derived.

In the Updated Schedule with a Baseline Attached (Initial Baseline), Cost Data of the Initial Baseline's Resources are not appearing in that Updated Schedule.

The Budgeted Cost of the Resources of the updated schedule shall be the same as the Budgeted Cost of the same Resources in the Initial Baseline.

Budgeted COst of the Updated Schedule changes due to the the following but not limited to "Duration Type" setting and "Resource Calendar" Setting.

In the Updated Schedule, what data you are referring to compare with the Budgeted Cost of the Initial Baseline?

Regards,

Ronnel Anthony Ce...

Raymund,

Good day, i compared the Cost curve of the Initial schedule vs the attached baseline cost curve on the updated schedule 4 months after.

Correct me if i am wrong but comparing baseline with planned values (budgeted) would yield different chart values (cost & labor). because the planned values would be the reflection of the latest schedule update.

I am comparing and noticing changes from the inithial schedule (baseline) vs the attached baseline curve on a updated schedule. i just dont know how it would have changes..

Thank you. i hope you can shed light on this.

Regards,

Ronnel Anthony Celerio

Raymund de Laza
User offline. Last seen 31 weeks 1 day ago. Offline
Ronnel, I would ask you if you compare baseline values with planned values? Regards,